Please help, how should I taper 3 weeks before marathon race with inflamed bilateral ITBs? (Read 61 times)

yodarun

Hi.  I have two weeks until my marathon.  My ITBs on both lateral knees are sore.  I have completed a 20 miler without walking 5 weeks before race day but both knees were tight around mile 15.  I completed a 16 miler 4 weeks before race day and started having soreness in both knees around mile 9 but was able to finish the run without walking.  3 weeks before race day I tried another 20 miler, but had knee pain around mile 6 but was able to run until mile 14 before I had to stop and walked the remaining 6 miles.  Earlier in training, I logged a successful 18 miler and another 16 miler.  5 days since my last terrible run, I am walking around pain and tightness free, but going down stairs still shows some mild tightness in the knees but no pain.  I have done two 30 and 50 minute elliptical sessions since my last run with no pain or tightness during the sessions.

Question: I would still like to race.  How would you taper in the final 3 weeks?  Is it better to take the entire 3 weeks off from running and just do cross training (elliptical or bike) and strengthening/stretching exercises for my hip and glut muscles OR should I attempt to run some if it doesn't hurt at all?  One school of thought says to run some to stimulate the healing process, BUT on the other hand, I can see the logic in taking the entire 3 weeks off from running to maximize the chance of healing and focus on the cross training to keep fitness up and joints loose.

My goal is just to finish the race, no time goal at all for my first ever marathon.  I have over 15 years of consistent running experience of 3-4 days per week, but lower weekly mileage totals of 12-15 miles per week.

Thanks for any tips you can give me!

robin from maine

I would take the whole time off. I tried to run with an injury afetr my last long run before taper, and couldn't even start. You will not lose that much fitness, but you make your current problem much worse.

kilkee

runktrun

I agree with robin about erring on the side of more or complete rest.  Since you just want to finish the distance, and if walking doesn't currently bother you, I would suggest adding in more walking to just keep up the "time on your feet" similarity to race day.  If you find you've been completely pain free for a few days, you could cautiously throw in a few minutes of easy running in the middle of your walks, but don't over do it.

It might help and probably wouldn't hurt to incorporate some basic strength and stability, if you're not already doing it, or step up your core and hip stability game if you already are doing something.  ITB problems at the knee are often the result of some imbalance elsewhere, usually your hips.

Good luck, don't freak out.  Undertrained and pain free is a far better place to be than overtrained and injured, so rest as much as you need.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

berylrunner

Rick

Someone has to say it.  Cancel your race.  Do you want your first to be a DNF or a painful slog? Take some time off.  Figure out the issues and start a new training block with a bigger mileage base.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runnin gal

Does the event you've been training for offer a half marathon? Maybe you could rest and do the half rather than have a disappointing/painful  first marathon.

yodarun

Yeah, I am concerned.  It is the Austin marathon which is a hilly course.  Going down short hills during training was not fun.  Up hill isn't too bad at all, but given the nature of this course, I would be fighting BOTH the distance AND the course.  There is another marathon that is completely flat in Galveston that I could do on the same day.  There is a half option, but quite frankly, I have no interest in the half.  I ran so many times past 13.1 miles during training, that I wouldn't feel my ultimate goal would be accomplished.  Some of you feel that it might be worth and go and others feel that it wouldn't be.  I really wish I knew whether 3 weeks off from running would be enough time to heal it and give it a legitimate shot???

kilkee

runktrun

If you trust yourself enough to show restraint and good judgment, you could make the trip if everything is already booked and paid for, start the race and make a game day decision after the first mile or so.  Only do that if you think you can make the decision to DNF and not get carried away with the race excitement.  I do NOT recommend taking 3 weeks off and running the entire race if it hurts just to finish.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

yodarun

The marathon course I signed up for is a hilly course with 892 feet up and 846 feet down.  There is another marathon in the area 4 hours away on the same day that is extremely flat.  I imagine that the flat course would certainly be easier, but how much true difference do you think it would make to switch courses given the ITB issues?  How many here, if you decided to give it a go if you had my current issues, would switch courses?

Seattle prattle

I don't know what to tell you. ANd if I did, it wouldn't be of much value other than to let you know how i handle things, which probably wouldn't work for you.

Giving it a try, if finishing a marathon really matters to you, i would change to the flat course That will make a major difference. But whether that's worth travelling 4 extra hours each way is up to you. A simple cost (of your time) to value (in increasing the likelhood of finishing) decision

As far as taking the time off, some people are better at that than others. I've never been able to take more than a couple of days off, but that's just me. Instead, i modulate a run based on my condition. I'd cut a run a little short or not go as hard, using more cushioned shoes, run softer surfaces, etc

As far as doing the marathon or cancelling, I'd keep that option open. I've started marathon with injuries with the promise that i'd stop if it got to be an issue. Luckily it didn't and i finished.

Ultimately, your success has a lot to do with how you approach things and how well conditioned you are otherwise. Running through an injury could easily prolong it. Knowing when to back off, when to stop, when to risk running through it is a learned skill. That said, if you proceed onward, i would do so with caution.

an amazing likeness

Somewhere around here is a discussion thread with a title close to "Knee pain, does it ever get better" -- lots of good advice in it on how various approaches taken to deal with ITB pain and recovery.  Full stop of any run at the first twinge of pain until the inflammation resolves was the strong leader.

