"Pink Slime" in 70% of U.S. Ground Beef (Read 1364 times)

not sure if anyone posted this here yet.  schools will get to decide. 

http://news.yahoo.com/pink-slime-choice-schools-230530972--abc-news.html

Feeling the growl again

It may be worth reading the original study rather than the mass media interpretation. Archives of Internal Medicine has some standards.

Even though EVERY study has flaws.

What??  I can't rely on a journalism major to properly interpret a scientific study??  I bet you're going to tell me there's no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny next....

If I cared I would, but I think I'll use that time to run a few extra miles.  While there may be some misrepresentation...and I HOPE they are misquoting the author, for HIS sake...I'm not going to stop eating red meat either way.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey, nice marmot!

I hear that being alive increases your risk of dying by 100%.

Perhaps better to have never been born in the first place.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Female vegetarians live on 1200 cal. Female meatatarians live on 1600 cal.

That's what I learned.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A Saucy Wench

Female vegetarians live on 1200 cal. Female meatatarians live on 1600 cal.

That's what I learned.

Adding punishment to punishment?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ultrann

If interested here is the company's response  that produces the additive:

http://pinkslimeisamyth.com/2012/03/11/top-7-myths-of-pink-slime/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ha ha, thanks ultrann, because your link led to this article that reveals this thread should be about chicken nuggets, not ground beef.  Surprised

Feeling the growl again

Ha ha, thanks ultrann, because your link led to this article that reveals this thread should be about chicken nuggets, not ground beef.  Surprised

Interesting.

They make some good points.  They also place some spin...they stress that ammonium hydroxide is "naturally occurring", insinuating that this means it is safe.  Whether something is synthetic or naturally occurring has no bearing on its safety (this is a pet peeve of mine).  Arsenic, lead, ricin, asbestos, and botulism toxin are all naturally occurring...and very, very deadly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

well hell even if they "naturally occur in the human body"  doesnt mean its ok to add it to food.  Formaldehyde, in small quantities is a  byproduct of our normal metabolism.  Doesnt mean I should be drinking the stuff.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

People want simple keywords to differentiate good vs. evil.  Natural is good, chemical is bad.  Analytical thinking is too much work.

xor

methane gas also naturally occurs.

And I think that just stinks.

methane gas also naturally occurs.

And I think that just stinks.

And on this St. Patty's weekend I must give an 'ol family blessing.

May the wind at your back not be from the corned beef and cabbage. 

xor

freakin evil corn.

Even in our beef.

Prince of Fatness