At what age did you win your first race?(overall male/female) (Read 445 times)

HermosaBoy

Age 43 for my first overall win...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I was about 7 years old.  Jeff O'Malley and I raced to the swings at recess.  I won.  In your face, Jeff O'Malley.  You got beat by a girl.

As an adult, I never expect to win a race.

Now, that's funny!

I won a 5K when I was 17 and snagged a 3rd place overall the same year at another one. While I never had a chance to win an entire race at high school cross-country meets, the normal 5K's open to the public were a lot less competitive. Generally there are a lot less highly trained male youths to race against. The race I won was on an armed forces base and ended up being the last one they held because of the world trade center attacks happening later in the year. Security got increased and there are no more races on the base.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

I was third in my age group once.  Does that count?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Tiefsa

First win - Distance sweep of the 1 mile and 2 mile at the freshman conference track meet.  My coach ran me varsity for pretty much the whole year and I got crushed every race, but he let the seniors run conference and me run with kids my age on that day.

First win on Varsity was the first outdoor track meet of the year my Senior year.  800 meters in just under 2:00.

First road race win was when I was 36 and ran a local race with about only 50 runners.

A lot of losses between all of that running.  One thing I wish I did was win a CC race, but I never did.

Feeling the growl again

I think I won my first race as a senior in HS.  Maybe.  I can't remember.  I didn't win any XC races in HS, when I set me PR I got nipped 3 feet short of the finish line.

Winning is over-rated.  It's a nice confidence booster, but in running, if you push yourself hard enough there will ALWAYS be someone better than you (unless you are winning Olympic-level medals).  During my best racing years, I rarely won races because I entered races that would challenge me with runners better than myself and pull me to better times.  I cared more about the competition with myself than the competition with others.

The best race I ever ran, I finished 3rd and I was on top of the world.  The fact that I did not win meant nothing to me.  i could easily have chosen an easier race with lesser competition, but I would have run slower.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

2nd Grade. 50 yd backward. First place ribbon.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Third grade on "fitness day." Sean Meyer and Matt Mackey were out sick. I edged out Walter Miller and Thomas Maher, ftw.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Dream Maker

24 and I have each year since at least once.  I've even beat all the men as a woman, or just first female.  I will provide cherry-picking races classes for the right price, because my victory each time has been a matter of who showed up, not my speed. I have never been deserving of an overall win, though I cherish them anyways!  I've been running since age 13.

Enjoy running, and I am sure there will be plenty of comparison and races for you in high school!   Congrats on your victory!

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

One mile fun run, 1983.  Age 12.  5:59

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I think I won my first race as a senior in HS.  Maybe.  I can't remember.  I didn't win any XC races in HS, when I set me PR I got nipped 3 feet short of the finish line.

Winning is over-rated.  It's a nice confidence booster, but in running, if you push yourself hard enough there will ALWAYS be someone better than you (unless you are winning Olympic-level medals).  During my best racing years, I rarely won races because I entered races that would challenge me with runners better than myself and pull me to better times.  I cared more about the competition with myself than the competition with others.

The best race I ever ran, I finished 3rd and I was on top of the world.  The fact that I did not win meant nothing to me.  i could easily have chosen an easier race with lesser competition, but I would have run slower.

^^^ this ^^^

There are few sports like running... Funny, I won a rinky dink 3K over on Sunday morning, but it was no big deal.  Mostly because I was 20s slower this year than last. I was more pleased with last year when I finished 3rd.

JimR

I was 36 years old, and the only reason I won was because I had entered a very small race with not many participants.  Like was mentioned before, winning an event is just a matter of who else enters the race.  My time in the race was not fast.  In another setting with different competitors I may have come in dead last!

i am glad you discovered running and the joys of competition.  I hope that enthusiasm stays with you your whole life.

Similar, I was 48 and it was part of a small series held in my local park, not many people knew about it.  It was my one and only O/A win.  The very next race of the series, I was handily beaten by a 10 year old.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Age 38

Granted the fields were not big in either of the two races I won that year (199 and 113), it really matters as to who shows up on any given day. There's always someone faster, but it doesn't mean they're at the same venue as you. Big grin

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

To those of you who are sounding apologetic for not facing stiffer competition, you were there, others were not, so you won, period.

If I were looking for an OA win, I would avoid races with names like Keflezighi, Mutai, Hall, Makau, etc.

joescott

15 or 16.  A JV mile, seared into my memory forever because it was sort of a breakthrough for me.  When the gun went off right there at my thigh for the 4th lap I bolted like I had been shot out of a cannon and I could almost immediately feel my opponents give up.  Shortly afterward they moved me up to varsity, and I didn't win many races after that!

spaniel is right that winning is overrated in the sense that if that's the reason you run then you will have a disappointing running career unless you are very very special indeed.  OTOH, it sure is nice to cross the string once in a while.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.