Is it "wrong" to count official split times as PRs? (Read 615 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yeah. But how do I get it to show on RA as a PR, without creating a new workout, thus double-counting mileage?

You've probably tried this already but would a negative distance entry to offset it work? or doesn't the log allow negative entries?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Huh. Good idea; I haven't tried that. Though I did try something similar to track shoe mileage when I switched shoes during a race. That didn't work.

drca

I bet we can all find some new PRs if we mined our results enough. Off the top of my head I've got 5M, 15K, 10M, 25K, & 20M PRs buried in races of other distances despite having actually raced those distances.

This.

beat

Break on through

Bump. So, suppose I want to count a split as a PR. E.g., my 100-mile split at Desert Solstice 24-hour is my 100M PR. (Actually it's not just a split; there are official 100-mile results for everyone, separate from 24-hour results.)

How, on RA, can I record this, without duplicating the workout, thus the mileage?

Fortunately WG is no longer around to lambast me for counting a track run as a 100 PR over a trail run. (Hey, 100M trail PR is just a different thing. I track that too.)

MTA What ever happened to Goo?

Delete the original race entry, and enter two races in its place - a 100 mile race and a 44.71 mile race.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Delete the original race entry, and enter two races in its place - a 100 mile race and a 44.71 mile race.

Then he loses the 24 hr PR.

Dave

Bhearn - This isn't ideal, but you could enter the 100 as a separate PR, then go back through your log and reclassify some random training runs that add up to 100 miles as "other" rather than as runs. That way that "extra" mileage would be removed from your overall total. I use "other" as a generic catchall for anything I log that isn't running, but it seems that it would serve your purpose as well.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

bhearn

You've probably tried this already but would a negative distance entry to offset it work? or doesn't the log allow negative entries?

Yeah, doesn't work.

mikeymike

FFS you guys.

Runners run

drca

since the P stands for personal, you can count anything you want as a "Personal" record.

I used to run this "unknown distance" route with my son and he had a personal record time that he'd always try to beat.   It was simply known as the Lake Arlington 2 mile route, though it was somewhere in the 2.25 mile range, but the exact distance is still unnknown to this day. And it doesn't matter.

PRs are earned racing, you have to take into account all of the race day dynamics. IMO, personal just means yours, I don't think it's fair to define it as you wish.  It's your personal best for the distance, on the course.

bhearn

Hey. I just want to record my PRs on the place called "my PRs", in the place where I track my running. Is that too much to ask? FFS.

mikeymike

Is that too much to ask? FFS.

If your PR's include intermediate splits from longer races, yes.

Runners run

bhearn

Maybe, maybe not. I'm asking the technical question of how to do it. Anyway like I said I have an official 100M finish from this 24-hour race, two results lists. For that matter my 200K split at a different race is a certified age-group American record. You're telling me that's not good enough to count as a PR?

FWIW my solution was to create a duplicate workout, dated 50 years prior to the race. Then it doesn't mess up weekly or yearly mileage. Total mileage is missing a lot before I imported here anyway.

mikeymike

You're telling me that's not good enough to count as a PR?

I'm telling you no such thing. I too have PRs that are splits from longer races (along with PRs that predate the whole fucking internet.)

I'm telling you that just because something doesn't show up in the RunningAhead training log doesn't mean it didn't happen, and that going through this much effort to make the log do something it's not designed to do just so you can have your PR show up in a list that nobody but you and a few internet weirdos will ever look at is a little crazy. (Though, to be fair, certainly no more crazy than running 156 miles and such.)

The simple fix would be for Eric to write some code that lets you manually input PRs that aren't pulled from activities. It's come up as a feature request before and there may be valid reasons why he doesn't want to do that.

Runners run

bhearn

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, fair enough. Anyway I want to have a PR list I can look at for my own benefit, so it's worth trying to figure out. I think my hack is good enough.