Where to buy shoes for cheap? (Read 1748 times)

pygirl

I recently bouhgt a new pair of shoes from a specialty running store. Staff confirmed that I need stability shoes. So now that I'm sure what I need, where do I go to buy them so it doesn't cost me $100!! Any good internet sites? Or any other suggestions?
      i always go to the local running stores and check out their returned shoes. These shoes are used once or twice by people and then returned to the store - allowed by some speciality stores if people dislike the feel when running. One local store, roadrunner, sold me a returned pair for $25, brooks adrenaline GTS7. They also bring all these shoes along to the expos for the la jolla, and AFC half marathons (although not for the RnR marathon) in san diego. I havent bought new shoes for several years. After christmas should be a good time to pick up these shoes, as a lot of people will have been bought presnets or just started running and not like the feel of the shoes.
        ps of course only get teh make and model that the running shop recommended - you have to be lucky...
          You may want to consider supporting that local shop, (especially if independent/locally owned) if just once. Shoes can be spendy, but at a specialty shop, you're likely to get service-help you won't get elsewhere (as it seems you may have here.) If you become a repeat customer, maybe you'll get breaks in the future. The one store I shop at lets you know of specials and gives some sort of "buy ten and save" deal or the like. Or you could take the knowledge learned from the full-price, one-time spend at the specialty store and apply it to future shoe purchases at say, an online place, of which there are many. Maybe just ask them: is there something similarly suited to me that's more affordable? I also never understood why support shoes seem to be SO much more than other types. [I speak with forked tongue on the advice though, because I'll also snatch up appropriate shoes (key word: appropriate) anywhere, like the god-knows-why-they-were-at-Marshall's Adidas racing flats I got for @ $20. No one should begrudge you a deal. And I apply the above advice to shoes, generally, as I can't see paying full price for what technical clothes seem to be ... er, "running." You can find steals at Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Ross, and online.] In the end though, your bottom line has to be your bottom line.
            I've had good luck with www.holabirdsports.com. Sometimes the local running store has a huge clearance sale too.
              I like to support the local running store, but, have also bought shoes on line from www.roadrunnersports.com , www.shoes.com, and eastbay.com They are all ok if you know what you're looking for.

SMART Approach

I recently bouhgt a new pair of shoes from a specialty running store. Staff confirmed that I need stability shoes. So now that I'm sure what I need, where do I go to buy them so it doesn't cost me $100!! Any good internet sites? Or any other suggestions?
                http://www.kellysrunningwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/affiliate/krw/Home.jsp

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Top 'O the World!

I've done really well w/last year's model ~ of my "recommended" shoe Wink
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    when i change models, i go to the local running store and try a lot of new shoes. then i buy a pair from them, sometimes two; the price is higher than you'll find on the web, but they have a really helpful staff. once i have a model that i like though, i buy pairs on the internet. type the name and model into yahoo shopping or google and you'll get a list of several internet retailers with prices so you can directly compare. i've never seen good prices from roadrunnersports, but holabird, eastbay, and even some places you wouldn't expect will show up in the price compare. since shoe companies change their models yearly, i have to revisit my running store every year or two to find a new model that fits and works. aaahh, capitalism...

flatland mountaineer

My local run store and I use that term loosely 'cause its 205 miles away has a vip club, that makes them very price competitive and they let DW and me buy under the same membership. It pays for itself after the first pair of shoes. I buy most of my shoes from them.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I have a few methods, which go from cheapest to most expensive: I win them at races. That doesn't cost anything since I would have run anyway. I buy them through my team sponsorship with Nike (25% off wholesale + shipping) - usually comes to $40-$45 per pair. I keep an eye out for deals - I've gotten shoes for $30-$50 this way. I buy last year's model of the shoes I like, usually at a close out at my local shop or at running expos: $70-$80 I buy them at my local running store, $85-$95 (or $115 if buying them for my wife)

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

50 halfs by age 50

If you know what you need, http://www.runningwarehouse.com http://www.roadrunnersports.com

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Maniac

I have a few methods, which go from cheapest to most expensive: I win them at races. That doesn't cost anything since I would have run anyway. I buy them through my team sponsorship with Nike (25% off wholesale + shipping) - usually comes to $40-$45 per pair. I keep an eye out for deals - I've gotten shoes for $30-$50 this way. I buy last year's model of the shoes I like, usually at a close out at my local shop or at running expos: $70-$80 I buy them at my local running store, $85-$95 (or $115 if buying them for my wife)
                            Oh...Okay, I'll just go win them. By the way, can you tell me where I can win a half marathon with a time around 2:05 or so?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Prince of Fatness

Like others I often go for last year's model. There are times that I have found them for up to 50% off. Another thing I do is to not wait until I need them to buy them. That way I am more likely to get my price. There's nothing wrong with having a couple of extra pairs in your closet.

Not at it at all. 

I have had good luck here: http://www.efootwear.com/