Where did you buy your treadmill? (Read 747 times)

zonykel

I got a precor (cheapest model) from a local fitness supply store. I got free delivery and installation. You can order from amazon.com as well, and get free shipping, but you'd have to pay about $200 for installation, unless you want to do a self install. For the model I bought, apparently the install is fairly straightforward, but you'll probably need to people to do so.

You can also get a used one from craigslist, but you won't have any warranty. But the price will be a lot cheaper.

Roadrunner's Apprentice

We recently bought a new NordicTrack from Sears.  We went with Sears for our 1st treadmill also (a ProForm).  No complaints.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...

lagwagon

Bought my True PS 800 from Gymsource, an east coast fitness supply company.  The True is rock solid and has a big deck (that's what she said!), but is a higher price point too.

I did a lot of research and ended up with the True b/c i wanted something reliable, study and stable (I'm 6'2 and was over 200# at the time).  Picked Gymsource b/c they are local and have a good reputation when it comes to install, service and repair.  I had a minor issue after install, and they came out and fixed it immediately (a wire harness slipped during shipping and was making a banging noise).

Anyway, I think you're smart to be looking for a reputable dealer.  Good luck.

Strict WTF adherent

I've been looking locally so I can save on shipping (Sports Authority, Academy, Sears, Dick's, Walmart, craigslist). 

Where's locally?

Find out who does the maintenance for your local gym. They'll likely be able to get you a line on a refurb for short money, and will be able to help you with maintenance/repair needs..

Wing

Joggaholic

I bought a LIVESTRONG LS13.0T Treadmill from a local store last Christmas. It was on sale, 65% off, so it was under $1k. It is great and quiet.

http://www.livestrongfitness.com/product/ls130t-treadmill

By the way, I heard that Livestrong uses the same motor as Horizon, but it is much cheaper than Horizon.

Like others say, try it on high speed and listen if the noise is unbearable.

One time I ran on a treadmill in a hotel. It was terrible, the noise was unbearable.

MTA: add Horizon info.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Hi David, for how long have you had the LS? I take it you have had no issues or complaints about it? I'm eyeing the LSPro1 right now, since it seems comparable to the NT 1750 but cheaper. Too bad none of the Dicks nearby have them in stock for trying on, maybe I'll see if I can set on foot on the 10T and 13T and assume they'll be similar to the LSPro1

Wing

Joggaholic

An update.

Went to Dick's Saturday to try out some treadmills. The sales guy tried really hard to sell me the new Epics, but I insisted on testing the Livestrongs as well. Tried the LS10T and LS15T. The 10T seemed a little shaky when run on, but the 15T was really stable. Too bad they don't have the LSPro1 which I was interested in. Also went to Sears to tried out the NT 1750. The running surface felt fine to me too, a whole lot more bells and whistles on the console though, which seems nice but I'm always weary of electronics failing, plus it's more pricey than the LS.

Saturday night I ordered the LSPro1, because the "promotion" on their website is supposed to end Sunday. Today I decided to check on their website again for no good reason. Whoa, new "sale price" is now $200 less than what I paid 36 hours ago! I immediately called their sales to "politely" inquire about it. So 20 minutes later I'm happy again, getting $170 back and got a 2 yr extended warranty for only $30.

TM pricing seems so arbitrary to me...

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Hi David, for how long have you had the LS? I take it you have had no issues or complaints about it? I'm eyeing the LSPro1 right now, since it seems comparable to the NT 1750 but cheaper. Too bad none of the Dicks nearby have them in stock for trying on, maybe I'll see if I can set on foot on the 10T and 13T and assume they'll be similar to the LSPro1

I have it for almost a year now. no issue or complaint at all. It is still great. Once you get your LSPro1, you can download Livestrong training programs from their website if you are interested. The livestrong website is not the most intuitive to find the download. Their search function is useless.

Once you login livestrong.com site (not other websites, they have several different domains for different purposes), Hover over your mouse cursor to your loginID, click myPlate on the dropdown menu -> Equipment -> download workout -> Download Treadmill programs.

On my model, I have Manual, Speed Intervals, Peak Intervals, Weight Loss, Get Stronger, Mountain Climb, 5k, 10k, Custom, THR Zone, HR Intervals, etc. There are several levels on each program. I found some are very difficult.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

phred_qz

My general advice  is to get the treadmill to fit your running numbers. I use mine for runs up to 20 miles in the winter, so needed something with a motor that could handle that without freaking out!

I have a Pacemaster that is now 3 years old (the company is Aerobics inc).  We spent about 2500 for the thing, so it was on the high end of the price point but it's very pleasant to run on vs some cheap ones I've tried at hotels and such. It stays pleasant to run on (as much as a treadmill can) for runs of 1-2 hours, which is well worth paying good $ for.  There are tons that work well for 30 minute runs though, so if you're planning for more 30 mins run than 90 min runs, no reason to buy more treadmill than you need.

We use ours quite regularly and do not hang clothes on it, which was my concern when we made the investment (I know too many folks who get then and then dont' use them after a few months). As long as you're able to test it out and like it - you should be good! 

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

20 miles on a treadmill!!!! Ouch.  Farthest I have run on a treadmill is 20 km.

Feeling the growl again

20 miles on a treadmill!!!! Ouch.  Farthest I have run on a treadmill is 20 km.

23 miles was fun.  I was trying for 30 but had some muscles lock up when I stepped off for fuel.  It's a lot easier with a flatscreen/DVR hooked up to a Bluetooth transmitter and headphones.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Okay, this brings up another point.  Although I am happy with my treadmill, it is very loud.  I purchased a pair of wireless headphones to watch tv with but they are pretty bulky and not great after an hour of running.

Any suggestions on wireless headphones?

We recently bought a new NordicTrack from Sears.  We went with Sears for our 1st treadmill also (a ProForm).  No complaints.

I've had a number of people recommend that I NOT buy a Nordic Track from Sears, but I did so anyway and I've had it for 2+ years and not had any complaints......works well and cost around $750 or so........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Wing

Joggaholic

Here's my 1 week update on the LSPRO1. I'm feeling giddy because I found something I didn't expect. You can actually program that thing! (*nerd alert*!). There's the advertised "hard way", which is punching in a series of numbers on the keypad (for incline, speed, distance), or you can download their "custom programs" on the web, reverse engineer their xml instructions, write your own conversion script (so you can write human-readable instructions and convert them into xml), and then upload your custom program to the TM via the USB! Woohoo! I had so much "fun" with the treadmill I forgot to actually run on it...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

<Like>

Here's my 1 week update on the LSPRO1. I'm feeling giddy because I found something I didn't expect. You can actually program that thing! (*nerd alert*!). There's the advertised "hard way", which is punching in a series of numbers on the keypad (for incline, speed, distance), or you can download their "custom programs" on the web, reverse engineer their xml instructions, write your own conversion script (so you can write human-readable instructions and convert them into xml), and then upload your custom program to the TM via the USB! Woohoo! I had so much "fun" with the treadmill I forgot to actually run on it...

That's a better use for a TM than a big heavy clothes hanger.