Apple: it just works (Read 806 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Except my keyboard and trackpad on my MBP 15 running Leopard.  They just stopped working.  All software is up to date and external keyboard/mouse does work.  Computer is about 18 months old.

Anybody heard of this?

Giant Flaming Dork

Quick google search turned up some firmware stuff 18 months ago. Then there was this that looked promising...

http://lbarclay.wordpress.com/2009/01/29/macbook-pro-trakpad-and-keyboard-not-working/

good luck

http://xkcd.com/621/

Imminent Catastrophe

Obviously you've restarted and run disk utility. Can you start from the Installation disk?

Anyway, I had some problems with my 1st-generation 2.0 MBP (I had Applecare). The third time I brought it in to the Apple Store they handed me a brand new 2.4 Core 2 Duo. Yay Apple. And yay Applecare.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

firmware is updated, disk utility run, restart loads of times, and again an external keyboard/mouse works (as does screen sharing access from another computer)...

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, sounds like a hardware or firmware issue. Next stop, AppleStore Genius Bar.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Get Lost :)

Except my keyboard and trackpad on my MBP 15 running Leopard.  They just stopped working.  All software is up to date and external keyboard/mouse does work.  Computer is about 18 months old.

Anybody heard of this?

Try resetting PRAM and PMU. Also check to see what it says under System Profiler > Hardware > USB. Should say something about your kbd/trackpad. It could be a loose cable. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Went to the genyus bar, which was packed, so I just did a fast drop.  I 'spect they will call me tomorrow.  If a mother board, it may just be worth getting a new computer as soon as Snow Leopard joins the ranks...
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Try resetting PRAM and PMU. Also check to see what it says under System Profiler > Hardware > USB. Should say something about your kbd/trackpad. It could be a loose cable. 

I'm hoping for a cable issue.  Profiler reported no errors.

Imminent Catastrophe

Went to the genyus bar, which was packed, so I just did a fast drop.  I 'spect they will call me tomorrow.  If a mother board, it may just be worth getting a new computer as soon as Snow Leopard joins the ranks...

Well, there's your problem. You went to the "genyus" bar, instead of the "genius" bar. Those "genyus" guys are known scammers. You'll never see your laptop again.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looks like this computer did come with AppleCare.  I do not remember registering it in any way.  Does anybody know, is there anything I need to do now or should Apple have a record of AppleCare being tied to that computer's serial number?

MTA: never mind, just checked my serial number online and it shows the AC in place for another year and a half!  Score!!

Imminent Catastrophe

hope this helps

Although, when you buy you are offered the option of AppleCare to extend the warranty beyond 90 days. You would probably already know if you had paid for this option. Still, I've found that they are pretty flexible about coverage. 18 months and a serious hardware failure...they may be sympathetic and accommodate you.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Naw, my coverage extends 3 years, through 1/2011!!  I'm all good, methinks Smile  I did not remember if AC was on this box, but it appears that it was.  Save all your files folks!
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Keyboard and Top Case cable went bad.  Covered. Smile

Skooter 3.0

They are so cool over at Apple...my 2 year old iPhone caught on fire the other day (heh, no shit...it was pretty scary. And also hilarious) I had no apple care, no reciept and the damn thing was 2 years old and dinged up to all hell. I went in to see what they would do (I would have been willing to pay to "repair" it) and they just swapped it out for a new one...exact same model and everything.

They really take customer service to a new level. Love them.

Goals?

Menace to Sobriety

They are so cool over at Apple...my 2 year old iPhone caught on fire the other day (heh, no shit...it was pretty scary. And also hilarious)

There's no app for that?

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.