Running sandals?! (Read 136 times)

Not dead. Yet.

My friend just sent me a link to the next pair of running "shoes" he wants to buy... Luna sandals

I know the Tarahumara wore sandals...he tells me all about it  Smile   But are there any issues in running in something like this?  I guess it's no worse than barefoot running.  Has anybody tried them?

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

GC100k

Wow.  A hundred bucks for sandals?

When I first started running, there was a month or so where I didn't have access to shoes and I ran my daily 5 mile run in flip-flops.  Not that big a deal. I've also run in Tiddies, which are great for running.   You can run in sandals.  Don't know that you need special $100 running sandals.

mikeymike

Those things look pretty maximalist and boast a "rugged protective sole"--at 7 oz they are much heavier than most racing flats and a lot of lightweight trainers. And for $100 I sort of expect something that doesn't look like I could make it myself with a pair of scissors and $5 worth of supplies from an art store.

So, unless you're really just going for style (and by style I mean a carefully constructed facade that says, "I'm not concerned with style") I can't see the point of those things. But whatever works for you.

Runners run

sugnim

I hate sandals that have straps that go between the toes.  But, I have done some hiking & impromptu light trail running in a pair of Colombia sandals that I have which are similar to the ones below.  They worked fine for me.  I prefer actual shoes, however.

Wow expensive! I haven't tried them, but I would be worried about toe wedgies and rubbing in between my toes personally. Otherwise look no worse to use than barefoot or any other thing they've come out with lately..

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

running metalhead

I own 2 pairs, but from Xeroshoes.com

Pretty much the same.

I wrote a blog entry some time ago, I even managed to put a Garmin foot pod on them to track my distance:

First 5-miler with Huaraches

The Luna's have a different lacing system so that there are no special concerns about that. With the "traidtional" lacing it's a bit trickier as they can become quite an annoyance if laced in the wrong way. For people used to minimalist footwear such as Vibrams of lightweight shoes like the MT10 the transition is easy.

Regarding technique, it comes by itself. You can use forefoot and mid-foot strike but as you will feel the terrain more you will find yourself changing the type of strike more often, this happens even on roads. The legs will be somewhat sore, in the good sense; muscle-burn.

I would certainly encourage anybody to use huaraches, if only for low mileage recovery training as running with them is a heck of a workout and you will reap the benefits later when running in normal shoes.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

I even managed to put a Garmin foot pod on them to track my distance:

First 5-miler with Huaraches

A bit of irony there. That's funny.

Not that Huaraches and Garmins are mutually exclusive products, but on the surface I would think they would appeal to entirely different realms of the running world.

Certainly, minimalists can and do enjoy tracking the data from their runs as much as fully shod runners. I just find the combination of the ultra low-tech and high-tech interesting.

Although, I suppose it's no more ironic than paying ultra premium shoe prices for "minimal/anatomical" shoes.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I sort of expect something that doesn't look like I could make it myself with a pair of scissors and $5 worth of supplies from an art store.

At $20, xeroshoes.com come a lot closer to this.  I've tried 'em.  Not too bad, except the knots tend to wear holes in the tops of my feet.  I can't use them without putting pieces of tape on my feet under the knots.

joescott

The Lunas have MGT, though.  Monkey Grip Technology.  You can't find that just anywhere.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

The Lunas have MGT, though.  Monkey Grip Technology.  You can't find that just anywhere.

The original monkey grip technology:

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I do 99% of my running in huaraches, both Lunas and Unshoes. I absolutely love them!  If you don't like the strap between the toes, you can use the Unshoes Pah Tempe.

http://www.unshoesusa.com/pahtempe.html

http://www.unshoesusa.com/wokova.html

I used them for all but a few runs even in winter, with socks of course.

But if you're concerned about the cost, there are more inexpensive varieties out there like Bedrock Sandals:

http://bedrocksandals.com/goods

and Branca:

http://www.runbranca.com/leather-running-sandals

running metalhead

Not that Huaraches and Garmins are mutually exclusive products, but on the surface I would think they would appeal to entirely different realms of the running world.

Certainly, minimalists can and do enjoy tracking the data from their runs as much as fully shod runners. I just find the combination of the ultra low-tech and high-tech interesting.

Although, I suppose it's no more ironic than paying ultra premium shoe prices for "minimal/anatomical" shoes.

Dunno. Most barefoot and minimalist runners I know use GPS. In any case I am not a philosopher; minimalist and barefoot running is perfectly logic if you consider that our feet and our whole body have been evolving for millions of years to do just that. But being the nerd I am I can't live without data.

BTW, these were Xeroshoes costing 15 or so Euro.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)