Wet shoes (Read 1593 times)

therevolution

Hi everyone - I haven't really posted much here, mostly because I'm just returning to running after a stress fracture. Anyway. I've been running in Brooks Glycerin 5s and just bought a new pair because the website had them on sale (then I felt guilty about not going to the local running place). Today was my first run in them, in pouring rain. I ended up running through ankle-deep water at one point in the park by Milwaukee's lakefront. I remember reading on another forum that soaking shoes like this causes them to break down sooner. Any thoughts?

If you soaked them in acid, then yes, they will break down faster. If you let them dry before using them again, you'll be fine, unless you try to force them dry by putting them in the sun or near a heater (that's a bad idea.) Here's how I dry my shoes, whether they need it or not. (I rotate my shoes so that they always have a chance to decompress and dry out.) 1. Pull the insoles out to allow air inside the shoe to dry it faster. 2. Clean off any mud so that it doesn't cake onto the shoe and to allow it to dry faster. 3. Put your shoes onto a rack so that they can drip dry without creating a puddle that they sit in and to allow air to flow underneath them. 4. If they are sopping wet, put them in front of a fan. Not a heater - just a regular box fan that will push room temperature dry air over the shoes and wick away the moisture. I've written about shoe care quite a bit at my site. That's the basics for drying out a pair of shoes, and is the basis of the first half of my shoe care tips series that I wrote right before I got married. You might also be interested in reading The Running Shoe FAQ.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

I have stuffed wet shoes with newspaper in the past with good results.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We don't get a newspaper, I have stuffed mine with paper towel and it works really well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Supa Dupa Fly

Stuffing with newspaper is by far the best bet...it sucks the water right out of the shoe. I found if i put them on a rack/air dry/ etc that they would dry really firm and wouldn't be so comfortable next run out. ...but you really have to pack the newspaper in there as tight as possible with as much as you can get in the shoe (taking the soles out first).
            ~TC --There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't--
            jomike

A fan also will dry them quickly.
                I have stuffed wet shoes with newspaper in the past with good results.
                This is a good tip! Thanks.

- Anya

ultramarathon/triathlete

you could (should) get a second (or third, or fourth, etc) pair of shoes. This way between all runs they can be drying out, not just from puddles, but from sweat. I've also read/been told by a Podiatrist that you should get at least 2 pairs of different shoes. The idea being that different brands wear down differently and your feet will not get used to a certain wear pattern which may cause you to run a little less effeciently. Anyway, more than anything, it's another excuse to own lots of running shoes. Big grin

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team