Any experience weightlifting and training for marathon? (Read 1611 times)

I'll second the new rules of lifting recommendation and just about anything that Alwyn Cosgrove comes out with. Another option you might want to try is Ryan Lee's latest gadget called the Body Bot - the website just launched this past week. You can get a pretty good idea of how it works by watching the videos to see if it is something that you'd use, but the "workouts" last a total of 4 minutes. And by workout, they really mean sets, but they try to keep it simple for people that aren't used to weight lifting. I bought into it Friday night and have used it a couple of times. It's certainly easier than doing the workouts on your own with just a clock or watch. I belong to Ryan's private coaching club so I've been doing this type of workout for a while. Basically just tabata intervals, except that you can have a timer on your computer monitor w/a countdown timer and somebody doing the exercises so it's easy to get it done. I hooked the laptop up to the tv which made it much easier than trying to watch the laptop screen from a few feet away, but I think I might stick to the basement for any workouts that involve jumping. I'm going to be writing a review later today over at Run to Win if you want more thoughts on it. There are definitely some areas of the application that has some room for improvement, but in general it makes it pretty simple to get into weight training. MTA: Wrote up my review. Even created a video demonstration of what I do and don't like about it. http://news.runtowin.com/2008/06/08/body-bot.html

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

1. You need to schedule your weight lifting and running intelligently in order to be adequately prepared for your workouts and to get adequate rest.
      I always ask myself: when should I fit strength exercises relative to running? Any rules? On rest days, easy days, hard days, after or before runs? - R

I always ask myself: when should I fit strength exercises relative to running? Any rules? On rest days, easy days, hard days, after or before runs? - R
        It depends on your schedule, the workouts you are doing (both running and lifting) and what you enjoy doing. As a general rule, I try to keep my weight lifting workouts on separate days (or at least in separate workouts) from my running workouts, especially speed work. If I am going to combine lifting and running, then I try to lift first, run after for safety reasons. That being said, lately I have been lifting after my runs. My weight lifting has been high intensity and very short duration (2 sets of 4 minutes each) so I just come home, have a quick snack (like an apple or banana) do a couple of sets with the bodybot (see the review link a couple posts up) and then have another snack and jump in the shower. I am planning on doing a couple sets first thing in the morning before work every day, so they'll be separate from my runs most days, but this morning my wife wanted to join me and she was going out for an easy 20 minute walk/jog first so I jig jogged 5k before lifting. And by lifting, I mean body weight stuff which is all I did today.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The Greatest of All Time

Roll eyes
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.