So...this running in the snow thing...how do I do it? (Read 2615 times)

For the first time in my brief running career ,I'm seriously considering going to the darkside and joining a gym with a TM. I ran outside all last winter,but there was very little snow. Yuk!

PS: I do go to the gyn and run on treadmill too though.  What gets me, to be honest with you, is to put on 4 or 5 layers, take them off and do it all over again (twice a day, everyday)...  You do get sick of that and, yes, excuse me, ladies; I just enjoy just pulling T-shirts and shorts on and run (no bra, no hair-do...).  Yes, only time I listen to iPod too.

what are lions?

replace the yaktrax every few winters, esp if you use them often. mine were 3 yrs old, and even tho i inspected them this am, one of them snapped early into my run, and i took a little tumble.

uncontrollable

PS: I do go to the gyn and run on treadmill too though.  What gets me, to be honest with you, is to put on 4 or 5 layers, take them off and do it all over again (twice a day, everyday)...  You do get sick of that and, yes, excuse me, ladies; I just enjoy just pulling T-shirts and shorts on and run (no bra, no hair-do...).  Yes, only time I listen to iPod too.

dress right, watch for cars/plows, get mentally focused & just do it - it may not be fast, ideal, or fun most times BUT it trains the body a little differently & proves you are tough mentally to get out there & do it ... TM is fine sometimes - alternate to prevent burn-out but if you want to be tough: get outside

peace

jfa

I'll suck it up and go outside most of the time, during the snowfall would be nice. Unfortunately, I had to go out and buy a clothes dryer during yesterdays blizzard. Yikes,a week before Christmas! Anyway,it was very icy in my neighborhood today because they have yet to plow. So I ran over to the Mayor's neighborhood and what do you know? Nice clean roads!

xor

I'll suck it up and go outside most of the time, during the snowfall would be nice. Unfortunately, I had to go out and buy a clothes dryer during yesterdays blizzard. Yikes,a week before Christmas! Anyway,it was very icy in my neighborhood today because they have yet to plow. So I ran over to the Mayor's neighborhood and what do you know? Nice clean roads!

The Seattle Mayor did not get re-elected this year because of something similar.  This time last year, we went through a 2 week snowstorm of record proportions for these parts... and the city handled it poorly.  Really badly.

And during all of this, while many of us were stranded in our houses...in my case for almost 3 weeks... because they refused to plow sidestreets and only used sand on major roads (which didn't make the snow go away, and merely turned the roads into moguls), the mayor publicly gave the city a big thumbs up and the random grade of "B" on how things were going.

So the TV news reported this.  Then flipped to the reporters-on-the-scene in the mayor's neighborhood and whadaya know, his streets were pristine.

Normally, I switch to trail runners with good rubber studs, like inov-8 x-talon212's. If it's real icy, I used to use yak trax, but replaced them with Kahtoola Microspikes and am much happier with them.

In addition to wool socks, I wear Merino wool baselayers in the winter, keeps you warm when wet.

Fresh snow is great for low impact stealth running.
              TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Running in the snow is just one of those deals for us Northerners.  Did 10miles yesterday and it was interesting how I found myself passing the time looking for traction on the sidewalks ...

Some stretches it worked well to run right along the edge of the snowy sidewalk and the snow banks ... some stretches there were bare spots that a guy could move around to , some stretches it was better to just run in the snow than try the pavement.....

...  and then there are those rare clear stretches... where the combination of snowblower, shovel, and sun had done their work.  

It was a good run but I know by February I'll be ready for clean sidewalks again.     

Tim 

Tim 

Mariposai

Rural girl here. I run on snow or icy conditions all winter long. With the first snow fall I switch my training mode form pace goal to minute’s goal, this way I feel free just to run for one hour or two and not worry about the pace. I use Smartwool for sock (any other time my faves are at the balga socks), the Smartwool tend to keep my feet fairly warm. I relay on my  yacktrack for safety precautions. I tend to run predawn, so I run on t he road since there is very little traffic and I just step aside when I see any incoming traffic. I always carry a cell phone with me and an have an ID tag on my coat. I always make sure I leave the map of my route for the dwellers in my home and I never go faster than my gut instead tells me to go. Good luck. Running in the snow is a lot of fun, but a bit more work than on bare roads.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Can you run on any trails, so you're out of traffic?

