unscheduled runs... (Read 611 times)

Today should of been a day off. I am newly running again (since January). I have bumped up my millage. Got lots of aches and pains... should really have rested. Today however my mind needed a run. I needed some mental clarity. Since yesterday was was an off day my stamina was remarkably good. After first 1/2-1mile it felt great. I ended up going farther and harder than I anticipated. Does this happen to you? Do these runs usually end up being quality runs for you? I guess I can call myself a "runner" again, since I can't go long without my "fix". LOL
      Nothing wrong with doing it IMO, but just try to keep your speed down, even if you want to go further than you plan when you set out. Running on recovery days is key to improvement past a certain point, and if you've been running again since January, you may be ready for it. Just watch for nagging injuries and stop it if they start.
        I'm really starting to appreciate the value of recovery runs. To be clear, I don't mean easy runs, which I typically run at about 8:20 pace. Instead, I run recovery runs about a minute slower. It feels really weird to go this slow -- in fact it took me a while to get this type of run down. Once you do, however, they are a good way to to stretch out your legs, burn some fat, and not beat yourself up. I can easily see trading my weekly off day for a recovery day soon. Sorry if this is sort of a hijack.
          You see I am not talking about recovery runs. Even though I have started them. I am talking about an all out kill yourself sorta run because your mind is all messed up and needs to be put in its place. Smile
            Well, even then there's no problem with it, but you have to adjust your schedule for the rest of the week for having done it. That doesn't necessarily mean eliminating a quality day or anything, but take it into account. Nothing wrong with a little flexibility in your schedule though. Good Luck,