Has this been posted anywhere already? USATF banned headphones from all sanctioned races? (Read 1062 times)

i knew individual race events had been banning them lately, but i didn't realize it was an official USATF thing until i caught this article & brian lehrer today: read: ny times article listen: brian lehrer i understand the safety issue, but the competitive edge thing seemed a little odd to me.
      Thanks for posting the article. Like many people, I train with music --- but I don't wear headphones in races. I'm no purist (hence the giant Garmin strapped to my wrist Big grin) but I think that part of a race experience is the sounds -- whether those sounds are cheering crowds or the sound of your feet on a trail. I always thought it was a safety issue Confused ... not so much a competitive edge. I mean, really --- am I going to beat the elite runner because I'm listening to Material Girl and s/he isn't? Tongue
      2009: BQ?
        When I checked my official results for the Applefest HM, I noticed a link, clicked it and found eight runners listed under the following banner: *********************************************** RUNNERS DISQUALIFIED FOR USING PROHIBITED ITEMS *********************************************** I imagine most were for mp3 players, but nobody can claim ignorance. The information is prominently posted on the race webpage. The reason given is insurance requirements, it is a USATF course. Runners only - "No walkers", and none of the following are allowed. No pets, baby strollers, skates, headsets earbuds, mini-speakers anywhere on or around the body. And just to be clear, that means that IPODS in any form or by any other name are not allowed. This is a safety/insurance issue and has nothing to do with a like or dislike of music. It has to do with the potential future cost of insurance and/or the possible lack of availability of insurance for our race. Runners violating this safety rule will be disqualified

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

i train w/ music sometimes-- maybe half the time. i never race with music. however, i recently took my nike+/nano into a race with me withOUT the headphones. my goal for myself for the remainder of the year is to work on my weakest point: my pacing. especially during races, i'm all OVER the place-- so keeping my nike+/nano in my hand and keeping tabs on what i'm doing and how fast or slow i'm doing it helps me learn what a certain pace is supposed to feel like while also feeling all excited about being in a race situation. i know i could just do the same thing with my wristwatch, but i uhhhh i hate fiddling with buttons to get my splits, etc. (sheepish admission)

I've written about running with headphones ad nauseum at my site, mostly because it never fails to bring in readers and traffic. Personally, I don't use them for two main reasons. First, I am good at pacing myself and music would mess with that. I enjoy my environment too much to want the distractions. Second, and more importantly, I've been hit by a car before and I have zero interest in getting hit a second time. That's an even more important reason to minimize distractions. Even when sidewalks and trails are available, I'm a very untrusting person when it comes to contests between myself and something that weighs on the order of 2 tons. No matter who is at fault, I lose. Having seen plenty of morons driving near me when running or biking, and having seen plenty of aftermaths of morons driving from my few years in the fire department when I was in high school, I have no interest in taking part in the car that tries to be funny and then does something the driver isn't expecting. A third reason that I don't wear them during races is that I am a USATF sanctioned runner and the governing body of my sport has ruled them illegal. I don't include it as a top 2 reason because that's new this year and I rarely have run with them before anyway, and never raced.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

According to the rules, GPS devices should also be outlawed. Why have they not been? Getting hit by a car is far more dangerous in training than in a race, when roads are typically blocked off; should headphones not be banned on the street but permitted in a race? What was the USATF's real rationale? According to one poster on another message board, "FWIW, the individual who proposed the rule change is a running club leader in CA who had a runner killed by automobile while the runner was wearing headphones. The USATF has tried for years to educate the running community on the dangers of becoming unaware of their surrounding while training/racing. At some point, apparently last year, they decided that education wasn't enough." With this response, "A terrible tragedy indeed. But correlation doesn't equal causation. There are runners that are hit and killed by automobiles every year that don't have headphones on. Who knows if this runner would have been killed if he/she wasn't wearing headphones...More importantly, this runner was killed while training, right? So assuming the headphones did contribute to the accident, isn't running with headphones during training, on roads open to traffic, the dangerous situation? How does running with headphones on closed roads during a race pose a danger of getting hit by a car? The argument doesn't make any sense."
                AFAIK, this isn't a new USTAF rule. The headphone rule has been on the books a long time. I think its enforcement that is new, and this is driven by the race organizers (and insurers) not the USATF. I only point this out because the title of the thread is a bit misleading, unless I missed something and the USATF actually did something new.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

