Beer ingredients (Read 72 times)

Dream Maker

Not that I am worried about all ingredients here but thought some might find it interesting

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

Prince of Fatness

I don't see any beer in this picture from the article.

Not at it at all. 

TJoseph

Newcastle is tasty even if it is ale and not beer.  GMO corn hasn't killed me yet and it has been around for nearly 20 years, so I am not too worried about that.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Help me understand what you mean when you say that an ale is not a beer...

TJoseph

I am not a beer expert, but I understand it has to do with the brewing process (the yeast is on top in ale?)  In California any beer over 3.99% alcohol by weight may not be called "beer," but must be called "Malt Liquor, Ale, Stout or Porter."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Beer is any alcohol-containing fermented beverage made off of a grain base, typically fermented with barley, wheat, rye and/or corn (yes, sake is a type of beer). Beer can be classified as being an ale or a lager, based on the type of yeast used, with MOST beers being ales. California's arbitrary laws do not necessarily reflect the world of beer, nor do Germany's purity laws (which state that beer can ONLY contain barley or wheat, water, yeast and hops).

TJoseph

Well I did say that I am not an expert

Prince of Fatness

Beer is any alcohol-containing fermented beverage made off of a grain base, typically fermented with barley, wheat, rye and/or corn.

Or potatoes!  Wink

Not at it at all. 

Well despite some strongly disparaging comments elsewhere on this site, I still like the regular Guinness. And now I know it is because of the fish bladder. I guess it is an acquired taste.

Dave

Am I doing this right?

Not that I am worried about all ingredients here but thought some might find it interesting

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

That's why I brew my own, duh.

Although if I'm out working all day, PBR is the way to go.

No excuses....

TakeAHike

... California's arbitrary laws do not necessarily reflect the world of beer, nor do Germany's purity laws (which state that beer can ONLY contain barley or wheat, water, yeast and hops).

Sure. There are other ways to make beer, but I have never had a German beer and felt that it would taste better if they added more ingredients.  Belgian kriek beers and such are interesting once in a while, but I prefer beers that are made with more basic ingredients.  I do like Guinness though.  I guess the fish bladder does not bother me.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Feeling the growl again

GMO corn hasn't killed me yet and it has been around for nearly 20 years, so I am not too worried about that.

How dare you challenge an accepted data-less dogma with reason or evidence.

I'm not sure what is so surprising about what is on that list.  Other than that people drink some of it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Bring on the German beer!      Disappointed to hear about the high fructose corn syrup in Guinness, though.  Fish bladder I could live with.