Garmin external tracking? (Read 664 times)

Skooter 3.0

I got a Garmin 305 for Xmas...is there a way to figure out it's GPS number and track it from a computer or something? My wife is interested in checking in on where I am on my longer runs because she gets nervous when it's over 2 hours...I haven't been able to figure anything out, and assume not, but I was just curious if anyone on here knows anything about this...

Goals?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. This is not possible. The device on your wrist tracks the satellites and transmits nothing. The satellites do not track your device.

Skooter 3.0

Thanks Trent...that's what I thought, receiver, not transmitter. Just wanted to double check.

Goals?

MrH

No, the Garmin GPS unit does not transmit its location. The cheapest way would be for her to call your cell phone. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

No, the Garmin GPS unit does not transmit its location. The cheapest way would be for her to call your cell phone. Smile
            A little more geeky, but less interruptive to you: Most newer phones have GPS transmitters in them now for 911 use. Sprint has a service that allows the account owner to see where a phone on the account is at any time, as long as the phone is turned on. No call has to be placed, but the service costs $5 or so a month. Other providers may have something similar. If you carry your phone when you go on a long run, this may work for you.

Former runner

Just saw an article about this device for tracking kids. http://www.lok8u.com/ They're demoing it at the CES show in Las Vegas this week. They are based out of the UK but list an international version on their site. Based on current conversion rates, the monthly fee is around $15 - $30 per month.

Ross

Lazy idiot

When I head out for "longer" runs, I tell my wife the approximate route I'll be taking. That way, if she starts to worry she can go out and find me. I think she just wants to know when the mailman has to leave. Wink

Tick tock