What would be more accurate? (Read 1305 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

When bike riding do you think the Garmin or a cheap bike computer would be more accurate? The computer is only $45 so not much of a cost but since I already have the garmin I'm not sure besides the cadence what I would need it for unless it would be more accurate. The one I am looking at: The Strada Cadence includes 8 important ride features plus cadence in a minimalist case. The Strada provides current speed, average speed, odometer, maximum speed, 2 trip distances, elapsed time, cadence and a 12/24 hour clock. Includes: Computer, mounting bracket with rear wheel wired speed sensor, stem/handlebar mount, and a wheel magnet.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Scout7

Bike computer. It's usually calibrated to the wheel size.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Bike computer. For what Scout said. Also, with a Garmin, I imagine you'd experience the same issues with "instantaneous speed" that you get when running (unstable reading due to small number of sample points). It might not be as jumpy, but it still wouldn't be as immediately accurate and stable as a bike computer,

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

kcam

I think the bike computer COULD be more accurate. I've only had one bike computer (and I used to use it pre-garmin to measure out my running routes) and I calibrated it on the bike I was using. I'm not sure how accurate that cal was so I think if you're very careful about calibrating it then the bike computer would be more accurate.
            I agree that the bike computer would be more accurate. However, you also mention you already have a Garmin... the Garmin isn't so inaccurate I'd buy another computer. What I have noticed, though,is that reading a Garmin on my wrist is inevitably a little bit more difficult than reading things like speed and distance on the bike computer, so that's something to keep in mind. As far as cadence goes, I've always felt a decent rider can get a feel of this rather quick, so I wouldn't obsess about it.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

A Saucy Wench

I agree that the bike computer would be more accurate. However, you also mention you already have a Garmin... the Garmin isn't so inaccurate I'd buy another computer. What I have noticed, though,is that reading a Garmin on my wrist is inevitably a little bit more difficult than reading things like speed and distance on the bike computer, so that's something to keep in mind. As far as cadence goes, I've always felt a decent rider can get a feel of this rather quick, so I wouldn't obsess about it.
              I'm with marcus - I wouldnt buy another one. I had problems with accuracy with bike computers even with careful calibration. But I dont strap mine on my wrist when I ride, I put it on the handle bars. A velcro wire tie may help if it is too loose. I dont ride much though, if you plan on getting serious about riding I probably WOULD shell out the $45 then

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

TRIing to beat the heat!

Dedicated bike computer. I have a 'wired' Trek Incite on my bike that also calculates candence. I think it cost less than $50. It's 'real time' and I like having it right under my nose when I'm down in my aerobars. It keeps me honest. Wink I also have a Garmin and a Polar, but I honestly rarely look at my watch during the bike leg of any of triathlons or during training. Maybe I'm just used to the cycling computer.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

A bike computer. You will need to be careful calibrating it by measuring the wheel circumference with the tires you are using. I would get the bike computer if your training on your bike, especially because it has cadence. - R