Tell me about Skype... (Read 603 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Do you use it? How do you like it? What sort of phone devices do you use with it? Were you able to keep your home phone #? We're thinking about switching our home phone over to Skype, rather than pay through the nose to Verizon when I use my cell phone for 90% of long-distance calls. I'd love to hear what users think of the service. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

freckles

I use it to call CAnada, Japan and Argentina from Scotland. I use a head set. I like it cos its cheap and the quality is generally good. I don't like it cos I only switch the computer on when I am using it so I miss a lot of calls on it.

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Another Passion

I thought skype were those imaginary animals the adults would send you out into the woods at night to hunt on camping trips? Confused Roll eyes

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought skype were those imaginary animals the adults would send you out into the woods at night to hunt on camping trips? Confused Roll eyes
          Ha, I've never heard that one... Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use it to call CAnada, Japan and Argentina from Scotland. I use a head set. I like it cos its cheap and the quality is generally good. I don't like it cos I only switch the computer on when I am using it so I miss a lot of calls on it.
            Ahhh...so if you have more than one log-in on a computer will it only work with one? I didn't even think about that issue, but it makes sense. Most of the time we leave the computer on, so that would pretty much require it. I'd been thinking about a headset, too. backroadrunner and I often will both read on RA and talk to each other on the phone while we do so--sure would be easier if I didn't have to cradle the phone with my shoulder and face...I get neck cramps that way! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

You can use SkypeOut to call a regular phone anywhere in the world from your computer, it runs a little over 2 cents per minute and the other party doesn't need a computer. Call quality is usually good but sometimes you get an echo.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Was that before or after they had you go ask all the other campsites to borrow their left-handed smoke shifters?
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can use SkypeOut to call a regular phone anywhere in the world from your computer, it runs a little over 2 cents per minute and the other party doesn't need a computer. Call quality is usually good but sometimes you get an echo.
                  I get that echo sometimes with my cell phone, so I think I could deal with that. Hmmm...this Skype thing is sounding better and better all the time.

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

That is Snipe Hunting. Smile Uh, yeah. Not that I would know about it or anything. Undecided
                    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Another Passion

Was that before or after they had you go ask all the other campsites to borrow their left-handed smoke shifters?
                      Usually after... was it supposed to have been before? Confused

Rick

Another Passion

That is Snipe Hunting. Smile Uh, yeah. Not that I would know about it or anything. Undecided
                        These are the same adults that let me ride my bike down the sidewalk path next to a tobaggon run at Pokagon State Park in Indiana after an ice storm. Shocked Modified to add: WITH NO HELMET! GASP!

Rick

If the person has high speed internet, you might want to consider using computers on both ends. I think skype to skype calls are free. I have a skype account but never really used it. modal (who had his first COMPUTER to COMPUTER VOIP experience in 1997 to Argentina... on macs runing.... dang OS 7... man I'm getting old)

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If the person has high speed internet, you might want to consider using computers on both ends.
                            We'd mainly use it as a way to keep our home phone #, if that is possible. My siblings, mom, MIL and I all have Verizon cells, so we talk for free to one-another that way. Most of my home phone calls are too and from Eryn or other general purpose calls. That's about it. k

~ Sarah Kay

Timbodeener

Not real sure about skype but most VoIP technologies can work with something called and ATA adapter (analog telephone adapter) and your regular home phone can plug into the ATA and the ATA into your internet router....no pc necessary. This is how providers like Vonage work....
                              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It sounds like you don't really need a land line at all.
                                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.