Train blocks some runners at Via Marathon (Read 220 times)

Prince of Fatness

Pity post.

Anywho, this is still in the news locally.  I think that it was mentioned on the Today show earlier this week.  Here's the latest...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/09/via_understands_runner_frustra.html

I also saw that they were having a field day with this over on Letsrun.

Not at it at all. 

Joann Y

I'm still trying to understand. I don't like to criticize when I don't know the whole situation, but do I understand correctly that the only communication they had with the train people was once in June via email? It seems you would take a step back a week or so before the race and think about the top 2 or 3 things that could seriously screw up and derail your race, and then make that one extra phone call. Telling people to remember what the race was for seems like nothing but a bunch of hand waving.

Dave

Prince of Fatness

I'm still trying to understand. I don't like to criticize when I don't know the whole situation, but do I understand correctly that the only communication they had with the train people was once in June via email? It seems you would take a step back a week or so before the race and think about the top 2 or 3 things that could seriously screw up and derail your race, and then make that one extra phone call. Telling people to remember what the race was for seems like nothing but a bunch of hand waving.

From the email that I got from them it was a little more than that (I got the email because I ran the half, which was not impacted by the train).  In reading the articles this week it seems that they weren't communicating with the right people at Norfolk Southern.  My guess is that in the future there will be more focus on this (duh).  Here's the email that I received.....

Bethlehem, PA – Despite absolute assurances from Norfolk Southern Railroad that trains would be suspended from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on the morning of September 11, 2016, a train was dispatched just  before 8 a.m., holding up runners in the seventh mile of the race.

Via Vice-President Gerry Yasso held a meeting on June 22 and exchanged multiple emails with Norfolk Southern officials, where race logistics, runner safety and public safety on the course were discussed in great detail.

“This is the tenth anniversary of this race, and all 10 races have crossed the Norfolk Southern rail tracks on Albert Street to enter Canal Park in Allentown,” said Yasso, Vice President of Development for Via.   “Each and every year, we have contacted Norfolk Southern to assure runner safety, spectator safety and public safety at this intersection, and all other intersections that we cross.  The incident is especially regrettable and was quite unexpected.”

Runners affected by this incident should contact Events@ViaNet.org with pertinent data and details on how the train effected their time.  Times will be addressed on a runner-by-runner basis.

Race category award winners will be notified by the end of next week.  Awards will be distributed by mail or available for pick-up at Via’s offices. 

Not at it at all. 

I don't think it would kill Boston to accept the adjusted times......      This race is supposedly a very fast course and a good Boston qualifier.  I guess not this year.....

I ran the half and also got the email.  I think in all the years the race has been held, this has not been a problem with the railroad, and it didn't occur to the RD to follow up the week of the race.  Who knows?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xhristopher

If I ran that race and got stuck behind the train I know how to doctor my gps data to shave off whatever I would have needed. I could work it out nicely.

I look my best blurry!

Hopefully it will be a lesson learned for the RD.  Of course the race's mission is to make money for it's cause but the runners won't flock to an unreliable race that is billed as a Boston Qualifier.   I love that race and qualified for my first Boston there, so it is very disappointing.  I encourage people to run it for that reason and will have to consider this in the future.  Not to diminish the significance of the train, but I think the weather was also an issue and a possible reason why fewer runners qualified this year.  It was very warm and humid, especially early on.  Even runners that weren't stopped by the train ran slower times.  Double whammy for some.  Boo!

Prince of Fatness

Hopefully it will be a lesson learned for the RD.  Of course the race's mission is to make money for it's cause but the runners won't flock to an unreliable race that is billed as a Boston Qualifier.   I love that race and qualified for my first Boston there, so it is very disappointing.  I encourage people to run it for that reason and will have to consider this in the future.  Not to diminish the significance of the train, but I think the weather was also an issue and a possible reason why fewer runners qualified this year.  It was very warm and humid, especially early on.  Even runners that weren't stopped by the train ran slower times.  Double whammy for some.  Boo!

This happens more years than not. My biggest gripe with the race is that the second weekend of September is too risky for a hot day. That also means that the peak training period is in the middle of the summer.  I guess that they want to time it with Boston registration opening.

Not that I run marathons any more but the finish is a 5 minute drive from home and I'd run the half every year if it wasn't for the likelihood of a hot race day.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I was just happy that I got to meet MrFinn!  Smile

keeponrunning

This happens more years than not. My biggest gripe with the race is that the second weekend of September is too risky for a hot day. That also means that the peak training period is in the middle of the summer.  I guess that they want to time it with Boston registration opening.

Not that I run marathons any more but the finish is a 5 minute drive from home and I'd run the half every year if it wasn't for the likelihood of a hot race day.

Sorry I didn't realize who you were at the race-- I was with the LLR girls, and they referred to you by your real name, so I had no clue that you were a fellow RAer.  Anyway, I was the random young blonde girl with them.

I didn't get behind the train at all, but I can see how standing around in the heat in the middle of the race would be annoying, especially if you're aiming for a BQ.  It was a really hot day for a run!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

kilkee

runktrun

the finish is a 5 minute drive from home 

Hi.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was just happy that I got to meet MrFinn!  Smile

He really doesn't look like his avatar...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay