Swollen shins and shin splints (Read 63 times)

legsarebroke

So, I have been trying to run for a long time and honestly my body has fought back. I have ran many Ragnar's, mud runs, and a marathon. I've got the experience under my belt to tell you, my legs don't work. When I started running I quickly got my distance up to 5-6 miles and had no issues running along at a slow pace. I am 230 and 6'4. Muscular not designed for running. I was using training shoes that had no support and were flat. When I was upping the distance to 10 miles I bought a brand new pair of Brooks that were like 150$ and very cushioned and supportive. So begins the end of my running. Constant shin splints. Every time I run now the next day I have shin splints. Today I went for a run and the lateral anterior part of my shin had a noticeable swollen ball. Both legs get it but I get it worse in my left leg. It gets so swollen and painful during the run I have to stop because I can't do dorsi or plantar-flexion. I thought maybe it was the new shoes and they went against my natural running, so I tried a couple different shoes that aren't for running and some basic shoes. Nothing changes, a mile in that swelling in the side of my leg starts. I don't know what to do. Do i have compartmental syndrome, is it the shoes, is it my gate, is it some systemic issue with what muscles I'm favoring. Do I have a cardiac issue and can't return venous blood? OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING?

I know the frustration.  When I build up my mileage my shins hurt too. If I were you,  I would go to a doc and see if they can see what's wrong.  Most likely,  they will refer you to physical therapy.  That may help.  Another thing I would try is complete rest from running,  ice you shins and eventually build your runs back up very slowly.  I used to have compression sleeves that had ice packs I could stuff in then.  They were awesome.

http://ericstarrtraining.blogspot.com/
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Go to your doctor and get checked out.

Don't try to rely on Dr.Google and internet strangers to tell you what could be an issue.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

JeffWoodland

link spam