AFAIK, this isn't a new USTAF rule. The headphone rule has been on the books a long time. I think its enforcement that is new, and this is driven by the race organizers (and insurers) not the USATF. I only point this out because the title of the thread is a bit misleading, unless I missed something and the USATF actually did something new.
                  i was wondering that, too-- when it became the official USATF position wasn't mentioned in the article, and search function on RA didn't turn anything up in the first 3 pages. and trent, i was wondering about the GPS thing, too.

According to the rules, GPS devices should also be outlawed. Why have they not been? Getting hit by a car is far more dangerous in training than in a race, when roads are typically blocked off; should headphones not be banned on the street but permitted in a race?
                    Trent, I would say that for the majority of the races that I run, roads are not completely blocked to traffic, and assuming that they are can lead to problems. Not only that, but a road blocked to traffic doesn't mean that there won't be any. A few years ago, an 80 year old man ignored a police officer and pulled into a bike race, killing three of the cyclists. The biggest problem with headphones isn't with traffic, though, that's just the largest danger if there is a problem. Being unable to hear instructions at the start or while you are on the course is potentially dangerous because you will not hear last minute changes to the course, rules of the road, or guidelines while you are running to keep you going the right way. You won't hear about potential problems such as potholes, etc. As for GPS, I wonder about that myself. You do not have the inherent safety issues (which are there whether you want to admit it or not and whether or not you personally think that you should be allowed to take those risks,) but you do have the "assistence to a runner" - but then again, wrist watches are specifically allowed and does the GPS count as a wrist watch? If you look at the relevant rules (USATF Rules Article 4) and scroll down to rule #144 point #2 that no assistance may be given to runners, and then that point and the next few points define what assistance is. Any sort of electronic device (basically and paraphrased) can be considered assistance. Explicitly allowed are wrist chronometers and heart rate monitors. I have not seen a further definition of this rule; by wrist chronometer, do they mean only the stopwatch functionality of the wrist watch, or any wrist watch style device as long as it doesn't have any sort of display or control influenced by somebody outside of the race? If I use the pace functionality of my wrist watch to tell me how I am doing in relation to my mile splits, does that count as cheating? And if not, then how is GPS any different than that? I haven't really been able to decide how GPS fits into these rules that were written before GPS became a viable solution for most runners. My gut is that they are illegal, because "[...] radio transmitters or receivers, mobile phones, computers or any similar devices in the competition shall not be permitted." I would tend to think that GPS falls into that category of "similar devices".

Run to Win

mikeymike

It's a known fact that wearing headphones makes you slower, so why would you want to do something in a race that is known to make you slower? Here, this is scientific study that you can do to prove that wearing headphones makes you slower. Go to a local road race with more than 200 runners. Count how many iPods you see on the first 50 finishers (usually about zero). Then count iPods on the LAST 50 finishers (usually most of them.) But seriously I think the best reason to ban headphones in races is that people wearing headphones are less aware of their surroundings, which means they're less aware of other runners trying to pass or coming up behind them. Runners who sign up for a race and agree to compete amongst many other runners, should be responsible for being as aware of their surroundings as possible at all times during the race. Here's an article in which one famous race directors debates the merits of the headphone ban: CLICK.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Blaine, thanks. So do Lance's pacers or elites' bunnies count as "assistance"?

Why is it sideways?

Blaine, thanks. So do Lance's pacers or elites' bunnies count as "assistance"?
                          What about the crowds in which the average runner runs? No "assistance" there? Or how about those who pay coaches? Or those whose families show up to encourage them over the last miles? Or the lead pace car, which usually has a clock? Or gu packets that are picked up along the way? Or the latest racing flats? No one ever runs a race without any assistance. The question of "assistance" totally misunderstands the racing experience. It makes the traditional American mistake of assuming that every act we do is somehow isolated from others, unassisted, and independent. This is obviously false. The question that ought to be asked is how does the inclusion of headphones enhance or diminish the racing experience for those who participate? For example, I don't like headphones because, to my mind, they take away from the social dimension of the race. Instead of running with and engaging with other folks, you are running with the same old songs you always listen to. Running with music replaces the assistance that emerges when one feels themselves to be part of a community of runners and competitors with a different, and more sterile, form of assistance. For me, the social form of assistance deepens broadens experience--it is the root, for me, of the "race magic" that we all look for. The other form of assistance, listening to music, insulates and narrows the running experience. If all the folks I ran against wore headphones, it would diminish the racing experience. It is one more way in which we learn to ignore others, as if we needed that. In sum, the issue of "assistance" is a red herring. We ought to ask of any emergent technology: in what ways does it enhance the experience of racing? In what ways does it detract from it? I don't pretend that everyone (or anyone, for that matter) will agree on my account of this experience, or think that because I think this way that headphones ought to be banned for sure. But the issue ought to be decided by thinking clearly and carefully about what the effects of technology have on the racing experience, not whether or not they provide "assistance."
                            I can't speak for the assistance part of running with headphones. I've never been fast enough to win any race. It's a moot point for me. I just can't blame race directors for banning headphones for insurance reasons. I have my Shuffle turned up just enough to hear the music but, low enough to hear my surroundings. I do the same thing with my car stereo. We all know people who blast music who can't hear what's going on around them. For safety reasons, I wouldn't want them in my race either. Mostly, I think headphones in a race is just rude to the other people around you. You wouldn't wear your I-Pod to a party would you? A race is as much a social event as an athletic event, at least for me. You get bored during the race? Try talking.

What about the crowds in which the average runner runs? No "assistance" there? Or how about those who pay coaches? Or those whose families show up to encourage them over the last miles? Or the lead pace car, which usually has a clock? Or gu packets that are picked up along the way? Or the latest racing flats?
                              If you read the articles pdf file that I linked to, assistance is explicitly defined and states what is and is not allowed. Crowds and coaches are not allowed onto the race course or track. You are allowed to yell with your voice from the side of the race anything that you want, but you can not use any sort of electronic device to communicate with the runner nor can you jump in and run with them. As for official pacers in a marathon or other event, they must all start at the beginning of the race along with everybody else and are not allowed to act as a pacer if they get lapped. Basically, they are no different than other competitors except that they get an extra paycheck (be it from the race directors or from a specific competitor.) If the Hanson-Brooks team decides to pace their top guys through and break the wind for them in the trials tomorrow, that will be completely legal even if they drop out as long as they don't dog the first lap and then try to break wind for their teammates after they are caught up to. So that answers about the elite's bunnies, but I am not sure about Lance's pacers. Well, Salazar was certainly legal, Joannie I'm not so sure about. Did she jump in at mile 10 or did she run from the start as well? If she did run from the start, did she start with the men or the women? As far as I know, she jumped in and I doubt that she started w/the elite women, but as a theoretical exercise, I wonder if it would count as being lapped if she was caught after a 30 minute head start, since NYC's course doesn't actually loop at all... The bigger question there, though, is whether NYC is USATF sanctioned and governed, and whether the same pacer rules apply for the world marathon majors as they do for USATF events. I believe that ING bank pays for the insurance for the race, and I've never looked to see who certified the course. Either way, Lance was a publicity stunt and was specifically allowed in NYC. I think that they would tend to allow him to be in the standings as long as he didn't win any awards (which he didn't, I don't believe) that would be governed by any outside body.

Run to Win

Why is it sideways?

If you read the articles pdf file that I linked to, assistance is explicitly defined and states what is and is not allowed.
                                Right. But what we are inquiring into is the adequacy of and justification for the explicit rules about assistance. I am also interested in why the rules of racing are centered around the concept of assistance, instead of something like "the experience of the participants." That the rules are written and clearly defined does not make them right.