Boston 2014 (Read 439 times)

Since the 2015 race already has a thread, I thought the one that's only 25 days, 16 hours away deserved equal billing.

Did you get your Runner Passport in the mail today?

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

No, but they emailed me

BOSTON MARATHONERS,

In the sections below you will find information about your participation in the 2014 Boston Marathon. If you have any questions about the event, please look at our website and our FAQ section at www.baa.org. Or, connect with us on social media at facebook.com/thebostonmarathon and twitter.com/bostonmarathon.

We wish you the best of luck as your training continues. Less than one month to go!!

Sincerely, The B.A.A.

#sotightwithbaa

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, got that email.  I think the passports were mailed yesterday.

Anyone know if the BAA will let someone pick up my packet other than the race bib?  I can't run, but I'd like to get the swag anyway.  (I'm shallow.)

I guess I can call them, but if it's a no-go I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I got my runner passport today and I am turbo psyched. In case anyone was wondering what the cut off was for wave 1, I ran a 3:12:36 qualifier and I am in the last 150 in the wave, so I am guessing somewhere around 3:13-3:14.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I got my runner passport today and I am turbo psyched. In case anyone was wondering what the cut off was for wave 1, I ran a 3:12:36 qualifier and I am in the last 150 in the wave, so I am guessing somewhere around 3:13-3:14.

Congrats on your placement!

The break between Wave 1 (10:00 a.m.) and Wave 2 (10:25 a.m.) is 3:12:52.

The break between Wave 2 and Wave 3 (11:00 a.m.) is 3:33:34.

All remaining qualifiers are in Wave 3. Wave 4 will start at (11:25 a.m.)

Feeling the growl again

Anyone know if the BAA will let someone pick up my packet other than the race bib?  I can't run, but I'd like to get the swag anyway.  (I'm shallow.)

I guess I can call them, but if it's a no-go I don't want to waste my time or theirs.

I did this for someone who had a family emergency and could not make the race.  When I explained the situation to them they were very helpful and gave me the packet with the exception of the race bib.  It took some extra time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

montag

Super Pro Lurker

Thanks! You are clearly much better at reading than me. I completely missed that the first time I read the wave information. oops Smile

Congrats on your placement!

The break between Wave 1 (10:00 a.m.) and Wave 2 (10:25 a.m.) is 3:12:52.

The break between Wave 2 and Wave 3 (11:00 a.m.) is 3:33:34.

All remaining qualifiers are in Wave 3. Wave 4 will start at (11:25 a.m.)

Anonymous Guest

Got two pieces of mail today - my runner passport from BAA (yay!) and my Visa bill (not yay!). It's my first Boston, so I get unbelievably excited at every little thing, even the emails. Getting actual mail today was awesome.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Do you have to register to get one of those?  If not, I'm going to complain to the RD.

Julia1971

Got two pieces of mail today - my runner passport from BAA (yay!) and my Visa bill (not yay!). It's my first Boston, so I get unbelievably excited at every little thing, even the emails. Getting actual mail today was awesome.

Smile  'Cause every time I get an email I think, "Didn't you tell me this already?  What is new here?"

But, I'm excited, too.  I did "Hot Boston" and have always had a feeling it probably wasn't a true Boston experience.

I got my passport and booklet and went through it.  The thing that mostly jumped out at me was bag check at Boston Common.  I was already thinking no bag check and then seeing the bag check "map" with the tiny 1,2,3, and 4s on them which I'm guessing means wave and knowing there are 10,000 runners per wave and knowing how early runners like to show up at stuff...  I'm really thinking no bag check.

Only 5 days to go, it's getting close.  Looks like the weather is going to be decent, if the current forecast doesn't change too much.  I think I'm going to head in to the Expo on Friday to pick my packet up.  I've never gone in on Friday before.  Anyone know what the crowds are like on Friday?  I'm hoping maybe it will be a little less busy.

Happy tapering, everyone.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                          2. Run 5k < 16:00
                          3. Hold off father time for at least another year

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Competitor interview with RA user and New Jersey native (had to) Reno Stirrat.

All the best to those running Boston.

Thanks for that.  Inspirational for us runners in our 60s, not that I'm in his league in any other way.

Reno is a fixture in the New England running community (and his log is on RA.) Only recently have injuries and years caught up to him enough that I can occasionally beat him in races, though on an age-graded basis he still kicks my ass.

Runners run