I wish I could run as fast as these guys walk (Read 1049 times)

Man in Tights

I'm watching the Olympic 50 km walk race on TV.The athletes have already covered 40 km in 2:54. Many of us would love to run the marathons in that time. That's over 14 kmph. Awesome

Future running partner.

I'm watching the Olympic 50 km walk race on TV.The athletes have already covered 40 km in 2:54. Many of us would love to run the marathons in that time. That's over 14 kmph. Awesome
      Imagine getting a BQ without doing any running! Big grin
        But it looks so uncomfortable! ... I have no idea, never tried it but it does look like it would be hell on the joints.
        The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
        • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
        • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
        • Complete a 10K fun run
          I got to hold the finish line tape for the walkers part of a 5k run/walk race once. It was pretty cool to see the first place walker come towards me at the end. That guy was booking it, but yeah, it did look like a rather uncomfortable way to go abouts it.

Right on Hereford...

Friggin' gallowalkers... Roll eyes Big grin
            JakeKnight

Friggin' gallowalkers...
              Are they allowed to take short running breaks?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Menace to Sobriety

Racewalking, what's the point? It's like seeing who can whisper the loudest.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Man in Tights

Strange and awkward as it may seem it's sure is a facinating sport. At any point the walker must have one foot on the ground or be disqualified. Given that constraint the pace they generate using their ankles and hips is simply awesome. It's certainly different from running but equally gruelling. To sample the feeling set your treadmill at 14 kmph and try walking. They also have course martials following these guys every step of the way to ensure they stay honest.

Menace to Sobriety

Yeah, its very technical. I think it was in Athens where a bunch of them got DQ'ed for violations.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Yoda the 4-eared cat

Racewalking, what's the point? It's like seeing who can whisper the loudest.
                      I don't know what motivates race-walkers to go into this sport rather than running (they are obviously already suited to endurance sports) but the father of a friend of mine was a long-time runner but went into race-walking after chronic injuries stopped him running. Maybe that's a reason for the sport: it's as demanding as running for an endurance athlete but lower impact and more technical. After all, it's not just about speed otherwise all swimming disciplines beside freestyle wouldn't exist. Assuming Freestyle is the fastest, I actually have no idea Confused
                      JakeKnight

After all, it's not just about speed otherwise all swimming disciplines beside freestyle wouldn't exist.
                        Interesting thought ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

... At any point the walker must have one foot on the ground or be disqualified...
                          Failure to do this is called "lifting". Another thing not allowed is "creeping". Racewalking requires that the knee be locked (with leg straight) at the moment of ground contact, and must remain locked until the body (hips, center of mass) passes over the knee. Failure to do this is "creeping". The prohibition on creeping is probably what requires some of the "funny-looking" hip motion in racewalking.