Does Basketball help running? (Read 1610 times)

krypto

Hey I run cross country and I also play basketball a lot with my friends. I'm a freshman trying to get in the 19's in the 5k. Would doing cross-training such as basketball help along with running?

thanks

stephen

I always noticed that the fastest runners on my XC team also had the highest vertical jump, regardless of weight.  The top guys were 5'7 and 5'9 and both could touch the rim.  I was the same weight, but at 6'1" couldn't get close ... and my 5k times were ~3 minutes slower (high 17s to low 18s vs. high 14s to low 15s - both went to nationals).  I guess this makes some sense - if you have stronger legs you have the potential to travel further with each stride.

I have no scientific proof either way though.  Just make sure not to overtrain - if you're running 5-6 days per week you probably shouldn't be playing full court hoops for another 5 hours. 

I read somewhere that cross training with exercises that involve side-to-side sudden movements is not really a great idea. Maybe that was for marathon training exclusively but I just know I saw something about avoiding strange directions of motion that aren't really used for running.
        L Train

I think we runners put some serious stress on some of our joints and ligaments, which obviously makes us stronger in those areas we use.  But I think it can also make us weaker and susceptible to injury in other areas.  I know a very good runner whe had to have knee surgery because of a recent basketball injury, and the side to side motion was the reason.

That said, I suspect that someone who plays basketball regularly would already have those areas strengthened, and I doubt it would be a problem.  It's the guy that just goes and plays a few pickup games here and there that I'd worry about.

But I think most importantly, basketball will not help your running.  Running will help your running.   

A Saucy Wench

I think we runners put some serious stress on some of our joints and ligaments, which obviously makes us stronger in those areas we use.  But I think it can also make us weaker and susceptible to injury in other areas.  I know a very good runner whe had to have knee surgery because of a recent basketball injury, and the side to side motion was the reason.

That said, I suspect that someone who plays basketball regularly would already have those areas strengthened, and I doubt it would be a problem.  It's the guy that just goes and plays a few pickup games here and there that I'd worry about.

But I think most importantly, basketball will not help your running.  Running will help your running.   

+2  dh injured his knee about 10 years ago in a pickup game and hasnt been able to run more than 5-10 miles a week since

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

It will help your running a hell of a lot more than playing video games will.

Runners run

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

It will help your running a hell of a lot more than playing video games will.

+1

Could you get a catastrophic knee, ankle, ... injury playing basketball.  Sure, my Dad screwed up his knee in a church volleyball league and got his 4 front teeth knocked out in HS basketball.  Hasn't run a day since his knee surgery.

Me, my worst injuries were from running.  Huge growth spurt in 8th grade and when track season came around I pulled both hip flexors.  Pulled one, crutches for a week, could barely get off the toilet, came back a little over a month later, pulled the other one.

I didn't "just run" much in high school.  3 month track season and that's it.  I was an OK 400/800 runner.  Never ran a 5K but I'm sure I could have easily broken 20 (my mcmillan projected time was 15:15-16:15).  I had to get my endurance from someplace.  Oh yeah, I played basketball from 2nd grade on.  Biked everywhere I went as a kid.  Played football, basketball, and was in a strength and conditioning program in the summer in HS.

Finally, basketball will certainly help your running, just not as much as running will help your running.  Meh.

Menace to Sobriety

I think we runners put some serious stress on some of our joints and ligaments, which obviously makes us stronger in those areas we use.  But I think it can also make us weaker and susceptible to injury in other areas.  

Isn't that kind of the point of cross training? You could get hurt doing anything. Common sense is the key. I'm 51 and play basketball 2 or 3 times a week for about half the year. Full court, some pick up, some league games. I also run 30-40 miles a week. Yeah, I've tweaked an ankle now and again, but I've done the same thing stepping off a curb. What are you gonna do, stay in the house all day except when you go for your run? It would be different if I was Olympic bound and the trials were in two weeks, or in season for a college/HS runner, but like I said, common sense.

No, it probably won't make you faster, but it won't make slower, either.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Hey I run cross country and I also play basketball a lot with my friends. I'm a freshman trying to get in the 19's in the 5k. Would doing cross-training such as basketball help along with running?

thanks

stephen

If you take the conditioning seriously. Really, really work your tail off when doing suicides and the other drills basketball can be known for, then I think it will help with your 5K times. It certainly can't hurt. Suicides and jumping drills can be just as intense as running short intervals!

Treat basketball conditioning as intensive cross training, and combined with other running it seems getting in the 19s should be manageable... especially for a HS age person.

Good luck.

mikeymike

Or just treat basketball like basketball--a game played for fun and friendly competition amongst friends.

Runners run

L Train

Isn't that kind of the point of cross training? You could get hurt doing anything. Common sense is the key. I'm 51 and play basketball 2 or 3 times a week for about half the year. Full court, some pick up, some league games. I also run 30-40 miles a week. Yeah, I've tweaked an ankle now and again, but I've done the same thing stepping off a curb. What are you gonna do, stay in the house all day except when you go for your run? 

From the other portion of my post, I would imagine this is fine - heck it's good.  My point was that I think there's a difference between a guy playing every now and then for the hell of it and a guy that plays 2-3 times a week, and it also depends what his priorities are.  The OP has a specific 5k goal, and his question was whether basketball would help.  To Mikey's point, it depends on what activity he is exchanging for basketball.  If it's video games or otherwise sitting on his ass, yes.  If it's running, no. 

I don't get the debate.  He's playing pick-up basketball with his friends, he's not running suicides, or performing a 3-man weave, or running high-knees.  It sounds fun.

It won't help your running though.  Sorry.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

L Train

Lank, my front page is coming up giving me the weather for Oneida, KS.  Is there anything you can do to help me with this?  Thanks in advance.

Lank, my front page is coming up giving me the weather for Oneida, KS.  Is there anything you can do to help me with this?  Thanks in advance.

Absolutely and you've come to the right place for advice. 

I'd move to Oneida, KS.  It's lovely this time of year.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Sprints are more compatible with basketball then distance running. Either way basketball will help your running more than vice versa. From my experience distance running has a very negative affect on jumping ability. When I played b-ball for my high school team I could dunk a tennis ball at 5' 9" and 155 lbs. Even after getting terribly out shape after graduating and putting on 15 lbs I could still get a fingernail on the rim. When I took up running in my 30's I was logging more than 50 mpw within a few months and got my weight down to ~140. One day I decided to go over to the court and see how high I could jump with my new light body. Much to my surprise I couldn't get half way up the net.

My advice would be to do what you enjoy. Eventually you will gravitate towards the one that gives you the most satisfaction. When I was in school I loved playing basketball and the only time I liked running was when it involved one of the ball sports. Later on I came to enjoy running more than I had any other sport, but I still have an occasional dream where I can slam dunk

Go Lakers!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33