Perfect Albums (Read 326 times)

Pretty Hate Machine

I really really want to add just one of the works by REM...but at least 1 song off each of their albums doesn't work for me...it's frustrating, really.

Hip Redux

+1000000

Back in my long-ago single days when I used to take a lot of solo road trips, that was a must-have in the ol' cassette deck. I remember one trip I forgot to bring it, so I just sang the entire album to myself, word for word, all the way through.

I will add something a bit more recent: Green Day - American Idiot

I knew I liked you for a reason Smile

If we're talking contemporary, I'd put Rage Against the Machine (debut album) on the list and Green Day's Dookie (and maybe even Kerplunk!) ahead of AI.  

If we're talking contemporary, I'd put Rage Against the Machine (debut album) on the list and Green Day's Dookie (and maybe even Kerplunk!) ahead of AI.  

I was thinking Kerplunk too...but they added some songs at the end that even they didn't know what to do with. "Eh, let's just throw 'em on the end!"

Hip Redux

I was thinking Kerplunk too...but they added some songs at the end that even they didn't know what to do with. "Eh, let's just throw 'em on the end!"

Yeah, agreed - that one's a little rough around the edges, but still a solid album.

Yeah, agreed - that one's a little rough around the edges, but still a solid album.

It's still stronger than Dookie to me for sure (that's not a sentence I'd ever thought I'd say)...I just wish tracks 13-16 weren't on it.

You must be thinking of the bonus tracks, which include a lot of garbage. But even the original 12 tracks, clearly Dominated Love Slave is not a great song. Funny, yeah. But, c'mon. The rest is awesome though. Better than Dookie for sure.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

You must be thinking of the bonus tracks, which include a lot of garbage. But even the original 12 tracks, clearly Dominated Love Slave is not a great song. Funny, yeah. But, c'mon. The rest is awesome though. Better than Dookie for sure.

Ah, they were bonus tracks, yes, see my comments above...it was 13-16 I thought were junk!  But yes, 100% agree with you on Dominated Love Slave.

Pearl Jam--Ten

Pharcyde--Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

I really really want to add just one of the works by REM...but at least 1 song off each of their albums doesn't work for me...it's frustrating, really.

It is tough, but if I've gotta pick one, it's going to be Murmur. I would have no qualms taking that one to a desert island.

What, it wasn't my running skillz?

Saw the Femmes live back in their heyday, amazing show. Then saw them again a few years later, not so amazing; they did not age too well.

On Green Day, I will not quibble too much on AI vs. Dookie. I am not too familiar with their most recent works, but fortunately the mantle has been passed to my 13yo DD, who is a huge GD fan. And when she asked to borrow a Ramones CD to load into her iTunes, I knew I had raised her right.

Dave

Unforgettable Fire -- U2

Grace -- Jeff Buckley

Kid A -- Radiohead

When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold -- Atmosphere

Quadrophenia -- The Who

My Aim is True -- Elvis Costello

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars -- David Bowie

Sea Change -- Beck

+1 on all this list.

Grace is a masterpiece, it really is. Sea Change is hands down my favorite Beck album, although you've got to give a nod to Odelay. Unforgettable Fire is my favorite pre 90's U2 album (I actually really dig Pop from '97, bit of lightning rod that one). And the rest of your list are certainly classics in their own rights. (I haven't head the Atmosphere album, but based on the remainder of your list, I will check that out).

And Knifey tossed out Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, that's in my top 5 for sure.

MTA: Steely Dan - Aja and/or Gaucho (I attribute my fondness for these albums to my father, I gather there's not too many folks my age listening to them).

Zaphod

President of the Galaxy

"Brothers in Arms" - Dire Straits

"Appetite for Destruction" - Guns-n-Roses

"...And Justice for All" - Metallica

"Glass Houses" - Billy Joel

"Bat Out of Hell" - Meat Loaf

"London Calling" - The Clash

"Volume 1" - Traveling Wilburys

It goes without saying, this is entirely subjective, but there have been a lot of good ones posted already, I'm reposting a couple in my list. But these are front to back players as far as I'm concerned.

Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
                          Steely Dan - Aja
                          The Pixies - Doolittle
                          Nick Drake - Pink Moon
                          Beck - Sea Change, Odelay
                          Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
                          Radiohead - OK Computer, Kid A, In Rainbows
                          Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
                          Marvin Gaye - I Want You
                          John Coltrane - Lush Life
                          Jeff Buckley - Grace
                          Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
                          Fugazi - The Argument
                          Beatles - Revolver, Sgt. Peppers
                          Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
                          Nas - Illmatic

I think it's easy to despair over modern music having "forgotten about the art of the complete album," but I don't think it holds up. There are a lot of really complete front to back albums coming out now, it's just that the world of music is becoming increasingly more niche. So albums don't garner the mass acceptance they did back in the heyday of hit-maker radio (Justin Timberlake notwithstanding, which by the way 20/20 Experience is a great album in it's own right).

I could list plenty of new albums that are "complete," and you can even get them on vinyl, full blown art and everything, but the above list I think have stood at least some test of time already.

Loving this threads contributions so far.

BeeRunB

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys is awesome. Both in mono and stereo. I actually have CD with both versions on it.

Lovely Rita is the only one I don't like on Sgt. Pepper. So not perfect for me. Should have been Strawberry Fields on there instead! But then again that would have made Magical Mystery Tour even less perfect than it is.

an amazing likeness

Oh yes, absolutely.

"London Calling" - The Clash

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hip Redux

"Appetite for Destruction" - Guns-n-Roses

"...And Justice for All" - Metallica

"Bat Out of Hell" - Meat Loaf

YES!  Man, I love that Meatloaf album more than I really should admit. lol

I was in the car listening to Siruis Lithium channel and Pearl Jam came on and I realized that Ten should be added.   I agree with Metallica - but really hard to choose between Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and Justice.

Also - RHCP - Mother's Milk