Drinking water during races... ITS HARD (Read 1019 times)

ok, ive ran a few races and they all provide water. Which I am grateful for, but the only problem is in a couple poor attemps at even a sip i cough... I cant swallow while running. the races i have done are only 5k and 10k so hydration while running is not super nessessary especialy since its cool out. I do however plan to run HM and Marathons in the future. is there an art to drinking and eating while running. When i run i refuse to walk unless i absolutley have to becuase i am afraid of tightening up and not being able to run anymore. Anybody have advice/ the same problem i have?
    http://www.climbingamerica.blogspot.com

Maniac

1) Don't be afraid to walk...If you keep moving, you aren't going to tighten up in the few seconds it takes to sip some water. 2) Be sure to squeeze the cup together (so that instead of a big opening, it makes a little "spout"). That will help regulate how much water you are getting. 3) Do you drink on your training runs (i.e., out of a squirt bottle or anything)? Do you have trouble swallowing that? In other words, is it a swallowing problem or a drinking problem (and not the good kind of drinking problem)? Big grin

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

I learned that there is nothing wrong with walking. I walked the water stops at my last half marathon and I improved my time by 7 minutes. Dont be afraid to walk through the stops. Just don't get in anyones way. Wink

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jeffdonahue

I agree. If you dont want to walk (though I do recommend just walking the water stops in longer races) squish the cup. It keeps the water from splashing around as much. Also, though you may not walk, slow down your pace a little.
            btb1490

Besides the advice already given, I've known people who carry a small straw tucked away somewhere while they are running, and pull it out during the water stops. Whatever you do, make sure you practice, practice, practice ahead of time.
                Pinch your cup and turn your head like you're eating a taco (or hot dog), like everyone else has said. You won't miss a step at all. Close the back of your throat and suck the water into your mouth first, then swallow it. Better yet, just drink beer on the course...you will care less about your time so you'll be OK with stopping to walk and drink so you don't froth the beer up too much.
                  one thing I was thinking. If you are running a 5k there is a good chance you are gasping for air and trying to drink would cause you to choke on the water. I can't drink when I am breathing that hard. However when running 1/2 marathons I have been able to drink even if it is a sip... then breath for a bit... then sip... practicing drinking while on the run helped me quite a bit... at first I couldn't do it... then I started placing water bottles on my run and picking them up and drinking them slowly while running. Like folks said practice makes it easier.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you are running a 5k, you do not need water. If you are running a 5k at a pace that is slow enough that you might need water (i.e., 30+ minutes on a warm day) then prehydrate or slow down to drink ifn you cannot figure out how to pinch the cup.

The shirtless wonder

I use a straw. I cut a straw to a length of about 6 inches and tuck it under the arm band of my mp3 player. If I'm running without my mp3 player I just use the band to hold my straw. I've done this for a few races and I really like it. The hardest part is not accidentally throwing away your straw with your cup -- which I did this past weekend in Miami about half way through the half marathon. Greg
                        Train to gulp by drinking beer. Or carry a bike water bottle for shorter races. Just squirt when you need. And you won't have to slow up for water stops. Or use a Camelbak-type reservior. I ran a marathon with this one. Holds about 45 oz. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vNqPfoQaL._AA280_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Flashflo-Running-Hydration-Waistpack/dp/B000P8AN4K&h=280&w=280&sz=9&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=_EH0rg2Dcrx20M:&tbnh=114&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcamelbak%2Bflashflo%2Bamazon%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLJ,GGLJ:2006-34,GGLJ:en%26sa%3DN Didn't jostle and held my camera so I could take pix of wifey finishing.
                        JakeKnight

Why do you refuse to walk? What's the point? If you walk, you can drink. And I guarantee that walking 15 seconds every couple miles won't slow you down. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it'd speed you up. Maybe by more than you'd think. The only marathon I ever ran every step was my first. Because I was dumb. I run an hour faster now. And I always walk through the water stops. Although as Trent said above, there isn't a need for it in a 5k/10k anyway. If you're slow enough to need water in a 5-k, you really don't need to worry about sparing a couple seconds at the water stop.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

I stopped completely every time I drank in my first marathon because I couldn't drink from the little cups on the run (or while walking for that matter). It was a chance to collect myself, relax, and not get too carried away with the pace. There's no need to stop for water in races shorter than an hour in duration, in my opinion. In races longer than an hour, the 15 seconds or so that it costs you out of every 45 minutes are definitely worth it in the long term.
                            BaldMike

I ran my 3rd half marathon this weekend and tried the cup squeeze thing. The first and only water I drank, went right up my nose and I felt like I was drowning. I was like, OH CRAP! that did not work. The next 3 stops I wanted gatoraide, so I stopped, picked up my cup, walked 15-20 seconds while I drank the gatoraide down and got back into it. Water all over your clothes, face and neck, no big deal, sticky gatoraide, no way. Take the time to walk a little bit and hydrate, it will help you in all sorts of ways.
                              PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
                              JakeKnight

I stopped completely every time I drank in my first marathon because I couldn't drink from the little cups on the run (or while walking for that matter). It was a chance to collect myself, relax, and not get too carried away with the pace. There's no need to stop for water in races shorter than an hour in duration, in my opinion. In races longer than an hour, the 15 seconds or so that it costs you out of every 45 minutes are definitely worth it in the long term.
                                Oh - and since Jeff won't bring it up himself, I'll point it out - that "first marathon" of his (if its what I think it was), in which he apparently stopped completely whenever he took a drink ... ... was run on an impossible course, and completed in something like 2:50. He WON that marathon. Stopping at the water stops. Something to think about if you're actually stressing over walking a bit in your 5-k.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------