Around here, some trails get packed down quickly by xc skiers, snowshoers (hiking or running), fat tire bikes, etc. Some multi-use trails are packed and groomed, and they're usually the best. (avoid ski-only trails unless on skis). I'll use running snowshoes if it's not too deep, xc skis for deeper stuff. Or when desperate, there's a road (about 700m) besides an abandoned railroad that I can usually safely run because of little traffic.

If on roads or asphalt bike paths, I normally use my trail shoes, but will add something like ice joggers or screw shoes if really icy. (yak trax are too dangerous on ice - haven't used mine in years). Actually if it's that icy, I take a recovery day, or some strength supplemental training in  my living room. There's actually a better version of ice jogger (32north? or something like that) that we can get in something like Costco for $10. Essential for parking lots up here.

http://home.att.net/~akrunning/TractionDev/index.html#top

I use either smartwool or neoprene socks most of the time, but have experimented with winter drymax on occasion.

Have fun!!

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    DanMoriarity

Here's an article I wrote with  a few ideas on winter running:  

www.squidoo.com/safewinterrunning

This is my first winter season of running and i NEVER thought I'd actually go and run during the winter in MN. I just purchased a pair of Saucony Progrid Razors. I have two runs in them so far, a 3.1 miler and a 11.3 miler. Shoes feel really good, but I should have put a few lesser mileage runs on them before the 11 miler as I developed a blister on my little toe. The temp was around 22 with about a windchill of 15 or so. My feet were much warmer in the Razors then my Pegasus shoes. I don't foresee getting any special socks for them besides some moisture wicking socks because my feet were quite warm.

I also wear a Champion C9 hooded long sleeve tech shirt, long sleeved tee shirt and a Brooks Nightlife lightweight jacket. For pants I either wear a pair of Champion C9 tights or a pair of SportHill XC pants. The SportHills are much warmer so I'm using those when the temp and windchill fall into the single digits.

I'm with Nobby, I have been trying to run mainly where I can find good footing and will run in the wheel path on the roads when there are no cars. When I see a car coming, I will run in the wheel track until the get a couple hundred feet away, then step of to the side. We are talking about local traffic roads and the average speed when the snow is present is about 20 mph. I don't see myself getting any traction devices for my shoes, just slowing down and looking for good footing.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I dont mind running in some snow, and I haven't  found a temperature that I can't dress for and run in, but there is a point when its icy, dark and the roads are too narrow that I stop feeling safe to go out (even with reflective gear)...

Also in the dark its hard to see the black ice when things melt and freeze again........

And sometimes (like this past Sunday morning)when there is already 5 or 6 inches of snow on the ground and its falling at about 2 inches per hour, that running out of doors begins to seem like a bad idea....

So - for me there is a point when I will retire to the TreadMill and run while watching TV....I dont  generally like it but I have found that sometimes its the best alternative...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I never worried too much about shoes/socks or how I run in the snow.  Just get out and run.  Sure, you'll be running slower--inevitable.  Footing is bad and your ankles and calves might get sore from extra stretching...  Just be careful.  Always run against the traffic so you can see them.  Never trust the drivers (including yourself when YOU are driving).  When the car go by, slow down and be extra careful.  My nightmere is to slip in the wrong direction just as the car goes by...  Could happen! 

Do NOT worry about minute-per-mile or how many miles you're running.  Bascailly, forget what your Garmin tells you.  That won't mean anything in running in the snow.  Go by effort--how you feel.  ...

...So what if your feet get a little bit wet; it happens and, as long as you keep on running (unless you do run/walk), you'll be fine.  I've worn shoes with ventilation holes on the bottom and that sucks if you step in a slush but you'll live...

Embrace running in the snow.  That'll bring a kid in your heart back out.  Have fun and think snow!

+1

I ran in the snow (during the snow) on Saturday - got a little wet, but feet were quite warm - I was wearing Balega socks.  The footing was a little tricky when turning around so I just had to be careful.  No falls, thankfully.  The run was great!  The cars were not - people on cell phones, driving very fast, throwing up wet snow from the tires.   Staying clear of them was a little tricky too, but doable. Just be very aware of what's going on around you. 

I'm noboby, who are you?

The sidewalks are not cleared and the roads are really slushy and more narrow that usual.  Do I make it extra tough and run through the snow on the sidewalk or do I make it extra dangerous and run on the road?  Any tips for keeping my feet relatively dry?   Thanks!

Proper socks as most have suggested. Some like yak trac but I prefer screws and they work great. I use them for snow and they are great on trails. I use road shoes and add or subtract screws. Least you think I'm screwy check out 

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Imminent Catastrophe

Has anyone tried Gore-Tex shoes and gaiters?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016