Marine Corps Marathon (Read 810 times)

I'm considering this race for a fall marathon. First, the connection with the Marine Corps intrigues me and second, I've never been to Washington. A couple of questions: - which airport to fly into? Baltimore? Probably going to fly in from Buffalo, NY. - where to book a hotel? (VA, DC, MD?) Suggestions? I recognize a lot of this is probably on the website, but really, I am looking for some local knowledge. Specifically, those that have run it, are planning to run it this year or live in the area.
    ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Depending on airlines and what deals you get, the closest airport is Regan National and closest hotels are in Crystal city which is next to the airport, and near the start line.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

I'm considering this race for a fall marathon. First, the connection with the Marine Corps intrigues me and second, I've never been to Washington. A couple of questions: - which airport to fly into? Baltimore? Probably going to fly in from Buffalo, NY. - where to book a hotel? (VA, DC, MD?) Suggestions? I recognize a lot of this is probably on the website, but really, I am looking for some local knowledge. Specifically, those that have run it, are planning to run it this year or live in the area.
        Hey -- I grew up in Silver Spring (D.C. suburb) and live in Baltimore now. As for airports: BWI is the easiest to fly into and out of, and I know Southwest flys between Buffalo and Baltimore. That's probably your best bet. Even though it's further from the city than Dulles (in VA) or Regan (4 mi from downtonw D.C.) it's just an easier airport, IMO. MTA: WHOOPS!! Forgot that you won't have a car Blush I'm pretty sure you can take the Metro from Regan. As for hotels: since I've always lived in the area, I don't have a suggestion for hotels. The start is in Arlington, I think (I ran MCM in 2005), but you can get there easily by Metro from anywhere in D.C. or the Maryland suberbs.
        2009: BQ?
          I'm planning to run this as my first marathon. Online registration opens on April 30th at 11am central if you didn't know. I have no idea how quickly it fills up, or if there is a maximum, but why chance it. To your questions about airports and hotels, I can't help as I'll be traveling in as well.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Dave

The closest Hotel to both the start and finish is the Residence Inn on Army Navy Drive. Book it early. The Doubletree and Crystal City Marriot are also good candidates. The Crystal City Marriot has the advantage of being right on the Metro line. You can take the Metro to the Pentagon for the start and back from Rosslyn afterwards. All the hotels have shuttles from the airport. Fly into National as opposed to Dulles if at all possible. It is a great first marathon (I did my first last fall at the USMC). Super crowd support. Great views on the Mall.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I've only heard good things about MCM. This will be my third marathon. I ran Columbus in Oct/07, am running Mississauga (Ontario, CAN) in May/08, then, if all goes according to plan, MCM in Oct/08. I imploded at Columbus so will looking for redemption later this year...
                I would avoid BWI; National (DCA) is the best airport to fly into. You won't need a car, if you don't want to, because the metro is right there. As others have said, Crystal City or Roslyn (VA) are closest, but anywhere there is metro should work. That being said, I would highly recommend staying in somewhere you can walk to and from the race, because the metro is horribly crowded before, during, and after the race. I ran last year, and it is a great race, but very crowded throughout.

I'd avoid BWI too - rush hour traffic from there is atrocious. I flew into Dulles when I ran it in 2007 and didn't have much trouble, although it costs an extra $30. Since I was getting a ride from a friend and it saved him a few hours of driving, it was $30 well spent.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I knew a Navy corpsman who woke up to get together with his buddies to leave to drive to the race, at 0300 or something, to go work the whole day at the race. I understand it's all volunteer workers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Imminent Catastrophe

...I understand it's all volunteer workers.
                      Many, if not most are Marines, in dress uniform. That's one of the best things about the MCM--especially when you cross the finish line and, under the Iwo Jima Memorial, a Marine hangs the medal around your neck and says "Congratulations, Sir!" This is a must-do, IMHO. BTW, AmoresPerros, you probably know this, but one of the men in that memorial is a Navy Corpsman.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ajha

I ran it this fall and after spending a lot of time reading internet posts I took the advice of many runners and stayed at the Key Bridge Marriott in Virginia. It was so worth it to be within WALKING DISTANCE of the finish line! IT was a bit pricey - would have been cheaper if I booked earlier. It doesn't matter where you stay in Va. but check out distance from finish. The metro is majorly packed after with long lines. Taking the Metro to the race from our hotel was not a problem as long as you allow some time for crowds. We flew into Dulles which was not close but took a taxi and it worked out fine. I accepted at some point that I was spending a lot of money to go and just accepted it. Regan would have been more convenient. It was a great race -tons of crowd support and just a fun city to be in. Have fun! ajha

Just Be

I'm planning to run this as my first marathon.
                          Interesting, I was thinking about this as well as my first marathon since my comeback to running. I ran in a 10 mile race rencetly and talked to someone who had run in the MCM and he highly recommended it to me, as well as the Army 10 miler. I'm not sure that I'll be ready to compete in a marathon when it happens this year, but I should definitely be able to run the marathon distance at MAF.
                            BTW, AmoresPerros, you probably know this, but one of the men in that memorial is a Navy Corpsman.
                            If I am not mistaken, his name is John Bradley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bradley_(Iwo_Jima)
                            Kimmie

I've run Marine Corps once and spectated once. I agree with everything that's been posted already. I would only add that many people feel that the last 10 miles are the hardest of the race. Not as many specatators are on the 17th street bridge and then there's the stretch past the Pentagon. So, as long as you're prepared for that part, then you'll be fine.
                                I have run Marine Corps 3 times and will run again this year(as long as I get into it) I personally like BWI, but a few things to think about. If you want to rent a car I would go BWI. Better prices. If you don't want to rent a car and just want to see the sights in DC go with the closer National airportt and use the Metro. The only day it'll be bad is race day(expected) My husband says NOT to use Metro on race day to try to catch up to your runner. There are 4-5 points that you can walk to and not worry about getting on a train. They are very crowded and my husband says the 5 miles you end up walking is actually ok.I have to take his word on it(he is the one who is doing it) and he has never missed a spot he was suppose to see me. Good luck and I hope you do it. Kathy