What do you use to keep track of your distance and time when you run? (Read 1123 times)

Baby bean!

I usually try to look at the signs when I cross streets and then when I map it, I forget how long I went for, so I start adding in my head and I question if I turned on 188th street or 186th street. So what is out there to do all that mental work for you?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Garmin 305 does all that work for me...all I have to do is look at my wrist. Bob
        Ditto on the Garmin 305.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto on the Garmin 305.
          Ditto. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Me too - the 305.
              Garmin 205 is the best $150 I've ever spent, dgb2n posted this in another thread, buy.com has it for $129.99 with free shipping. The 205 does not have the heart rate monitor that comes with the 305. but is otherwise the same. http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202233920

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A Saucy Wench

I had a Garmin 301, just ordered a 205 today.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I use a watch to time my run and map it when I get home to figure out distance. I don't have a Garmin. I run in an area I know well so it's not a big effort to remember where I turned. Have you tried mapping before you go to get an idea of what you want to do? If you can't afford tech gear like the others mentioned, that might work in the meantime.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jazz hands!

I second the mapping before you go (& the $10 watch from Target). I write directions on my hand. Low-tech, but it works.
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

The Garmin 305 - it's the best money I've ever spent on anything. Makes running fun. The next time someone asks me what I'm doing to lose so much weight, I think I'll answer, "Bought a 305!" Smile
                        Garmin 205 here. Won't run/race without it.
                          I use a watch to time my run and map it when I get home to figure out distance. I don't have a Garmin. I run in an area I know well so it's not a big effort to remember where I turned. Have you tried mapping before you go to get an idea of what you want to do? If you can't afford tech gear like the others mentioned, that might work in the meantime.
                          Ditto. I map my run beforehand and time it with my watch. My "disposable income" goes to Hanna Montana backpacks and Camp Rock lunchboxes. Angry MTA: Maybe the angry face was too much. anything to keep my girls happy Smile

Prince of Fatness

For training runs Garmin 205. I like the GPS because it allows me to explore different routes. I suppose I could map my runs out beforehand but the Garmin makes it easier. For races I use the Timex Ironman watch from Target. I don't need my head spinning because the mile markers on the course don't match up with the Garmin. I just hit the lap button at each mile marker and go with those splits.

Not at it at all. 

geekfarm@centurytel.net

I run on a paved trail here in town. They run several races on it during the year so the miles are painted on the trail in half mile increments up to 6.5 miles. I have used my bike odometer to check them and make mental notes past the 6.5 mile mark for longer runs.

Garmin 205 is the best $150 I've ever spent.
                                I don't know if my 305 is the best $150 I've ever spent, but it was certainly well worth the money. I have a pretty good sense of how long/how far I've gone, so I just guesstimate if I don't remember my watch or wear the garmin. If I'm not sure, then I'll map using the tools here.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)