other forms of fitness: calorie burn? (Read 213 times)

ches

I am a runner who struggles with the heat. During summer months in the hot Midwest, I try to find other ways to supplement my running. I do video dvds for strength training and I'm wanting to try the indoor trampoline park. Any ideas on how to calculate calorie burn?

running metalhead

What about rope skipping?

It's awesome, it's a heck of a pliometrics workout and you can do it at home if you have a space to do it or in the garden. OK, it's hot there too, but you can just stop, refresh yourself and continue.

The elliptical is another awesome form of cardio, better than the treadmill, no or low impact and you can make excellent HIIT intervals.

I personally like boxing. I bought myself a 70cm bag (newby size, LOL), gloves and stuff and I am hitting it mostly for upper body strenght. I hang the bag from one of these pull-up contraptions that you hang in the door frame. Additionally I do shadow boxing.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Izolda

Except from typical workout you can do at home, you can try to go to the gym. They usually have some air conditioning so it's much cooler there Wink And beside that, you can meet some new people there, or even ask some trainers about good burned calories calculators.

And about the running, you can always run in the evenings or mornings when it's not so hot

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kamyk.apocalypticrunnerlite&hl=pl

Check out this site.   It lists TONS of activities with estimated calories burn based on your body weight

Trampoline is even listed when you select the whole list.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm

ilp

I struggle with heat too. Try to get up early early or run late night.

Try road biking--it's way windier due to speed of travel and it's a lot easier to keep the level of effort light or have periods of coasting/rest. So that will keep you considerably cooler, trust me.

I'd like to second the gym suggestion: air-conditioned gym where you can go and either run on a treadmill or use a rowing machine or use stationary bikes. Be sure to set treadmill to a 1.0 incline to make it a little more like road running.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Try road biking--it's way windier due to speed of travel and it's a lot easier to keep the level of effort light or have periods of coasting/rest. So that will keep you considerably cooler, trust me.

This is good idea. Also, try swimming -- the perfect summer time exercise! I add cycling and swimming to the mix over the summer and have gotten into triathlons to keep me motivated. Being outside is an essential part of why I exercise so going to an air-conditioned gym has little appeal to me. Cycling is much easier than running in the heat and swimming feels fantastic.