Bandit Pacing Views? (Read 1360 times)

xor

What about banditing at Bay to Breakers?

Clothed?

Kalsarikännit

Of course not.  Where would the naked people pin their bibs?  They could get one of those weird bib belts, but that will hide the old men's old bouncing junk.

Banditing Boston is a time honored tradition.  I always thought the bandits lined up in the back, and they are bandits, not pacers.  I'm no expert, though.  

I did just read this and I thought it was interesting:

Hoyt and his son Rick will be lining up for their 30th Boston Marathon this year. Rick has cerebral palsy, and Dick pushes him a wheelchair. When the Hoyt sought entry in the 1981 Boston Marathon, they were denied because they hadn't posted a qualifying time. And the additional catch was that their qualifying time would be based on Rick's age rather than his dad's -- a gap of nearly 22 years. At the time that meant qualifying in 2 hours, 50 minutes.

"We lined up as a bandit in those days," Dick said.

While stealth entry is increasingly frowned upon in today's running culture, Boston organizers typically looked the other way and allowed runners without numbers to start in the back of the pack and run the marathon if they wanted. Dick's running career had only started four years earlier at the age of 37, but he pushed Rick a very respectable 3:18 time in 1981, followed by a 2:59 and 2:58 the following years. Still not good enough and no waiver was granted by BAA.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Hoyt and his son Rick will be lining up for their 30th Boston Marathon this year. Rick has cerebral palsy, and Dick pushes him a wheelchair. 

but [Hoyt] pushed Rick a very respectable 3:18 time in 1981, followed by a 2:59 and 2:58 the following years.

Wow!  amazing story as it is, but a 2:58 for them is quite impressive.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Kalsarikännit

Wow!  amazing story as it is, but a 2:58 for them is quite impressive.

Yeah.  The article said they have run a 2:40.

xor

I'm more amazed when they tack on an 85 degree "slow" marathon to the end of a leisurely bike ride and a brief swim.

I'm more amazed when they tack on an 85 degree "slow" marathon to the end of a leisurely bike ride and a brief swim.

Yes, they are the most amazing sporting story that I'm aware of. 

In all seriousness, it puts a smile to my face everytime I hear about them.

MTA: From TeamHoyt website: http://www.teamhoyt.com/

The Beginning of Team Hoyt
              In the spring of 1977, Rick told his father that he wanted to participate in a 5-mile benefit run for a Lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident. Far from being a long-distance runner, Dick agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair and they finished all 5 miles, coming in next to last. That night, Rick told his father, "Dad, when I'm running, it feels like I'm not handicapped."

Best End Times

2:40:47     Marathon

1:21:12     Half Marathon

13:43:37   Ironman Triathlon

35:48        10K

17:40         5K

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

I passed Team Hoyt during my first Boston in 2001.  I had no idea who they were, or what the deal was.

All I knew was that here was this obviously disabled son, and a father who obviously had something special with him in running this race.

I was impressed.  And it was a good thing I was not a father yet, or it might have adversely affected my race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Does it really matter what you do at some silly-ass big-city marathon? It's not like you're talking about something important, like the Trials....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Does it really matter what you do at some silly-ass big-city marathon? It's not like you're talking about something important, like the Trials....

Well I guess pretty much no one here has done anything important then.  I'll let you break that to Dick Hoyt...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

I think you greatly underestimate the importance of a race that, under the right conditions, may see a world record broken in the "fastest joggler" and "fastest marathon while dressed as a superhero" categories.

DoppleBock

I always felt a big part of "importance" was determined by how much  what you do inspires someone else to greater things.  Great performances should be apprecited, enjoyed and celebrated - But how do they inspire?  A greatest painting (Or any art) may have technical greatness - But it is never considered great unless it has the ability to inspire.

Of course we are all after personal greatness of our own - But the above greatness is public greatness - The Hoyts have it. 

The thing about inspiration - It is very personal.  For one reason or another there are many RA's that are inspirational to me.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

If WG would attempt the women's fastest naked marathon - That would be inspirational

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Jeff F

Free Beer

I passed Team Hoyt during my first Boston in 2001.   

I passed them during my first Boston in 2010, and that was after seeing them speak at the Expo.  It was great to pat Dick on the back and give them encouragement.

xhristopher

Hoyt and his son Rick

FYI...

20th Annual Team Hoyt 5K race/walk is scheduled for Thursday May 24, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.

http://www.racemenu.com/teamhoyt5k

Kid's fun run is at 6:15 (No cost - no pre-registration)

Pizza and pasta after the race

Tee shirts to the first 250 registrations

Door Prizes guaranteed to the first 150 registration

Trophies 3 deep in each category

Thursday night, May 24, 2012

American Legion - 215 Waverly Oaks Road - Waltham, MA

Last year I had to forfeit my entry because I got hurt. Unless someone screws with my schedule, I'll be there running with my son. 

Kalsarikännit

That would be inspirational

That would be painful.  

I read during the nude races that are put on, women saran wrap their boobs down.  I haven't tried it, but I question the wicking ability of plastic wrap.