Dear newcomers (Read 2570 times)

#artbydmcbride

Hello, Tim.  It is nice to see you here.  Welcome aboard.

OMG Baboon!!!  Who else is here?

Runners run

Joann Y

I'm here! Who are you?

#artbydmcbride

I'm me!!

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Welcome! We are sorry to hear that RWOL has begun to suck, and hope you will find a comfortable new home here.

I'm just a random poster, and certainly don't speak with any authority here, but I would just like to mention a couple of things.

First, I've seen some comments like "it's not real active here, hopefully that will change". Actually it is quite active here. We have a lot of knowledgeable people who are very helpful. One reason I am here and not at RWOL is that it just seems like a monster madhouse over there, way too big. RA is very comfortable. Most of us like it quite well the way it is. As has been mentioned, a lot of the activity is in the user groups. There are a lot of them. Feel free to make more if you don't see what you want. Which brings me to...

Second, we don't really have a tradition here of "daily" threads in the main forum area, and I think most existing RAers would prefer to keep it that way. At least, that was my reaction, and it's what I'm also hearing in the swamp (my primary user group). Thing is, anything posted in the main forums shows up in the "Recent Topics" area, and pushes other recent threads out of view. Many groups (e.g. Masters Running) do have quite active daily threads. 

So... all I'm saying is, please don't try to remake RA in RWOL's image. I'm sure nobody has that plan in mind specifically, but it is easy to get used to "the way things are supposed to be". Here, the organization is a bit different, and the culture is a bit different, and it pays to learn the local landscape. But the great thing is, with the user groups, there is plenty of room for all different kinds of subcultures.

Again, and most importantly, welcome!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bhearn

Oh now I get it.

Joann Y

Welcome! We are sorry to hear that RWOL has begun to suck, and hope you will find a comfortable new home here.

I'm just a random poster, and certainly don't speak with any authority here, but I would just like to mention a couple of things.

First, I've seen some comments like "it's not real active here, hopefully that will change". Actually it is quite active here. We have a lot of knowledgeable people who are very helpful. One reason I am here and not at RWOL is that it just seems like a monster madhouse over there, way too big. RA is very comfortable. Most of us like it quite well the way it is. As has been mentioned, a lot of the activity is in the user groups. There are a lot of them. Feel free to make more if you don't see what you want. Which brings me to...

Second, we don't really have a tradition here of "daily" threads in the main forum area, and I think most existing RAers would prefer to keep it that way. At least, that was my reaction, and it's what I'm also hearing in the swamp (my primary user group). Thing is, anything posted in the main forums shows up in the "Recent Topics" area, and pushes other recent threads out of view. Many groups (e.g. Masters Running) do have quite active daily threads. 

So... all I'm saying is, please don't try to remake RA in RWOL's image. I'm sure nobody has that plan in mind specifically, but it is easy to get used to "the way things are supposed to be". Here, the organization is a bit different, and the culture is a bit different, and it pays to learn the local landscape. But the great thing is, with the user groups, there is plenty of room for all different kinds of subcultures.

Again, and most importantly, welcome!

JimR

I felt the need to add an av as a welcome for the RW migrants.

Cyberic

Maybe the message should be quoted in their many threads?

I'm thinking Sub 1:30 Half-Marathon in 2017, 2017 Sub 3 Marathons... And Beyond,  3:20 Marathoners New and Improved, and so on?

Just a thought.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I'm thinking Sub 1:30 Half-Marathon in 2017, 2017 Sub 3 Marathons... And Beyond,  3:20 Marathoners New and Improved, and so on?

Just a thought.

This was already done, and discussed.

We (by which I mean, 3:20 thread) decided to keep it in Forums/Racing so as to be easily found and joinable by anyone who wants to participate, and so as to encourage those who came from RWOL to participate in other threads in the forums.  We don't do dailies (like the Beginners And Beyond user group).  We just keep it in one thread per year.  That should not be obtrusive, considering the low volume in general in the Racing subforum.

I don't think anyone's trying to remake RA into RWOL.  I've used both forums for many years (RWOL since 2008, and RA since 2011).  I think there is a lot of value to having more participants.

bhearn

FWIW (not much, as I have no authority here anyway), as the OP of this thread, a few very active threads like the 3:00 and the 3:20 don't bother me at all. During the first migration, there were multiple kinds of dailies going at once, which pushed out everything else. Plus, that was before we had the "my topics" feature, which shows activity in threads you've posted in. In fact these issues were what prompted eric :-) to implement that.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

FWIW (not much, as I have no authority here anyway), as the OP of this thread, a few very active threads like the 3:00 and the 3:20 don't bother me at all. During the first migration, there were multiple kinds of dailies going at once, which pushed out everything else. Plus, that was before we had the "my topics" feature, which shows activity in threads you've posted in. In fact these issues were what prompted eric :-) to implement that.

Glad some of the original RA users understand. I completely understand the need to keep threads to a minimum, which is part of the reason we combined the original sub 245 and sub 3 into one thread. I think two marathon threads and one non-marathon thread is probably appropriate. RWOL certainly had more, but hopefully this is a good compromise for everyone involved.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kkittenkat

English Villian

What would Trump do?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Just a thought.

So you think three goal threads on the race forum is considered “many” threads?

There are 50 threads on the 1st page ffs so it shouldn’t be too hard to find whatever thread you’re looking for. No?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

bhearn

There are 50 threads on the 1st page ffs so it shouldn’t be too hard to find whatever thread you’re looking for. No?

?? There are 15 threads that show in Recent Topics. Not sure where you get 50. Anyway I think we have all settled down here.

Joann Y

?? There are 15 threads that show in Recent Topics. Not sure where you get 50. Anyway I think we have all settled down here.

Right, there are 15 and three are always occupied with the new race threads. It's okay but these are three threads that honestly have no general interest as far as I am concerned.