10-15 Miles/wk for Peak Health Benefit?? (Read 120 times)

I guess it may depend if you run to be healthy....or do you only run to improve your times etc... body be damned!?

Long story short, this Dr. claims that after 25 miles/wk you're actually causing more harm than good..., at least to your heart and longevity.

10-15 miles/week is maximum health benefit

5-20 miles/wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0

Curious what all of you think?

Also what are your motives?

Solely health improvement?

Health and Race times?

Only race times even at the detriment of your body's health and longevity?

300m- 37 sec.

Is this one of those studies with small sample sizes? If so, the results are garbage.

Did this doctor misuse a statistical analysis package?  I have seen a statistical analysis package misused, resulting in similar results.

There was a large scale study recently (can't find a link) showing that more aerobic exercise was better for health, up to and including marathon running.

Study of 50,000 runners...

Is this one of those studies with small sample sizes? If so, the results are garbage.

Did this doctor misuse a statistical analysis package?  I have seen a statistical analysis package misused, resulting in similar results.

There was a large scale study recently (can't find a link) showing that more aerobic exercise was better for health, up to and including marathon running.

300m- 37 sec.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I only run for health but still want to get faster.

15 miles is the lowest I can see improvement on.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

mikeymike

Disclaimer: I watched 3 minutes and decided no way I'm listening to this guy for 18 minutes. I hate Ted Talks. I get the concept and it's been well reported on: the health benefits of running are maxed out at low mileage and additional mileage doesn't improve outcomes and may actually lead to problems.

But here's the thing: all the data shows that high mileage runners have much better long term health outcomes than sedentary people. So if you're an obsessive/competitive person who can't get motivated to do ANY exercise unless you're going after racing goals then running "too much" is still way better than not enough.

Plus, also, the runnershawn example.

And then, for me, there's the mental health aspect. Running, racing, chasing windmills is a hell of a lot cheaper and healthier than anxiety meds (for me, not diagnosing anyone else, ymmv, etc. etc.)

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

And then, for me, there's the mental health aspect. Running, racing, chasing windmills is a hell of a lot cheaper and healthier than anxiety meds (for me, not diagnosing anyone else, ymmv, etc. etc.)

Yes sir.  I've sorted out a lot of life crap while out on the roads, for sure.

Not at it at all. 

joescott

This is that idiot O'Keefe who has been thoroughly debunked by Alex Hutchinson for his stupidity on this "running too much hurts your heart" business.  I am ashamed to say he practices here in the Kansas City area.  He has been around for a few years now.  He also is into all that caveman diet dumbness.  Ignore the quack.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20849854/will-running-too-much-kill-you/

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

Oh, and on the poll.... not enough choices.  Faster race times = better health.  That has always been true for me personally.  I'll bet a lot of people here on RA could say exactly the same thing.  So, O'Keefe, I will run WAY MORE than 15 miles a week, beat your tail in a race any day of the week, and still outlive you (unless hit by truck or lightning, of course.... running does have its other hazards).  :-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

delicate flower

I would like to be faster even if it means being a little less healthy.  Where can I sign up for that?

<3

I would like to be faster even if it means being a little less healthy.  Where can I sign up for that?

You already did.

Dave

Joann Y

This is that idiot O'Keefe who has been thoroughly debunked by Alex Hutchinson for his stupidity on this "running too much hurts your heart" business.  I am ashamed to say he practices here in the Kansas City area.  He has been around for a few years now.  He also is into all that caveman diet dumbness.  Ignore the quack.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20849854/will-running-too-much-kill-you/

We've had a thread about this guy before. I wish I could find it.

an amazing likeness

We've had a thread about this guy before. I wish I could find it.

link

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.