C25K to FINISHED my first 5K race !! (Read 662 times)

De-slacking in progress

Mission accomplished. I went from sitting on the couch, lost 40+ pounds, went through the cool running C25K Training program and just ran my first 5K race. Now my training log has a RED bar on it for a race ( you better look !!) Course very hilly, was very muggy but a slight breeze blowing. Race officals changed the course during the last week due to lack of co-operation with the local Sheriff Dep't in controlling traffic. So all the practicing I had been doing on the course was for not. (Not really- hills training) Anyhow- I finished at 27:14. I also got a third place bronze medal for my age group (40-47). Had a good time, but the main thing it that I have accomplished what was imposiible for me just 5 months ago. BTW- it was a REAL race- the kid that came in third ( in under 20 mins) was hurling his guts out. Winning time for the event was low 18 min- high school track kid. Now on to adding milage, running a 5K monthly and finish a 10k race also this year

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

HermosaBoy

Congratulations on your success! Here's to continued improvment.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mission accomplished. I went from sitting on the couch, lost 40+ pounds, went through the cool running C25K Training program and just ran my first 5K race.
        You gotta love posts like this, they never get old. Nice pics, great effort. An AG award never hurts either, keep up the great work.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

TRIing to beat the heat!

BIG congratulations to you, Slaptear2! I'm a C25K grad myself and I now have my already super athletic DH on a modified version of the program. C25K rocks!!! You posted an AWESOME time for your first 5K run! Looks like you totally rocked the program AND the clock! Yes Yay for you!!!! Cool

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

50 halfs by age 50

Congratulations! Great finish time and pictures!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

You gotta love posts like this, they never get old. Nice pics, great effort. An AG award never hurts either, keep up the great work.
              Exactly. My favorite kind of race report. Great job, Slap!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Great job! And that's a fantastic time, too! Very cool to get a medal on your first race.

Queen of 3rd Place

WOW!! Shocked Everything about your post is amazing! The weight loss, the excitement of it all, a smokin' time, and even some bling! Keep it up! Arla

Ex runner

A Saucy Wench

Agree 100% Welcome to the new addiction!!!! Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Very cool. It makes me think my progress has been too slow. But it also motivates me. Way to go.

runlouierun

Top Job!
                          This photo is awesome! That smile says it all. Great accomplishment - great run!! Congrats on the AG award!
                          ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                          zzz

GREAT JOB!!!! How awesome for you! Great finish.... Your post just screams exciting... that's cool!!! Congratulations!!

Prince of Fatness

I missed this before ... glad it got bumped. Congratulations! I agree the picture of you smiling says it all. Just keep plugging away at it and it will get even better. Oh, and nice red bar you have there in your running log.

Not at it at all. 

Great job...the red bar in your log looks GREAT........conerning your picture....I have been running for 20 years and I dont think I have ever actually smiled during a run......Everyone tells me that I look like I hate it.....

Champions are made when no one is watching