Dear newcomers (Read 2570 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I know I hate it here.

Yep. The people here make me run harder and faster, smarter and better.

Man - accountability sucks sometimes!

I PR'd at Philly last week. Took 12 minutes off my previous marathon. Stupid PR's, right?

All because of the people here who actually know what they are talking about. 

Yep. It sure sucks around here.

I'm obviously ruffling some feathers, but what does this have to do with my first impressions of not feeling particularly welcome? FWIW there are a few posters on RW BF who know what they're talking about as well.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Kalsarikännit

The girl in that pic looks like an idiot. And what the hell are on her feet?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

George, having lurked on RA for a couple of years, I can say that both bhearn and WriglyGirl are good guys (or gals). WriglyGirl-George, back in the day, could've taken on bhearn. He is another good guy. Not really a thong-wearing type. I think... I wish we could all get along.

Imminent Catastrophe

I really don't think that they were intending it this way. But this site has alot of groups for various topics and such and they just don't want certain areas getting flooded with things like the dailies or mile games. Its not our "home" and pointing a finger saying they are being mean or rude really isn't fair. They are trying to find a way for us to have what we are accustomed too without coming in hear and molesting what they have spent a lot of time in creating. Just my two cents though.

Well said but, hopefully it IS your "home" now. We're glad to have you.

Here's the thing: RA has been here awhile and its structure has evolved over time, and I think it works pretty well. When the User Groups first appeared a few years ago I worried about the "Balkanization" of the forum--I saw threads on certain User Groups that I thought would be of interest to everyone but would not be seen by most because they were on a subforum. That will always be an issue but by and large I think RAers are pretty good about putting their posts where they belong. 

For example, the "daily" threads really don't belong in the general forum for the very reason that bhearn (the OP) said, because of the way the RA Forum is structured, it bumps a lot of good threads off the "Recent Topics" list, which should be a list of topics that are germane to most or all of us. You don't give a rat's ass about my daily runs, and for that reason I post those to my own user group, not the main forum.

wcrunner-rw, you ARE welcome here. What we are trying to say is, this is NOT RWOL and you should not expect us to change to be like RWOL. RunningAhead works pretty well and when we ask that you fit into the existing format we are not being unfriendly, we are telling you how you can best participate in our community. And if WrigleyGirl and bhearn don't make you feel "welcome" then the problem is yours. They are two of the most experienced and knowledgeable RA members. I'm pretty experienced myself, and they are the people that I ask for advice. Dismiss them at your own peril. 

And another reminder to long-time RAer's: If it's of interest to the genpop, POST IT IN THE BSP!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Pontoons. For the water crossings. Like a floatplane.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Well said.

Running my way to being a little less fat.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Were you genuinely expecting cookies and beer? We keep saying welcome, and congrats of discovering the greatest website on earth. That may not be enough for you. In that case, too bad. You cannot turn this place into Runners World Online presented by Running Ahead, and you will not attack a great guy that has been here a long time and not catch hell for it.

This is the second time you've accused me of attacking the OP. Seems you're a little sensitive for no apparent reason. I expressed my feelings on reading the post and attributed it to the style or personality of the poster rather than the site in general because some of the other posters seemed genuinely warm in their welcome. I have not and have no intentions of trying to turn this site into a replica of RWOL. I have no idea why you are making such an unfounded accusation. If I catch hell for no legitimate reason as you seem bent on doing, be assured I will defend myself. You can keep the cookies and beer, I prefer my homemade fudge.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Hi George, glad you could make over here. Wink

I am still not sure of the rules here but these forums load smooth are easy on the eyes plus no spam!!

And for you regulars having George around will  give this place a lot  of good  running advice from a very experienced runner.

wcrunner - I've posted a couple times a while ago on RW and remember your profile image. In fact I remember you as being one of the ones who made me feel unwelcome there. Just sayin.

Running my way to being a little less fat.

Crap... I hope this is not what the regular posters are like.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...I just had a moment of Deja vu... Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

My thoughts exactly.  Wink  And, the winky means my words read harsh - because yeah, those are like moon shoes - but I would never actually call someone an idiot for their shoe choice.  I don't think...

Personally, I wouldn't find ONE "daily" all that terrible and think it could actually be fun/interesting.  And let's be honest - not every thread in the community forum on RA is a substanative running question and many of them devolve into non-sense.  But, yeah, multiple threads muck up the works.  I need to figure out if I'm investing in hoodies this winter running season and now I have to hunt for my thread...  Sad

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Well said but, hopefully it IS your "home" now. We're glad to have you.

wcrunner-rw, you ARE welcome here. What we are trying to say is, this is NOT RWOL and you should not expect us to change to be like RWOL. RunningAhead works pretty well and when we ask that you fit into the existing format we are not being unfriendly, we are telling you how you can best participate in our community. And if WrigleyGirl and bhearn don't make you feel "welcome" then the problem is yours. They are two of the most experienced and knowledgeable RA members. I'm pretty experienced myself, and they are the people that I ask for advice. Dismiss them at your own peril. 

And another reminder to long-time RAer's: If it's of interest to the genpop, POST IT IN THE BSP!

I don't expect RA to be like RWOL. Whether bhearn and WrigleyGirl are experienced and knowledgeable isn't relevant. Their style and presentation is. Words have meaning and power to convey ideas and thoughts. A mischosen or badly chosen word or turn of phrase can change intent. Feeling unwelcome may be my problem, but the path there was laid by others. I first felt like I was given an ultimatum, then given a dressing down because I expressed a contrary opinion that was specifically noted as a first impression that I was willing to set aside because of other responses.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Julia - 

did you ever post a review of the Pfitz program? I'm about to kick it off the end of Dec for my next training round and would love to hear your thoughts. Direct me to the post if you did. Thanks!

Well this would be the forum to discuss this  type of behavior because it is not about running, kind of like NRR on WR. So expect some opinions that are different than your own.

I try to respect all forum posters. But I do have a temper and sometimes it shows.