Training for my first Marathon - Advice Please (Read 2305 times)

Julia1971

Long run every 3 weeks 30/ 35K.  Last 32-35K 4 weeks before race day.Count backwards from race day. 3-- 30/35 miles in a 18 week program.Pete Pfitzinger suggests a 4 week taper.

+1.  My brain has a hard time figuring out Ks, but this seems about right.  I think you want to be doing 16-20 miler long runs pretty regularly.  Some may disagree about the length of taper, though.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Guys

I have thrown together a draft plan for my last 9 weeks heading into my first ever marathon Oct 30th which you should be able to access on my log.  Would appreciate any comments advice especially:

1. Have I gone overboard with amount of 30km+ runs?  I have run 6 so far but always 2 weeks apart

2. Taper.  The usual debate, how much and when.  I have my feelings on a HM taper but not sure re marathon in terms of balancin keeping fresh with keeping the stamina top notch.

Any advice gratefully received. Big grin

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Does  the percentages in your plan represent % of HR. If so you will probably have dead legs at the start line. Do you ever truly slow down?

3:40:00 marathon training paces from McMillan.

Endurance WorkoutsPace/MilePace/K
        Recovery Jogs 9:54 to 10:24 6:09 to 6:28
        Long Runs 8:54 to 9:54 5:32 to 6:09
        Easy Runs 8:54 to 9:24 5:32 to 5:51

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Sorry my percentages are just "real un scientific representations" of effort for my own purposes

Generally -

Recovery 70% is just a slow almost "plod" to roll the legs over

Easy 80% is a nice easy well formed run where I can easily hold a full conversation if running with a partner

Steady 90% is working a bit harder where broken converation only is possible

Race 100% is going hard out.  Basically dont do any runs like this at the mo

For my long runs

Long 80% is running at an easy pace as above - full convo possible the whole way

Long 90% I push is a bit more but don't surge - working a bit harder, broken convo only

I have been training at around 5:30 pace for most runs this year although i have noticed over the last couple of weeks for the same effort I seem to be running at a better clip which is encoraging.  I have done the odd run at my <> target marathon pace of around 5:00- 5:10 pace.  I have always felt at the end of these runs (even the long ones) that I could have easily gone further keeping that pace which is encouraging.  And I always seem to be able to run 12km on trail the day after my 30-36km runs with no real issues.

I do intend, and have planned to, drop my training pace back in September with the high milage demands. Today I ran too fast but it was a flat easy course (and part of the marathon course too). I still could have held a full convo most of the way...lets say it was 83% on my scale hehe.  I will however ensure i keep the pace down as it does get tempting to 'try out' the added fitness

I am comfortable with my training up till now.  I feel stronger, I have no niggles and only occasionally feel fatigued while running - usually on one of my weekday 10kms not a long run.  If I do get fatigued I roll out more slow runs, take a break, run trails. Seems to work.  I have a friend who is a big marathon/ironman fiend and he is always ensuring I am fresh

If anything I think my programme is a little harsh but I am totally prepared to alter and change as the body asks.  I am thinking perhaps some of the longer runs I could trim 5km off but just putting it out there for opinion as I am not experienced at all but I am dedicated and I do do what is needed

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
          Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)