So...this running in the snow thing...how do I do it? (Read 2615 times)

kcam

Why don't you guys that run in the snow use cross country spikes?  Are thy not 'enough' shoe?

Slo

Why don't you guys that run in the snow use cross country spikes?  Are thy not 'enough' shoe?

They work too. But they're not much good to me if I want to do a 7 or more mile run on a regular basis.

Haven't bothered buying any since college and sheet metal screws are much cheaper. My trail shoes are light enough that for the few cross country races available in my area it isn't worth buying a new pair of shoes.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

kcam

Haven't bothered buying any since college and sheet metal screws are much cheaper. My trail shoes are light enough that for the few cross country races available in my area it isn't worth buying a new pair of shoes.

You are totally right about the screw shoes being much cheaper.  I tried out screw shoes once on a very muddy 6.1 mile course that also had about .75 miles of asphalt.  I slipped and slid all over the place and at the end found that most of my screws had pulled out.  Mighta been the asphalt or maybe I didn't do it right.  I'm a bit of a gear-head so I'll probably buy some spikes for next year.   I'm watching running warehouse for some closeouts on spiked XC shoes.  Right now they have ASICS spiked XC shoes for $39.99.  They're ugly but what the heck?  I run enough XC races that it's probably worth the cost.  I'm also planning another snowshoe trip and I may try them out on groomed roads/trails.

Prince of Fatness

If it is just snow I prefer trail shoes .... no spikes or screws.  I went on a trail run this past weekend on about 3 inches or so of powder.  I had to go a little slower but my traction was fine.  Where the screws really help is on solid ice.  I don't know if I would ever use spikes on the trails because they are real slippery if you step on something hard like a rock.

Not at it at all. 

I've never had a problem with screw shoes on dry pavement...I hear them clack but otherwise don't notice them.

If it is just snow I prefer trail shoes .... no spikes or screws.  I went on a trail run this past weekend on about 3 inches or so of powder.  I had to go a little slower but my traction was fine.  Where the screws really help is on solid ice.  I don't know if I would ever use spikes on the trails because they are real slippery if you step on something hard like a rock.

I enjoy lake running and most of my trails involve crossing streams and rivers or are in areas that flood and get icy. Smile

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

L Train

I had to go a little slower

How is this possible?

Dammit.  January 11.

Prince of Fatness

Dammit.  January 11.

I knew that if I kept posting enough stuff that you would buckle.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

+1

But I used wood screws

I have never had one pull out yet

sparks do fly on pavement

I've never had a problem with screw shoes on dry pavement...I hear them clack but otherwise don't notice them.

I enjoy lake running and most of my trails involve crossing streams and rivers or are in areas that flood and get icy. Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

You should run slow.

These guys took almost 26 minutes to cover 5.1 miles, but they're probably not used to it.

Some good pics there. Shows just how steep that hill was. I had actually not even noticed the great performance from Andy Vernon to come in just behind Sergey Lebed (wrongly called Lebid by LR).