Garmin Down! (Read 277 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

i sure hope this is related to the outage, but now my watch is freezing on saving/discarding any new activity. it also didn't calculate a distance this morning even though GPS was connected Sad

That happens to me if my watch gets too full in its history.  Odds are, if we weren't in a Garmin outage right now, your morning run will show as a "Move IQ" on Garmin Connect. How long has it been since you cleared the history?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

That happens to me if my watch gets too full in its history.  Odds are, if we weren't in a Garmin outage right now, your morning run will show as a "Move IQ" on Garmin Connect. How long has it been since you cleared the history?

This seems weird - when it runs out of space, it should save the new activity & delete the oldest. But IDK, maybe some models are different. If it is designed this way, it is a terrible design. 

Dave

i sure hope this is related to the outage, but now my watch is freezing on saving/discarding any new activity. it also didn't calculate a distance this morning even though GPS was connected Sad

I’d try just turning it off & back on, and if that doesn’t do anything, try a hard reset. Hard to imagine it being related to the outage, you’re just trying to save it on the watch not connected to anything.

Dave

AXes

FWIW - My Fenix also starting freezing this morning.  Acting strange during a run - then later, buttons not working and freezing during a workout.

Not sure of the exact fix, but got it working again (for now at least)  by:

- Following the steps in the dcrainmaker link someone posted in this thread (ie uploaded this week's  FIT files to RA, then deleting some older ones)

- Rebooted watch

- Put my phone in airplane mode.

After that last step it is working fine.  Your mileage may vary.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

I saw this link this morning and was relieved (I think). Although, I have a 245. My watch is only a few months old with less than 1k miles between runs and rides.

Link to article

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I have a Forerunner 35 and it did keep a distance and time record for last Friday's run but was unable to use Garmin Connect to sync data and just found out now regarding the ransomware issue. Well, I do keep a physical handwritten log so I will not lose time and distance data, but miss the detailed analysis of the run. Like Christirei said I hope to be able to upload the data when Garmin resolves the issue and don't plan to attempt to manually upload the data. Good for Garmin I say if they refuse to pay out the 10 million! Too bad they did not have a good backup.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That's a nice story and all, but I'm more concerned a wearing a $300 brick on my wrist.

Yep, a nice story but sadly most running folks are now obsessed with kudos/likes....please look at my run!

Anyone remember Steve Jones breaking the marathon WR at Chicago in 1984 and he never wore a watch? He is one of the few elite runners that I think was genuine and I respect. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

This seems weird - when it runs out of space, it should save the new activity & delete the oldest. But IDK, maybe some models are different. If it is designed this way, it is a terrible design. 

My Garmin 45 does this and clearing the history every 30 days is what Garmin Support told me I have to do. The watch was new in Feb and I had to do a factory reset in June. I've had a pile of issues.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

From various reports out in tech news world...it seems like some Garmin watches try to connect to Garmin Connect when they delete an activity -- activities are FIFO, so when the watch needs space for the new activity, it deletes the oldest from its onboard file system. So when that connection fails, they puke on the need to delete the oldest activity.

Putting your phone in airplane mode (suggested above), or logging out of Garmin Connect on the app, both tell the device there's no way to phone home...so it works around this issue.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

CalBears

Oh yes...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

freddie.sanchez

The Scrub

FYI - if your watch supports wifi sync, I was able to wifi sync my latest activities and have them propagate to 3rd party apps.

an amazing likeness

I was just able to successfully login to Garmin Connect via a web browser. (11:55PM EST 26 Jul) Things may be coming back online...

Marky_Mark_17

I was just able to successfully login to Garmin Connect via a web browser. (11:55PM EST 26 Jul) Things may be coming back online...

Yeah, I just jumped on RA and noticed 3 activities have appeared, presumably via Garmin catching up.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

The Garmin app on my phone is both showing the message about the server being down and simultaneously uploading my workouts and displaying them for me.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12