Running with the sub-3s: Boston Bound (Read 381 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

For those new to this series, it is my third installment recording my experience running with the Sub-3 training group.  I went from a 3:32 (2012 Spring) first marathon to 3:08 (2012 Fall)  then 3:04 (2013 Fall).  For Spring 2014 I plan to run Boston, trying to break the sub-3 barrier and finally go from a JV to Varsity member of the group.

This thread is a way to keep me focused and for readers to call me out for doing it wrong.

BM-19: I'm injury free.  Before training starts in earnest, I'm toying with 5Ks.  Ran one last weekend; have one this weekend.  I'm not tapering for these.  I certainly haven't trained for this distance.  But a marathon training program is so locked-down that it's nice just to be a bit playful and do something on a whim.

The whims have ruled the track workouts so far.  Without Coach's disciplined approach we've been doing silly stuff at the track: 1-2-1, 6x400.  Running faster than we should for the pure joy of it.  He's reigned us in and has us back on hills and tempo runs.

My approach to training this season is to see if I can keep up with the Sub3s.  The group has splintered a bit: where the faster guys run at 5:30-5:40 for 5K pace.  And the slower guys run about 5:55-6:05.  I'm going to run with the faster guys for half of my intervals and then fall back to the slower guys.  On long runs I'm going to try to keep up with their 7:20 AHR pace for the distance and with the slower guys at 6:45 for MP.  The big concern is over-training as this is a 15sec jump over my last MP.

The other issue is the sub3s are out of sync with me.  They're training for Tobacco Road in March.  I'm running the half there (progression run, most likely) and racing at Boston.  Most of them have a Boston bib, but are racing TR on the flat course, looking for a PR.  I decided I'd rather have a slower time but break 3hrs at Boston, than jog my first Boston.

Right now I predict a 2:58 at Boston if I get cool weather.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

BM-19: 26F this morning.  2x2mi @ MP (8 total) was the plan.  After the 2mi warmup, Tom, Deric and Rick took off at 6:20 pace.  At first I wasn't sure if they were just speeding up to AHR after the warmup.  Tom and Deric started pulling away, so I went with them.  Well, I went because Deric went, and I want to beat Deric.  Tom is way out of my league (2:35 marathoner or something).  Deric had to bail after the first mile.  I kept with Tom and refused to look at my watch (it's such a Negative-Nancy sometimes).  On the way back I lost Tom completely and chased Rick's 6:40 pace.  Finally passed him with a mile to go.

These were supposed to be MP, but I'll admit, this was more of a AT run for me.  Felt good, but not something I could keep for more than 10miles in a race.  Heck of a lot of fun, though.

xhristopher

I'm also in for Boston with a 3:04 qualifier so the odds that I'll get to chase you running like a non-flying bird, wearing headphones, masking tape, and cracking bad jokes is pretty good. I plan to start my Boston training in February. I'm unlike you. I'll be happy to get that first sub-3 anywhere I can find it, not that I won't be trying at Boston too.

bhearn

Most of them have a Boston bib, but are racing TR on the flat course, looking for a PR.  I decided I'd rather have a slower time but break 3hrs at Boston, than jog my first Boston.

If you run Boston right it is a fast course. Three of my four fastest times are there. Depending on conditions it may or may not be faster than a flat course (it was in 2011). But it is definitely not a slow course.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

If you run Boston right it is a fast course. Three of my four fastest times are there. Depending on conditions it may or may not be faster than a flat course (it was in 2011). But it is definitely not a slow course.

The concern more is that it's a tricky course to run.  Easy to make mistakes -- going out to fast and crushing your quads before Newton.  I'm still a novice at this so I consider the challenge of the course a technical risk in my sub-3 bid.

Looking forward to racing with you, X!

mikeymike

What is AHR?

Runners run

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

What is AHR?

Aerobic Heart Rate.

I'll admit I have some confusion about the term.  But I believe it means that area between "Conversational" and "MP".  For guys who have a MP of about 6:45 it's about 7:15-7:25 pace.

Enjoyed reading your other thread. Look forward to your updates this cycle.

Get off my porch

xhristopher

Aerobic Heart Rate.

I'll admit I have some confusion about the term.  But I believe it means that area between "Conversational" and "MP".  For guys who have a MP of about 6:45 it's about 7:15-7:25 pace.

But what if you can converse at MP? Would that screw up your training? I'm so confused now.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

But what if you can converse at MP? Would that screw up your training? I'm so confused now.

The pace is kinda conversational.  We talk about stuff, a race, tell a joke, etc.  But it's just not a pace you could explain orbital mechanics, or hold a philosophical think with Jeff.  Basically, you say a hand full of sentences and then recovery your oxygen debt during the response.  But it's not "gasping" conversational pace.

I think some people list it in their logs as "moderate".  It's the same pace the anti-"LSD" people run for their long runs.

xhristopher

The pace is kinda conversational.  We talk about stuff, a race, tell a joke, etc.  But it's just not a pace you could explain orbital mechanics, or hold a philosophical think with Jeff.  Basically, you say a hand full of sentences and then recovery your oxygen debt during the response.  But it's not "gasping" conversational pace.

I think some people list it in their logs as "moderate".  It's the same pace the anti-"LSD" people run for their long runs.

Hey, I was just joking. You could get 26.2 miles of this bad humor off your shoulder if we're in the same corral, you know! (another joke)

You may not want to hang with me tho. I've not figured out the Boston course yet. I expect I'll show up next spring having run or raced over 200 miles on it but my race always goes to shit after Boston College.

On a serious note, it should be interesting comparing notes over the winter since we're going in with about the same qualifier and the same goal.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hey, I was just joking. You could get 26.2 miles of this bad humor off your shoulder if we're in the same corral, you know! (another joke)

Wait, you don't think every black guy in front of us is actually, Obama, right?

I should probably be classified as "doesn't race well with others".  I'd get perturbed if I'm not racing according to plan.  Still, seeing you in the corral and comparing notes is right up my alley.  I really enjoy doing a big race like this and seeing a running I know on the course . . . preferably if I pass them. Wink

mikeymike

The other thing about running with x is he's a freakishly good hill runner. So on even the slightest climb he'll drop you like a rock.

Runners run

xhristopher

It's all relative, especially when I know runners who pretty much drop everyone like a bad habit on the hills.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wait, you don't think every black guy in front of us is actually, Obama, right?

The joke is even more hilarious if you point to a white woman ahead.  Try it.