I'm not a doctor (well, not a real doctor) but I'd say that's your problem right there. My guess is that you could fix this in a couple of weeks if you get strict but you need to do four things. 1. Immediately reduce the inflammation and then 2. Keep from irritating it again whilst you: 3. Build up strength/flexibility to prevent recurrence and 4. Eliminate any possible causative factors 1. Reduce immediate inflammation with ice/Ibuprofen and maybe rest for a day if it is bad. 2. Keep from irritating it for at least a week or so by: Keeping your runs short. After a day or two you can try doing a couple of runs with some rest, ice and stretch between. Avoid any speedwork. Avoid any downhills. Avoid corners - seriously, be VERY careful going around corners, slow to a practical stop if you have to make a right angle turn. Avoid roads with steep cambers. Avoid running tracks. You get the picture.... Also, make your short runs in the form of a circle around your house. That way if you feel the SLIGHTEST pain you can stop and slowly walk home. Never run on it when it is painful. If you stop the instant you feel irritation you can be back out tomorrow, possibly even later the same day. If you inflame it you'll be sidelined for another day Use ice and Ibuprofen after your run to reduce swelling even if you didn't get any pain. Don't use Ibuprofen before the run since it may mask the pain and lead to injury. 3. Build strength/flexibility with the various recommended stretches and exercises. Find ones that seem to work for you and do them ALL THE TIME. I like the stretch I mentioned earlier because you can do it anywhere without looking too daft. All you need is a chair, table, car, fence post, shelf, large dog or anything to steady yourself against. Every time you have a spare 30 seconds you should so this stretch. You can do it whilst you read at a table if you want. If you work at a desk, even if only part of the day, then do it whenever you get up to, or return to your desk. It will not hurt to look into combining the stretching with some strengthening exercises too. 4. If there is any suspicion that your shoes may be to blame then switch back to an old pair. Otherwise try to think what might be leading to the irritation. For me I suspect that too much downhill running is often the trigger. Even after you get your mileage back you may want to avoid possible triggers for a while - or at least approach them with extreme caution. If you are strict with yourself and don't try to do too much too soon you can get your mileage back up pretty quickly. Say that you can't get beyond 3 miles without pain kicking in then try something like: 0, 2, 3, 2+2, 3, 4, 3+3 which would give you practically a week of stretching before you tried exceeding 3. Then in one more week you could build up to 7 or 8 miles. Good luck. John

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I had it last year before my November marathon, took a week off and followed every stretch and strength training exercise I could find on the internet for itbs from the time I found out for sure what it was all the way up until my marathon. Ran my marathon with no problems at all. It’s different for everyone that has to deal with it though, it takes some people a year or more to get over.

yodarun

ckelly22: how far out from the marathon race did you get the problem and did it force you to walk during a run from the pain?  And you resumed normal mileage in your training program after that week off or did you slowly ramp up?

One of the big questions for me is whether or not to run at all in the remaining two weeks before the race?  Is it better to rest it from running or do small runs (as long as there is no pain) to test it and possibly stimulate healing versus the healing from no running at all and relying on cross training/strengthening exericses.

I did elliptical for 1 hr 15 minutes today and left knee got slightly tight but no pain, and I immediately stopped.  Right knee felt fine.

ckelly22: how far out from the marathon race did you get the problem and did it force you to walk during a run from the pain?  And you resumed normal mileage in your training program after that week off or did you slowly ramp up?

One of the big questions for me is whether or not to run at all in the remaining two weeks before the race?  Is it better to rest it from running or do small runs (as long as there is no pain) to test it and possibly stimulate healing versus the healing from no running at all and relying on cross training/strengthening exericses.

I did elliptical for 1 hr 15 minutes today and left knee got slightly tight but no pain, and I immediately stopped.  Right knee felt fine.

I was 5 weeks out when it happened and I was 14 miles into a 19 mile run when I felt it, finished that run out then took a week off. I was doing a Higdon novice plan which is a 4 day a week plan, after the week off I went back to following the plan and didn’t do any walking. I also tried to run on a treadmill as much as possible so I didn’t have to deal with any uneven roads and elevation changes. I would feel it a little bit on my longer runs but I really think the stretching and strength training everyday were key to my recovery and catching it early. The marathon I ran had constant elevation changes and it didn’t bother me at all. I’m four weeks into a half marathon training plan right now with lots of hill repeats, intervals and tempo runs and so far I haven’t had any repeat flair ups.

SMART Approach

Yoda, take some time off running but cross train a bunch with bike, stepper assuming those things don't bother you. The week of marathon I would get out and run a couple times, even 3-4 miles just to make sure area is holding up and muscle memory - run on treadmill ideally.  Before each run and the race hop in whirlpool or hot bath to get that area warm and loose. Also walk for 10 min before run. This is important. During the marathon I think it will be wise to do a 1 minute walk break every 10 minutes. You may not like it but this may be the key to get through this. It won't slow you as much as think. Good luck.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com