Oy, my ass! (Read 2565 times)

"standing desk" and/or "jefferson desk"

I've thought about implementing a setup like that at work, but I'm odd enough as it is.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xor

Is it called a jefferson desk because you are movin on up?

DespiteMyself

One of my colleagues just got something I call his "computer periscope". It's a stand that allows him to move his monitor and keyboard up and down so he can sit or stand as he sees fit. It's kind of funny to see him standing there like he's driving a submarine.

(I tried to find something similar on the web, but I didn't have the right keywords for my search.)

'Taint cheap, but looks like it works http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/tables/adjustable/airtouch/pages/overview.aspx

or http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Mobile-Technology-Carts

or http://www.computerdeskshowroom.com/IVG2/Y/ProductID-134966-.htm

key words were "height adjustable" and "desk"

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot run," then by all means RUN, and the voice will be silenced.

Jiggle Monster

Is it called a jefferson desk because you are movin on up?

I laughed.

DYNOMITE!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

xor

Only the people on the east side laugh.

I laughed.

DYNOMITE!

Now you're crossing sit coms.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              xor

True, but at least in the same supposed universe.

All in the Family begat the Jeffersons.

All in the Family begat Maude which begat Good Times.

Couple of things that have always been wonky about that:

1. All in the Family begat Maude only in the sense that there was one weird episode of All that set up the Maude series.  It wasn't like she was a fixture in All.

2. Florida Evans was Maude's housekeeper.  Maude lived in New York.  When Good Times popped up, Florida Evans lived in the Chicago projects. But it was the same character (although they changed the husband's name from Henry to James)

Julia1971

True, but at least in the same supposed universe.

All in the Family begat the Jeffersons.

All in the Family begat Maude which begat Good Times.

Couple of things that have always been wonky about that:

1. All in the Family begat Maude only in the sense that there was one weird episode of All that set up the Maude series.  It wasn't like she was a fixture in All.

2. Florida Evans was Maude's housekeeper.  Maude lived in New York.  When Good Times popped up, Florida Evans lived in the Chicago projects. But it was the same character (although they changed the husband's name from Henry to James)

My brother had some kind of Maude-o-phobia where he would freak out whenever he'd hear, "And then there's Maude" and then Bea Arthur would swing around and look sternly at the camera.  LOL!  I should call him and tease him about that.  Eh.  Maybe I'll just tell my nieces in case it can get them out of trouble in the future.

xor

Hey, I'm down with that.

McGarrett swings around and looks at the camera: GOOD.

Maude swings around and looks at the camera: EEEEEK.

You know, all those Norman Lear shows had somewhat (?) catchy theme songs... with generally impenetrable lyrics, especially pre-internet.  It was impossible to know what they were singing about in Good Times (there's a line that goes "hangin in a chow line", but it really just sounds like the lady singer is wailing like the chick at the end of Pink Floyd's Great Gig in the Sky).  And what was happening in the Jefferson's kitchen in the line before "beans don't burn on the grill"?  Maude has the line "Isadora was the first bra burner, aintcha glad that she showed up".  It took me 30 years to figure that out though.

xor

Oh.

My ass hurts too.

Indeed. Too young to know what a LaSalle was, I wondered what the hell a "salad grate" was.

My ass is fine.*

*(not what she said)

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        Julia1971

+1 on butt hurting.  I think mine is piriformis, though, so I've mostly just been doing stretching.  I do have to remind myself that it's not socially acceptable to massage your butt in public...  Yet!

I never liked the Jefferson's much.  Even as a 9 year old, i didn't understand why Weezy stayed with George.  I think Good Times traumatized me.  James dying and Penny getting abused...  Too much. 

xor

There were also two Lionels.

Which would have really concerned me if I hadn't recently lived through two Darrins.

Burned Penny with an iron.  That scared the shit out of me. 

+1 on butt hurting.  I think mine is piriformis, though, so I've mostly just been doing stretching.  I do have to remind myself that it's not socially acceptable to massage your butt in public...  .. I make a fist, sit on it, and wiggle back and forth, while driving. Seems like a perfectly normal thing to do, to me

Ugh sorry, on my phone