Why are 5K so popular and prevalent ? (Read 1186 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Lore was never as good as Data,

I need the Cliff's Notes version of these -- where you get footnotes or something, telling you what the reference is too, for the bad students that have absolutely no idea.

Anyway, next weekend I'm running a 28.8.  That's the Tom Cruise of ultras.

Nice Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Data was the android dude on Star Trek TNG.  Lore was his "brother".  While Data was good, Lore was bad.

Data did nail Tasha Yar, though.  WOO WOO WOO.

redleaf

that was definitely a flashback - Didn't Data go "agog" in Datalore?

I raced my first 1/2 last weekend. I probably wouldn't have done it for a while except it was to be Toronto's First Women's Half. Never really been involved in the "first" of something so I thought I ought to be...at least once.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not the experienced racer that many folks here are, however for me, I like the 1/2 as a challenging distance to push a fast, even race pace, endurance over a distance -- I generally try to use a 10mile pace and try to hang onto it.  It is a hard distance to race, but not a killer. Long enough to be work, and worth the effort of a all the race logistics (sign-up, show-up). Whereas the full marathon is about surviving to the end (for me).  I like that the 1/2 fits into my standard training fairly well, and I can arrive ready to go with little change in training, whereas for the full marathon, I need to be able to work one of the plans for 12 weeks. 

What he said...

I was unable to squeeze a HM in last year and I missed it.  I think that is my favorite distance, thus far (15k would be a close second--we have a couple of those around here).  I will be doing my first HM in 2 years this Fall, followed by my 3rd marathon 4 weeks later.  I think that half is going to make me that much stronger for the full.  Bonus is that the half ends at a brewery! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

glutton for punishment

I'll chime in:

I love 5K.  I usually run one about every weekend.  After each race,  I think about how I did and what i could have done differently to improve my PR.  There are alot the factors involved: what you ate before the race; pacing; initial go out pace; position in race field; hills; weather; running the day before; sleep; how to run each mile (hold back a little mile 1, bust your ass mile 2, hold on and puke mile 3.1) you name it - theres alot involved if you want to race it and keep improving.  my PR right now is 22:15 and its very motivating to keep improving.  I dream of 21's maybe 20's who knows? 

While i do alot of 5Ks (mainly because there are alot of them to choose from) I really like to run 10K as well because of the endurance factor.  You really have to pace yourself more.  You can kind of screw up in 5K and just hang on - it will be over soon, but I dread having to stop in 10K race and walk (total wimp-out factor for me) - so you have to think through your plan a little more in a 10K

The only downside to 5K is the 3.1 miles seems kind of weak for one of your running days when your are trying to maintain a certain weekly mileage  - even though intensity-wise they are pretty brutal

PRs: 5K - 22:15 May 09 10K - 47:11 feb 09 15K - 1:16 april 09 HM - 1:47 nov 08
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The only downside to 5K is the 3.1 miles seems kind of weak for one of your running days when your are trying to maintain a certain weekly mileage  - even though intensity-wise they are pretty brutal

If you run the course as a warmup, and again afterward as a cooldown, you have 9.3mi in for the day Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Prince of Fatness

If you run the course as a warmup, and again afterward as a cooldown, you have 9.3mi in for the day Smile

Yep.  I ran a 5K race Wednesday and logged about 9 miles total.

Not at it at all. 

Lore was never as good as Data, though he wanted to be and definitely had an evil inferiority complex.

"short ultra".  Yeah.  BUT.  My 50 milers were near-death experiences.  I'll stick to 50ks and be quite happy to hear them referred to as "not really an ultra".  Yeah, whatever.

Anyway, next weekend I'm running a 28.8.  That's the Tom Cruise of ultras.

Heh.

The 50km ones are the hard ones because you have to run them fast.  The long ones are more of a rolling buffet interspersed with some shuffling.

:-)

Sign me up for the rolling buffet.