Dear newcomers (Read 2570 times)

bhearn

Welcome! We are sorry to hear that RWOL has begun to suck, and hope you will find a comfortable new home here.

I'm just a random poster, and certainly don't speak with any authority here, but I would just like to mention a couple of things.

First, I've seen some comments like "it's not real active here, hopefully that will change". Actually it is quite active here. We have a lot of knowledgeable people who are very helpful. One reason I am here and not at RWOL is that it just seems like a monster madhouse over there, way too big. RA is very comfortable. Most of us like it quite well the way it is. As has been mentioned, a lot of the activity is in the user groups. There are a lot of them. Feel free to make more if you don't see what you want. Which brings me to...

Second, we don't really have a tradition here of "daily" threads in the main forum area, and I think most existing RAers would prefer to keep it that way. At least, that was my reaction, and it's what I'm also hearing in the swamp (my primary user group). Thing is, anything posted in the main forums shows up in the "Recent Topics" area, and pushes other recent threads out of view. Many groups (e.g. Masters Running) do have quite active daily threads. 

So... all I'm saying is, please don't try to remake RA in RWOL's image. I'm sure nobody has that plan in mind specifically, but it is easy to get used to "the way things are supposed to be". Here, the organization is a bit different, and the culture is a bit different, and it pays to learn the local landscape. But the great thing is, with the user groups, there is plenty of room for all different kinds of subcultures.

Again, and most importantly, welcome!

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I posted this in the BF forum, if that's ok.

Yeah I agree with all of that. The main forums are pretty overwhelming right now to a lot of us old timers with all the "Hi I'm New Here!!" and various daily threads filling up almost the entire recent topics window--and that's probably keeping the normal running chatter down a bit as regulars are hiding out in their various groups waiting for the initial influx to calm down.  Well, that plus it being a holiday weekend.

I figure it will die down after a few days/weeks and things will get back to normal. Welcome, people.

Runners run

evanflein

Well said, bhearn! RA is great just the way it is, and more users will just add to the party. But it's great because it's not like those other places....

And, just to be contrary to what SRLopez posted about Masters not venturing out, Hi Stevie Ray!! Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'll just echo what has already been said.  Hi.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Word.
              dennrunner

echo echo

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes, this.   And welcome.

steph  

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Thanks for the RA Culture 101. Smile  I think most refugees will be friendly to the culture here.

People seem really nice here, and welcoming.  I appreciate that - and I know I'm not the only one.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the site and its members.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well said.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

And, just to be contrary to what SRLopez posted about Masters not venturing out, Hi Stevie Ray!! Wink

Oh, no! Look what those RW'ers went and did. Now all of the masters runners are going to pull their Lord-knows-whats when getting out of their rocking chairs to wave at the kids on the lawn. Wink

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Sounds good. So basically daily threads like the "Dailies" and the "Penguins" should  be started in the "BF and Beyond" user group . With the current lay of the land that would make sense. My thinking was not to stay segregated. Maybe in the beginning it will be that way until we all get used to each other. 

Hopefully we're not considered as being the "dark side" , so we come bearing gifts of cookies and beer!

Abiento!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Sounds good. So basically daily threads like the "Dailies" and the "Penguins" should  be started in the "BF and Beyond" user group . With the current lay of the land that would make sense. My thinking was not to stay segregated. Maybe in the beginning it will be that way until we all get used to each other. 

Hopefully we're not considered as being the "dark side" , so we come bearing gifts of cookies and beer!

Abiento!

Yes, definitely cookies!

And pies!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Woo hoo!  Cookies and beer!

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cookies, pies, and beer?  Throw in some bacon and you REALLY have my undivided attention! Evil

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay