Iliotibial Band Syndrome (Read 631 times)

sjeretin1

As I'm only weeks away from running my first marathon, I've started to feel a knee pain that after a great deal of research looks like mild case Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Has anyone had this? With only four weeks until the race, I'm nervous about how it might affect my training or potentially ruin my ability to run the race. Any help would be great.
      If possible, see a sports doc for official diagnosis. ITBS is not something you want to mess around with. My husband had it and it took 6 months to heal. Sounds like you might have caught yours earlier than he did. Good Luck.
        Don't forget to try to stretch it often. This worked well for me when I had ITBS going into my first marathon. The stretch where you lay on your side at the edge of a bed or couch and let your top leg dangle down works best for me when I have that tell-tale pain on the side of the knee. Good luck.

Giant Flaming Dork

As I'm only weeks away from running my first marathon, I've started to feel a knee pain that after a great deal of research looks like mild case Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Has anyone had this? With only four weeks until the race, I'm nervous about how it might affect my training or potentially ruin my ability to run the race. Any help would be great.
          Go to the Dr. I thought I had ITBS, but PT determined it was tendinitis. ITBS treatments would have been worthless.

http://xkcd.com/621/

I agree with Fishbowl, you should see a doctor for an official diagnosis. If you do have ITBS, you definitely want to be careful about it. I had it in both legs and kept running, and the pain would build up each time I ran until I was at a point where even walking hurt. I don't recommend that Tongue