Snowshoes (hey, Q, you should watch this thread...heh)? (Read 913 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For the last few Winters I have been intrigued by snowshoeing as a way to get out and get some aerobic cross-training in, but have never tried it. I've done a couple of trail runs in recent weeks and really enjoy it, but know that once the snow gets deep there will not be trail "running" so much as trail "post-holing" (right, Q? Evil grin). Anyhow, can anyone recommend a brand or style of snowshoe? I'm guessing I'd be looking for something lighter weight and maybe with a smaller profile for faster movement...? I don't want to spend a ton, at least not for a first pair.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

Screw the snowshoes, run nekkid!!!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You first! Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

LL Bean has a couple models that seem pretty popular with folks on the trails around here. link to one model.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

obsessor

I have redfeathers. They are OK. If I had to do it again I might have gone with the dions or atlas. The main thing is the bindings. Snowshoe running can be a good, but incredibly difficult strengthening aerobic workout.
            protoplasm72

I bought some MSR ones from REI a couple years ago. I got them on closeout for like 40% off in spring. They are nice and light and I've never had any issues with the bindings. Only problem I've had is that if you step half on a clump of ice and the other half on soft snow it twists your ankle. Maybe some bigger ones would help with that. To limit that I usually only run on fresh snow. After it partially melts and re-freezes I go back to the streets.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Consider cross country skis too.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Consider cross country skis too.
                  Yeah, I have decent skis from 20+ years ago, but after having the kidlet I need new boots and bindings (bindings are ancient 3-peg ones and are all rusted, feet are longer and wider than pre-kid). I would think snowshoes would be more useful on non-groomed areas, too...right?

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom ,I have way ,way back in the day taught snowshoeing ,ha! old days it was a challange to use the wood ,leather shoes .Anyways nowadays ,the shoes are super easy to use .When you buy them you will need to size them ,for your weight ,ie . the more you weight the larger you need to "float " on top of the snow .The good stores will have charts .next look at the bindings ,keep it strong ,secure and simple .Think if you can put them on with mittens on . Look at the "toe cord " this is where the ball of your foot rests .It may be a flat strip of webbing or it may be a full mechanical piviot .You want the full piviot ,like on the MSR brand .The entry level shoes from Tubbs ,Beans ,etc will likely be flat material .The piviot allows the shoe to droop behind you ,rather than flip (think big beach flip- flops ) .Last look at the crampons ,the alum. spikes that dig into crusty snow ,agian I like the Msr's for this feature ,but I like tough hilly trails .Honestly the price break is around $100/120and up to get the better features but deals are out there early and late in the season.If your sticking to fairly level parks and woodlands ,not such a big deal .Last ,let me nag you with what I have taught in my class's ,to my customers ,and My boy Scouts ,You can get deep into the woods with snowshoes and in the winter that means you can get into deep do-do ! always bring basic survival gear .Not to scare you because as you might guess I think it is one of the best ways to enjoy the outdoors there is .If I can help in any other 'shoeing questions let me know .
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can get deep into the woods with snowshoes and in the winter that means you can get into deep do-do ! always bring basic survival gear .Not to scare you because as you might guess I think it is one of the best ways to enjoy the outdoors there is .
                      Great advice! I would definitely make sure to always have my phone and Garmin with me--just in case. Though most likely I'd be doing trails within state parks or land bordered by populated areas...'cause I'm a klutz. Blush

~ Sarah Kay

In the LL Bean catalogue that just came there are some snowshoes that are clip-in- sort of like bike pedals. You have to get the shoes/boots that go with them, but the whole deal looks pretty neat. I would want to hear from someone who has used them, though. The biggest pain about snowshoes was always getting yourself into them with all the straps, buckles etc. (in case anyone wonders how someone (me) who relocated from Texas to Tennessee is a snowshoe expert, think Colorado vacations!!!!)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Another Passion

At least wear shoes, Q, for gosh sakes man! Zoomy, is that your Indian name under your pic? Heh Big grin

Rick
                          "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                          "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                          runningforcassy.blogspot.com

ud32

Do you need special boots to wear with snowshoes ?
                              No ,good question though. I (being old school) recomend boots that you could walk back out with if you had a snow shoe fail. That's why I'm not a fan of the shoes that use a cleat like a cross contry binding .I used to use pac boots with the old wood shoes(that was a good heavy work out !) ,but with the modern ones I have now my heavy hiking boots work good. Full leather ,goretex .They are stiff enough uppers that the bindings don't pinch my feet .Warm and dry enough if I have to get out of the snowshoes ,for any reason(rocky hilly trails for ex.). Of course you could use lighter boots ,like composit (leather ,rubber,fabric) hiking boots,I like these if the toe cap is stiff enough for comfort in the binding. Good wicking socks of course ,with whatever boot you pick.Bring extra socks ,I've seen people put a foot wrong crossing small streams with what looked like a frozen cover ,nasty cold !I have even used low cut hikers when conditions allowed but being the old Boy Scout that I am I packed gaiters ,just in case.
                              kcam

Why don't you rent a few different types to see how they workout? I love to snowshoe but rarely get the chance as it's a 4 hour drive to Tahoe for me. When we go up there to ski I always spend the morning snowshoeing and then the afternoon downhilling.