Bandit Pacing Views? (Read 1360 times)

Feeling the growl again

Where is the course not congested, mid pack at least?

This thought did occur to me too.

FWIW I have been impeded by bandits at Boston.  I have probably been around other bandits I did not know were bandits because they stayed aware and did not impede anybody.  But the urge to throat punch a bandit was much greater when they offended than if it had been another bibbed runner.

While not as much of an issue mid-pack in Boston, I have to say that pacers in races where there are not supposed to be pacers do irritate me as another participant.  I was recently in a smaller half marathon where someone jumped in around mile 10ish to pace their friend, who had just passed me.  Up until that point, it had been a miserable race almost from the get-go and I was just trying to finish.  Once this guy had help and sped up though, I got really irritated and it was on.  I probably finished 20-30sec faster just to make sure I beat the guy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

most of the responses here will stop just short of suggesting that bandits eat newborn babies as snacks.

It's OK as long as they're not taking them from the aid stations, isn't it?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

Why other marathons ok but not Boston? Just curious.

Well, I guess not pacing ("a few miles" isnt usually pacing, it is companionship)so much but I have no problem with a friend who needs moral support for say their FIRST marathon and has someone pop in around mile 20.

And I even dont have a real problem if someone is being paced to a BQ - although I think if you want someone to pace you - pay for their entry fee.

But if you've been running enough to qualify for Boston, then you should be big enough to run it by yourself and pace with the other runners

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

#artbydmcbride

Due to the corraling system at Boston, won't your friend be surrounded by runners going his/her pace most of the race?  Does he/she really need you to do this?   Confused

Runners run

DoppleBock

I am a regular bandit

I bandit the kids holloween, Easter, Christmas candy ...  If there were cookies in the cookie jar I would bandit that too ... I give them 2 weeks and then it's fair game.  When they are not looking I sneak in and take what I want ... try to not get caught before I sneak back out.

Of course I bought the candy in the 1st place ... so am I stealing from myself?

I never have bandited a race - But since I steal candy from my childeren and you steal a race from some charity or corporation - I suppose I would be hypocritial to poo-poo you.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I've run three kids' races with my little boy, helping him to not blast off from the line and crap out in 200m.  It has never occurred to me until now how infuriated the other parents must have been, watching me pace him to a higher finishing place than he otherwise would have achieved.  And ahead of their kids, too!

Doesn't Boston have pace groups?  Or at least, scads of runners with pace tats, beeping Garmins, and whatnot?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

I am a regular bandit

I bandit the kids holloween, Easter, Christmas candy ...  If there were cookies in the cookie jar I would bandit that too ... I give them 2 weeks and then it's fair game.  When they are not looking I sneak in and take what I want ... try to not get caught before I sneak back out.

I do this too and find it both ethical and moral because reducing the amount of candy kids eat is the right thing to do, especially if I bought it in the first place.

Due to the corraling system at Boston, won't your friend be surrounded by runners going his/her pace most of the race?  Does he/she really need you to do this?   Confused

exactly what I was thinking.   have never or ever will run Boston but aren't there official pacing groups like most races?

xor

Is there a question in that original post somewhere or are you just sharing an inner dialogue?

Yes.

Either do it, or don't.

xor

But if you've been running enough to qualify for Boston, then you should be big enough to run it by yourself and pace with the other runners

I agree with that.

It is also possible that person got into Boston via one of the other types of entries and it is a first race.

Either do it, or don't.

Some people will care a great deal, some people won't care at all... many people will be somewhere in the middle on it.  If that better informs your inner dialog, okey doke, but if you are expecting a singular answer, nah.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I agree with Trent.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

I disagree with Trent.

A Saucy Wench

I disagree with Trent.

In general?  Or just when it comes to emoticon selection?

For the record I think everyone should bandit the Portland marathon. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

The song he is whistling personally offends me.

#artbydmcbride

The Frito bandido song?

Runners run