Knee pain with increased mileage (Read 464 times)

lilyriver

Hi all, I know this is a really common question or type of question, but I'm hoping the experts out there won't mind and that you all will be willing to share your advice! I've been running for almost 2 years now. I just started getting serious about it last summer (so about 8 months ago), keeping a training log and incorporating some longer distances and -- less often -- some basic speed work. I really love running and can't imagine stopping. Right now I'm training for my first half-marathon which takes place in three weeks (gulp!) and aside from a bit of a cold and a bunch of snow, things have been going well. But recently, really just as soon as my weekly mileage went over 30, I've started noticing some aching in both my knees. It's concentrated in the knee caps and seems to affect both right and left sides equally. I notice it more while I'm running (especially near the end of longer distances), but I can feel it when I'm just walking around, too. Arthritis, especially in the knees, runs in my family, so I'm wondering if that could be the problem, though I'm only 25. I don't want to do permanent damage to my knees, of course, but so far the pain is nothing I can't run through. Should I decrease my mileage? take extra rest days? try certain stretches or exercises? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

SMART Approach

It is probably a stress reaction to increased training. Did you increase miles gradually? Are you increasing miles and intensity at same time? Are you running your training run too fast? Based on your more recent 5K race, your general training runs should be between 9:00 - 9:30 pace. A long run at 9:00 pace or faster is a strong and hard work out. This is ok but it is a "work out". Are your shoes worn out? Are you incorporating some lower body strength training into your routine? If not, start this after the half to take pressure off the joint. Looking at your log, it doesn't appear to be a major increase in miles. If possible in short term and also long term, do some runs on gravel, trails with chips or grass. This will help with the pounding. I think you can get through this half marathon. Just be sure knees are warmed up before your runs - preferrably hot tub but heating pad would be ok. Active warm up with much knee flexion while walking 5 min. before running. If doing intensity/quality now, do this on softer surface and last week you can cut intensity way back. Ice after your runs for 20 minutes. If you want to race your best, probably not a great idea to cut miles heading into race as you are fairly low miles, but you also have to listen to your body. Don't push through pain. You can probably get through this. Recover after the half (don't stop running though) and incorporate strength work.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

lilyriver

Thank you, this is all great advice! I'm glad to hear you think I can get through the upcoming race. I did just get new shoes, thinking that might solve things, but it didn't seem to help much. It is true that I probably take my training runs too fast. I think I just get overly enthusiastic. But this is something that I can easily be more cautious about. And I also have been skimping on my warm ups, so I'll start being more disciplined there, too, and then later incorporate more strength work, as you say. It's a relief to know which specific parts of my training I should focus on.