ASICS Nimbus 18 alternative (Read 109 times)

Ghyndui

My last three shoes have all been ASICS Nimbus shoes, and I need a new pair.  However, I've read elsewhere that ASICS has narrowed the toe box of the Nimbus 19.  The toe box is really where I need the help as I have really wide feet (and high arches, but that's another topic).

Could anyone recommend an alternative to the ASICS Nimbus extra-wide that has a bigger toe box?

#artbydmcbride

Altra Torin

Runners run

GinnyinPA

Are they cushioned?  The thing I loved about the Nimbus is they were very cushioned, which made long runs a lot less painful.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Brooks Glycerin I think are pretty equivalent.  Brooks tend to run a little wider in the toebox which I like as well.

You people have issues 

an amazing likeness

New Balance 1080 is a similar shoe. I often mix the 1080 and the Nimbus in my shoe inventory.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

I had the same problem w/ the Nimbus 19:  narrower toe box than 18s and wide feet w/ crazy high arches. FWIW I sent my feedback directly to ASICS. Don’t expect anything out of it. I hate when they screw around w/ my favorite shoes.

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
              5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

GinnyinPA

I ordered a pair of the Nimbus 19s, hoping it would work for me as well as the 17 and 18 did. Nope. My toes feel really cramped. I can't imagine trying to run long on them. So it's back to the drawing board. I hate having to find new shoes that work with my wide feet.

Try the Brooks Glycerin. I too, hate when a company "improves" a product that kicks ass. You can't improve on kickass, you can only eff it up.

AceHarris

I ran in the Nimbus for 5+ years, but then an update (around Nimbus 13 I think) a new seam irritated my pinky toe and I had to switch. I too found the Brooks Glycerin and easy adjustment. It has great cushion and response. (Of note: I no longer run in either of those models. I eventually switched to Pearl Izumi and now enjoy cheap prices as the d/c their running department) Not sure where I'll go next.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Yep.....Asics screwed up the Nimbus with the 17 when they went with that molded single piece upper shell thing......foot box narrowed.  I had worn the Asics Nimbus since 2006 and hated to admit that I now HATE this shoe.

Brooks has a better toe box, hands down.  I have tried two pairs of the Ghost......but the cushioning on their shoes just isn't as good as the Asics was.  I haven't tried the Glycerin, but know that is the equivalent to the Nimbus.  I do have their PureFlow and really love them.

I like the recommendation on the Altra shoes.  Looks like I may have to give them a try.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

I have tried many and am currently cycling the Nimbus, Ghost, Hoka Cliftons. The Brooks is my favorite. My arch hurts in the Hoka and the drop is bad for my knee. The Nimbus is really tight in the toebox. I will try an Altra next - and stick to Brooks. They know what they are doing Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Sunflower747

I have brooks ghost and love them.  I also have saucony freedom iso.  When I tried on shoes I told them I needed ones with a lot of cushion, wide feet, and that would be good for long distance/ marathon training.  Those are the two that I came out with and liked the best.  When I first went there to try on shoes I actually told them I wanted to try asics (because of the cushion) but since my feet were wider they weren't a good option.

WC Ranger

I was a die-hard fan of the ASICS Gel Kayano's, their high-cushion "stability" model, for several years. But they went to a narrower toe box after the 21's and I had to search for an alternative. While I've yet to run a marathon in them, I've found the Saucony Ecehlon 5's to be a fairly comfortable alternative. Sadly, I tried the Ecehlon 6's recently and found that this shoe also shrunk the toe box width. So had to add one more pair of Echelon 5's to the rotation - this last pair will be the "fresh" pair for race day.

teileen

I recall loving the cushion of the nimbus but it felt heavy so I switched to Nike Vomero before they screwed it up around version 6.  Finally found the Saucony iso triumph 2 a couple of years ago maybe.  They have since moved onto the 3 so I've been buying up all the 2s I can find!  Very cushy!

Est. 2006

I am surprised to hear Saucony to be mentioned as near equivalent to the Nimbus.  When I tried Saucony 10+ years ago, they were VERY narrow in comparison and the arch was also positioned WAY out of "normal" for me......to the point I haven't even considered them ever since.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.