Speedwork (Read 439 times)

So tomorrow I'm going to drive to a park that has a pretty flat trail and try doing some speedwork. Lately I've been just running my route around my neighborhood, not worrying about time and running slow. ( I live in western pa and I can get maybe a .5 mile stretch of flat road in my whole run, so my times look pretty crappy) I really don't mind the hills, I know it will make me better, but its hard to not get frustrated over my slow times. Anyways, I know I need to do speedwork, so does this sound right: I am going to warmup for about 1/2 mile then run maybe 3 miles at a hopefully 8-9 min/mile pace, then finish the 4 mile run at whatever pace I feel. It doesn't sound too complicated, just want to make sure its an ok plan. I'm going to try doing this twice a week, if I can get out to the park, instead of just running slower but longer the whole week. Another quick question, am I missing anything by not running on flatter trails? I mean, I lose so much time running up these hills that I forgot what even a 10 min mile is. I don't pick up speed going downhill so I feel like there is no where to make up time. Unless I drive somewhere which I hate doing, my routes consist of one tiny stretch of flatness and the rest pretty long hills. I'm just worried that the decrease in pace is going to hurt not help. Although I can't see how running hills all the time could be bad for me! (I know some of you guys could run up these hills and probably not be winded but I'm not at that point yet Smile Thanks! eta: my log looks pretty empty lately because I was away for a month at fort knox doing army stuff Smile I'm not slacking ha ha

Hawt and sexy

Honestly, since you are only going 15 mpw or less, it really doesn't matter. When it comes down to it, at 15 mpw every run could be speedwork if you wanted since there is no question that you will have ample recovery time. Also, at 15 mpw you could also skip speedwork since that is a level (very low mileage) that is just to encourage general fitness, not competitive racing. This would/will change big time once you get some goals listed. And since I live in NE PA, I would say you live in the flat part of the state. Hills at a training pace are good enough for most of the year really. Of course, life has caught up with me lately so my log is off. meh. Whatever trips your trigger.

I'm touching your pants.

I would suggest maybe a little more warm up and cool down of slow running than that, I would normally do at least 2km (mile and a quarter, roughly) before and after a tempo run, even when I was only running 20-30km a week. And the hills help you. You're building stronger legs, especially if you try to keep your form going up hills rather than start leaning way forward and pushing. If you've got the strength to keep your form on the downhills, I actually like to try to keep at a constant effort level, and whatever speed that comes out to is fine. By the way, Knox is one of the american bases I've been to, and I thought it was great. I was there to use the tank simnet in '99 and '01. Loads of fun. Thinking of it makes me wish I was still armoured. (and no, that's not misspelled, I'm just Canadian) Keep at 'er Craig
          Oh the days at Fort Knox in basic training in the middle of summer, thanks for the flashback, about your running now, you have to have a set goal, for example if your trying to improve your 5k time or mile time, then I think speed work is ok because it fits into the framework of what your trying to do, I don't do much speed work if I am training for a 10k, 15k, or 1/2 because you really don't use it that much in the event. Its summer time and I am trying to drop my 3k time, so I am running 3 to 6 miles a day very slow while just enjoying the run and going to try and drop my 3k time in the next 4 months before the cold so I am focusing a little on distance but more on the gearing up for the 3k times.
            If I were you, I would focus on getting my weekly mileage up to 20 miles per week (EASY PACE) for about 3 months or so.....and then start thinking about speed work..... Also, I would do my speed work on the track and only once per week (not to exceed 10% of your total weekly mileage). I think you would do better by running such things at 800M 3 times with a 400 M recover run in between (and other such runs)... Or in other words....Run twice around the track to warm up at a silly slow pace...... Then run twice around the track at a quick 5K pace....followed by once around the track at a very slow recoer pace.......do that 3 times........maybe 4 if you really feel good..... then run twice around the track to cool down at a silly slow pace again.....then go find a beer and a hot tub...cause you will be really tired.... I like this workout becaue its easy to rememer and I get confused when Im on the track cause I really get tired when running fast........There are lots of other really good track workouts....but this is an easy one for which I have found alot of success......but make sure you have your base mileage first..... I have really gotten alot of benefit from joining a running club that has a coach that helps with this type of stuff.......if there is a local running club, you should consider joining.........this is specifically the type of things they can help you with...by tayloring a program specifically to you.....like I said, it has really help me over the past few months. ps -- I started running in Army ROTC so I could pass the PT Test too.......

Champions are made when no one is watching