missed six days - not the typical way to taper (Read 493 times)

I could use some advice... I've been training for the Last Chance for Boston Marathon in Columbus, OH on Sunday, Feb. 11th (http://www.premierraces.com/LastChance/lastchance.html), hoping to BQ for this year's race. Last Wednesday (1/24), I did my final long run of 22 miles, then went to Guatemala for six days and wasn't able to run. Six days off wasn't my plan for tapering! Now that I'm back, I'm trying to decide what to do in the 1.5 weeks before the race. I was thinking of running three-four 5-6 mile tempo runs this week to build back some speed, then a slow 10 on Sunday, and taper the last week (4-3-3-2-0-0-race). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I don't think you'll lose too much fitness in 6 days. It might probably help you. I would do two 5-6 mile tempo runs this week, and then go into the taper. You're half way through the taper already and I think all those schedule runs might end up hurting you. I'm also not keen on taking 2 days rest before the marathon. How about doing 4-0-3-0-2-0-race instead?
        I don't think you lost much (if any) fitness in less than a week. I like Collector's schedule (4-0-3-0-2-0-race). I've read -- on here, recently -- that unplanned time off can actually help your race!
        2009: BQ?
          I think all those schedule runs might end up hurting you.
          Probably true - it's hard for me to believe I haven't lost much and to back off.
          The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison

Why is it sideways?

I'd say run the 10 on Sunday as a progression run, starting easy, but holding marathon pace or a little faster over the last 5 miles, then do whatever you want the other days. Just keep the running comfortable. Nothing that would make you sore. The layoff shouldn't hurt you.
            RUN HARD

What? Don't sweet it. Your fine. I say do one Speed workout, Tempo, OR PACE run on THU OR FRI.....easy on SAT, then 10 on SUN. My suggestion would be 7 mile pace run. Also last week I would do some 400's at race pace....just so u get pacing down