Perfect Albums (Read 326 times)

Revenge of the Nerd

Uriah Heep The Magician's Birthday

Moody Blues  In Search of the Lost Chord

Wow!  A Heep fan.  Tough call but I'd go with Demons and Wizards.

... Lost Chord is a great choice.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

ZZCaptainObvious

For me, it's The Protomen's first album. Partly because I randomly found it and party because it really grooves with me. Fast, aggressive, tells a story. It's a good rock opera.

It's also loosely based on Mega Man, so there's that too.

Revenge of the Nerd

The combination of Trower's guitar and James Dewar's vocals give this album an earthy, rumbling quality - like a volcanic eruption, with periods of great upheaval followed by the slow oozing of molten lava.  It is at once bluesy, psychedelic and hypnotic ... and never far from reach.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Not dead. Yet.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Perfect!  Truly divine from start to finish!

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

beat

Break on through

Perfect!  Truly divine from start to finish!

All the songs fit together, and they stand up well on their own as well!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Prince of Fatness

Pink Floyd - Animals

Yes - Close To The Edge

I was just going to mention these two.  Good thing that I went back a page.  A couple more...

Genesis - Nursery Cryme

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Tom Petty - Wildflowers

Damn the Torpedoes

Not at it at all. 

most any album by the Beatles but my personal fav- revolver

either of first 2 albums by Traffic-check out 40000 headman if you don't know this song (2nd album "Traffic")

Night Moves-Bob Seeger    not sure lf he ever made a bad song

Tommy- by the Who of course

these would be the top of my list as I am writing this,  may change at any random time (except Revolver)

Cool Jump Suit

Led Zeppelin  - IV

As a kid I looked forever for Kashmir on side one of Led Zeppelin IV thanks to Mark Ratner.  Damone was kind of an ass anyway.

So bittersweet,
                    This tragedy
                    Won't ask for absolution;
                    This melody,
                    Inside of me,
                    Still searches for solution.
                    A twist of faith,
                    A change of heart
                    Cures my infatuation.
                    A broken heart, 
                    Provides the spark
                    For my determination.

BeeRunB

Someone mentioned Neil Young's After The Goldrush,    perfection.

I also think Harvest and Harvest Moon by are in the same pantheon.

I saw Neil play back in '91 or so with Booker T and the MG's as his back up band. Blind Melon and Soundgarden opened the show. They were fine, but when Neil took the stage, he showed them how a rock performance was done. Amazing show. He has some of the most grandiose endings to songs I've ever heard—whole other art form almost.

I just listened to the The Beatles (a.k.a The White Album) on a recent road trip. It's the greatest example of a perfect imperfect album (could be another thread). A lot of the songs written while they were tripping out in India with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The record is all over the map. Reflects minds becoming more unstructured, as well as a band. Putting that sound collage, "Revolution #9", on what was side 4 (yes, young ones, albums use to have "sides", and we did to them a thing we called "flipping them over") took major artistic balls—I'm sure some would call it an "over-reach", but great artists do that on occasion). I was only 6 years old when that record came out, so wasn't so aware. I wonder what fans thought of this particular piece being on the record back in '68. The only drawback of Revolution #9 would be that some people would probably stop the record at that point and miss that lovely last song, "Good Night",  with Ringo singing. RIngo was always this breath of fresh air when his song came along (I still get chills when he comes in singing "What would you do if I sang out of tune..." on Sgt. Pepper's). The album is well-recorded, but it has a loose feel to it.

The White Album had to have as much impact on the bands that followed as Sgt. Pepper's did. No bigger blurt of eclectic songwriting and, perhaps, over-reaching, by a band that I've heard.

yes! definitely! well put!   white album for sure s/b close to top of "perfect, imperfect" list/  based on its variety & collectilon of songs.   songs like Helter Skelter (one of my all time fav Beatle songs)  & "good night"  on the same album?  wow,   what a range.  only the Beatles could pull this off!

Chantilly75

Wow!  A Heep fan.  Tough call but I'd go with Demons and Wizards.

I have to have both albums,  but  I find that  All my Life is sort of annoying and seems out of place.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

As a kid I looked forever for Kashmir on side one of Led Zeppelin IV thanks to Mark Ratner.  Damone was kind of an ass anyway.

Hahaha.

You people have issues 

OOoh, and how about Violent Femmes (the first).

Oski - coincidentally this just got a mention in today's Wall Street Journal.

Did not realize this is the 30th anniversary of its release. Oy.

Dave

Hip Redux

Oski - coincidentally this just got a mention in today's Wall Street Journal.

Did not realize this is the 30th anniversary of its release. Oy.

Annnnnnnd I feel old. lol