... and neither do ferrets. (Read 1332 times)

bhearn

I always knew non runners are ferrets.

Most people in America have never even tried running for fun.  if they ever ran for more than 10 minutes consecutively in their life it was probably considered some form of punishment.  Then by the time they hit age 25 they have excess mass and weak tendons/bones/muscles making it hard for them to do enough running to get to the point where it is enjoyable. 

I don't think I'm even exagerating. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Most people in America have never even tried running for fun.  if they ever ran for more than 10 minutes consecutively in their life it was probably considered some form of punishment.  Then by the time they hit age 25 they have excess mass and weak tendons/bones/muscles making it hard for them to do enough running to get to the point where it is enjoyable. 

I don't think I'm even exagerating. 

And no one ever let them in on a little secret: the first 2 miles ALWAYS suck.  If someone had told me that WAY back when I was in HS and refused to try XC it probably would have made all the difference.  I figured if a 1 mile warm-up sucked that it would only get worse.  When I figured this out in my 30s I mentioned this to my MIL (a long-time runner) and she agreed that the first 2 are almost never enjoyable.  WHY did she never tell me this during the times in my 20s when I would start and stop running after a few weeks?  I'm a GOTR coach, now...this is something I have made sure to mention to the girls when they are struggling.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, and why didn't they tell us that once we're beyond 2 miles, it's equivalent to toking up and it's legal?  Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, and why didn't they tell us that once we're beyond 2 miles, it's equivalent to toking up and it's legal?  Wink

Right!  There's a reason none of my runs are ever <2.5 or so miles, ever! Evil

~ Sarah Kay

My wife have had the discussion that it is a shame the way running is "taught" in school.  The only experience most high school graduates have with running is the gym class mile.  They take the whole class out to the track and say "ok, run around 4 times as hard as you can....if you aren't fast enough you have to do it again".  Of course no one is going to like that.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

And no one ever let them in on a little secret: the first 2 miles ALWAYS suck.  If someone had told me that WAY back when I was in HS and refused to try XC it probably would have made all the difference.  I figured if a 1 mile warm-up sucked that it would only get worse.  When I figured this out in my 30s I mentioned this to my MIL (a long-time runner) and she agreed that the first 2 are almost never enjoyable.  

I've heard others talk about this before, but I very seldom have the feeling that it sucks during the 1st couple of miles.  Maybe I don't run fast enough or hard enough for it to "always suck" during the first 2 miles, but I've never experienced this.

MTA: I really think that I enjoy every step of every mile (98.75% of the time)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: I really think that I enjoy every step of every mile (98.75% of the time)

You are very lucky...sometimes I have those godawful runs where the entire thing sucks.  Not a big deal when it's only a 3-4 miler, but much longer than that and it makes me wonder why I bother.  Fortunately these are not all that common.

~ Sarah Kay

Ferrets are weird.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

I don't think she is wearing a jog bra.

#artbydmcbride

I agree

Runners run

I admit I stared at the picture for a good 10 seconds.  Then moving onto the first sentence I was in total confusion as the subject of the article had by then become an unrelated distant memory. 

I don't think she is wearing a jog bra.

I need one more than she does. 

Tomorrow will be worse

I admit I stared at the picture for a good 10 seconds.  Then moving onto the first sentence I was in total confusion as the subject of the article had by then become an unrelated distant memory. 

I admit I got bored with the article and went back to stare at the picture for a bit