Dear newcomers (Read 2570 times)

Julia1971

My bottom line is that I honestly am excited to have you guys here. It's fun getting to know new people and to learn something from each other. I don't think that any of us should take any offense by pushing each other a little. That's a good thing. We all have something to offer each other if we just listen. Sure, I have reservations about threads that seem to be personal conversations between people, but then again is that because I cannot participate? Is it because the forums are so slow and that is the only activity? I don't know. Should I find something else to do with my time? Probably.

FWIW, the RW transplants I met through the Marathoners Dailies forum are bonafide friends of mine.  I'm so glad they came over and I had the opportunity to get to know them online and in real life.

As far as things to do with your time...  Running?  (Shrug.)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Would solve all of this if those concerned lobbied Eric Smile to put a "ignore this threat" check-box.

I personally use "My Topics" in "All Topics" mode, but it would be nice if I could ignore what I don't wish to see cluttering the top of the pile.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Cyberic

Do you think anybody who is thinking of joining up with RA would feel welcome by this thread at all if they read through it? Honestly, at this point, this thread is an embarrassment and the moderators (if they exist) should remove it.

RA moderators exist to remove spam, not comments, not conversations. At least that's my understanding.

That's why the expression "self-proclaimed moderators" (not from the above quoted message, but from earlier) doesn't make sense to me.

paul2432

I've seen the sub-3:00 thread called a "daily" several times.  People post in it daily, but it is not a daily in the sense of posting your run every day.  Folks only post their runs once a week.  Often the weekly log posting will stimulate discussion about training methods etc.  Later in the week, if someone is racing that weekend, discussion will pick up about goals, strategy, etc.  There are many sub-threads woven through the sub-3:00 thread.  Frankly, if each of those was it's own separate thread (as well as each sub-thread in the other goal threads) new threads would fall off the recent topics thread so quickly that nobody would see most threads unless they checked multiple times per day.  The goal threads give more visibility to other topics, not less.

The issue isn't the goal threads, it's that there are more people posting here more often than before.

bhearn

Would solve all of this if those concerned lobbied Eric Smile to put a "ignore this threat" check-box.

Yes.

an amazing likeness

All the new folks and their activity is great to have onboard, welcome to all.

Hmm...probably a good approach (for all)  to not assume negative intent from others and best intent from ourselves.

Encourage the newcomers (and all) to consider making a donation to the site to fund it and get to ad-free to see how elegant the log and forums are.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

• All the new folks and their activity is great to have.
                • Probably a good approach (for all)  to not assume negative intent from others and best intent from ourselves.
                • Hope the newcomers will consider making a donation to the site to fund it and get to ad-free to see how elegant the log and forums are.

Great points by MT. I'd expect nothing less. I'd also add please consider logging your runs here and making your log public. A log is especially helpful if are posting any sort of training questions. The logs are a really good feature of the site and make training questions easier to answer. Also helps people understand where you are coming from when you answer their questions. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Plus, if you're interested in joining a year long team running game you need to use the RA log. It's a mix of all abilities and mileage goals.

kcam

Great points by MT. I'd expect nothing less. I'd also add please consider logging your runs here and making your log public. A log is especially helpful if are posting any sort of training questions. The logs are a really good feature of the site and make training questions easier to answer. Also helps people understand where you are coming from when you answer their questions. Smile

I nave no problems with the threads the RW peeps have started here.  More users, more threads ... that's good, right?

Agree with Meg about logging here.  Though I know we are all set in our ways, especially regarding how and where we maintain our running logs, logging here would preclude the need for posting daily or weekly diaries of your running.  If someone's interested they'll just look and can see every detail you put in your log.  I've been running for almost three decades and have used paper notebook, Excel, and tried various online logs and I still find RA to be the most useful and reliable.  If you have an issue the owner of the site is right on top of things to help you out.  Give it a try!

bhearn

I originally joined for the forum, and had no interest in maintaining a log here. But the functionality is quite useful, even apart from being able to see each others' logs. Not everyone has a public log, but most long-time users do; it's great that it's the norm. And training discussions are greatly aided by public logs.

Just piling on to the RA log lovefest. My watch sends data to GarminConnect, Strava, Final Surge, and RA. However RA is my log of record. I am constantly discovering new things I can get out the "Reports" function. And yeah, the public logs really let you get your geek on with other people's data too.

Dave

RA is my log of record, too.  And as long as we're on the subject, I think a nice feature would be the ability to "subscribe" to other runners' logs here. Strava is neat to see sometimes, but I think RA does a better job with seeing the whole picture.  Maybe just a list of logs I want to "follow" with a simple link to their summary page.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

RA is my log of record, too. 

you've named your log?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Joann Y

you've named your log?

I have!