The Inaugural Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon (Read 816 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Guess what I get to do with my spare time...that's right, organize a new, tough as nails marathon in Nashville, TN. Here you go- Introducing the Inaugural Running of the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon November 19, 2006 - Percy Warner Park - Vaughn's Creek Entrance www.harpethhillsmarathon.com The website says- Ours has become an age of flat and fast marathons on city streets and in urban jungles, with more focus on times, course certification, gadgets, charities and putting on a big show than on running. Many modern marathons have become spectacles rather than athletic events. But it was not always this way. Marathons used to be about running for the sake of running. They were about pushing oneself beyond the physiologic limits of the human body. While running. The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon is meant to be an antidote. It is a marathon that is about running. Running hard. Running over big and memorable rolling hills and through dense woods. Running with other like minded athletes. The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon is about the joy and pain of running a unique, and uniquely challenging--some would say beastly--26.2 mile course in the beautiful and historic Percy Warner Park, nestled among the Middle Tennessee Harpeth Hills. We will time and measure the distance, but the course will not be certified, we will not use timing chips, and it will not be a Boston qualifying event. There will be no bands, cheerleaders, wave starts or crowds. We promise no marathon Personal Records, but we guarantee every runner a PR - a Permanent Remembrance of a well-earned marathon finish. We promise to give you approximately 26.2 tough and memorable miles, with a total of 2500 feet of elevation gain and loss. Come out and join us in Nashville this fall. We look forward to seeing you.
    vicentefrijole

Sounds like a great event! Personally, I like flat/fast urban jungles Big grin , but I have to admit this sounds like a fun challenge... and the terrain looks beautiful! I think I'll add it to my list (of runs to complete in my lifetime).
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Trent, That's a very nice race site! It's clean and easy to navigate. Good job! Too bad I didn't know about it sooner. Otherwise, I would have bought up all 100 spots so that I could come in first and win something for once (since there are no refunds and no transfers Wink )

You'll ruin your knees!

I love the lore of the Flying Monkeys! Shocked Wink It is a great site and looks like a great race...now, just lose the pavement and throw in some bad weather, roots and rocks...now THAT'S a race! Good luck with the race! Sounds like a lot of fun... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks folks! I appreciate the kind words. The park has a bunch of trails, but the Park admin does not want us running on them. But the roads are beautiful too, despite the surface. I plan to put more park pics up this evening.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

New pics are up on the website. www.harpethhillsmarathon.com Then click on "Photos"
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If anybody is thinking about flogging themselves by participating in this race, it is now 70% full. Only 30 slots remain, and the pace of registration seems to be increasing.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

I went to look at the pictures and it tells me the site's down. Sad It sounds like an interesting race. Have a great time with it! Janell

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eric, there seems to be a bug in how your site handles links. Click on the one above and you will see that my site is concatonated with yours in the href. Wingz, copy and paste the link into your browser and it should work. T
                    eric :)

Eric, there seems to be a bug in how your site handles links. Click on the one above and you will see that my site is concatonated with yours in the href. Wingz, copy and paste the link into your browser and it should work. T
                      Trent: Thanks for bringing it to my notice. I accidentally introduced a bug when I switched over to use HTML based tags. It is now fixed. By the way, since it's HTML tags, you can do something like: < a="" href="http://www.harpethhillsmarathon.com" />The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon, which will look like: The Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Awesome, thanks! Hey, I noticed that the old [url] tags are not backwards compatible. I manually converted the ones above in this thread, but I don't know if there are others out there. T
                        eric :)

Awesome, thanks! Hey, I noticed that the old [url] tags are not backwards compatible. I manually converted the ones above in this thread, but I don't know if there are others out there. T
                          I did a query against the database and couldn't find any [url] tags so I think they are all converted. I'm not sure what happened to your link in this thread though... Anyway, I saw the pictures for the marathon course. It's a beautiful place! Some of the pictures show how hilly it is as well.

The Floor Walker

Wow! Just looking at the elevation chart is making my legs cramp Shocked
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow! Just looking at the elevation chart is making my legs cramp Shocked
                              Yikes! Looks very pretty, though, Trent!

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There will be some suffering in November. Feel free to join us Wink